1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

An unusual contest...10 $1 prizes for the best TV show ideas!

Discussion in 'Design Contests' started by shogunmike, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Metalwarrior

Metalwarrior Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    -5-Try and see if normal people can create atomic bombs without paying a lot of money :p

-6-Each one of you act like charlatans on the street for one whole day. Begging people to give you money, doing tricks. All of this to earn money.
    The person who made the most money wins and has to invite the other person to the restaurant. The viewer thinks that you will pay, but just when they give you the bill, you run out of the restaurant. :p

What's better than a free meal ? :D

Metalwarrior, Nov 18, 2007 IP
  2. Mike S.

Mike S. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well, if you want to keep it engineering related, but want to try something that is within your capability and resources why don't you try to show your audience how they may be able to break into a safe, and how the audience can better protect their valuables so that they won't ever have to deal with what they will see later in the film where you are challenged to break into a safe.

You can find a potential "victim" before you shoot the challenge portion of the film by talking to people (your best bet may be small business owners) where you can get them to sign a contract/disclaimer where their safe and business will be videotaped with you breaking into it. The audience will just think that you broke into it, and at the end of th challenge after you try to break into the safe if you are successful you can tell the business owner how to better protect his valuables maybe by taking extra security measures like bolting the safe down if you decide to walk our the door with the safe in your hand for say if you pose to dress up as a maintence worker or something.

This idea came from a show that I used to watch on tv where people would sign up for their house to be tested as to their security where then they would meet the thieves and then add extra security to the house, and then at the end of the show they were challenged to break into the house again.

This would also be a great first episode to kick off your season of webisodes, and would definately attract visitors to come back for more.
    It would be a really interesting episode to watch especially with the challenge at the end and it will also inform your audience with anything they can do engineering related to prevent their safes from being broken into to or stolen.

Also, if you have a website can you provide me with the link I would like to watch the episodes when they come out and also the ideas that ylou have already are great. I really like the car into a sub design and if you can't make it into a sub a great thing to look into would be making it into a boat as they were made around WWII I believe. I wrote about them shortly in english class when we were talking about innovations that cold be created to adapt to global warming, and they would be great since portions of the world will be under water, and they would be a great mode of transportation if more floating houses are created like the ones in the neatherlands (i believe thats where they are).

Mike S., Nov 18, 2007 IP
  3. satyrion

satyrion Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Turn a u-boat into a car and a u-boat :D

get a old car from the 80's and let it be a really ugly car full of rust, tune it up and challange some guy with a lambo or a ferrari to a drag race :D taken from viva-la bam

satyrion, Nov 18, 2007 IP
  4. mr_jinsue

mr_jinsue Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Me again,

Create a double decker limo and act like a taxi picking people up on the street.

Another interesting thing to do is fake a kidnapping. Have some guy (actor) walk out a building and you come up to him in balaclavas, bag him and toss him into a car on a busy main drag street :D

mr_jinsue, Nov 18, 2007 IP
  5. mr_jinsue

mr_jinsue Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Anyone's ideas chosen yet?

mr_jinsue, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  6. mr_jinsue

mr_jinsue Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    ShogunMike this is pretty poor, at least update your thread with what is happening. Has any ideas been chose or what?

mr_jinsue, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  7. noxious

noxious Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    i guess he's just as cheap as his prizes ;)

noxious, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  8. mr_jinsue

mr_jinsue Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If nothing further happens in this thread I think I'm gonna negative rep him... shame...

mr_jinsue, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  9. shogunmike

shogunmike Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi guys,

I'm SO SORRY for not replying to this thread earlier! I completely forgot about it. I've been away from DP for a while now (holidays, work etc.).

We've actually put the TV idea on hold for the moment, and are deciding to make a social networking site instead. However, since people have put a lot of effort into the entries I'm still happy to pay as I proposed before. I'll start choosing the entries over the weekend and I'll let people know by Sunday evening.

Is that ok?

Mike.

shogunmike, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  10. mr_jinsue

mr_jinsue Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You really should have replied earlier but at least you didn't ditch the thread all together. Better late than never!

mr_jinsue, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  11. shogunmike

shogunmike Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks guys...

I'll let you know what I decide by Sunday night.

Mike.

shogunmike, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  12. shogunmike

shogunmike Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi guys,

We've chosen the winners. Our favourite is actually from Mr Jinsue (it was the one that had us laughing the most when we read it!) about delivering a pizza from one pizza shop to another. This would work quite well on film! Mr Jinsue also seemed to put in the most effort and had the broadest range of ideas, so we've reflected that in the prize list.

Congratulations Mr Jinsue, you've been awarded $10 (for the top prize) + $5 (for the 5 extra gags) = $15.

There were some awesome runners up! I especially liked Investawise's looking up in the sky gag. That was a close second! Ok, so here's the list without further ado:

Mr Jinsue - $10 - Pizza delivery
    Investawise - $1 - Looking up in the sky (this one had me laughing for a long time!)
    Satyrion - $1 - Fireworks in the microwave (ouch!)
    Mr Jinsue - $1 - iPod into a mobile phone (although it looks like the iPhone has already done it!)
    Mr Jinsue - $1 - Fake resumes (I'd love to be a lawyer for a day!)
    Mr Jinsue - $1 - Get a bunch of junk...
    Satyrion - $1 - Go to a place of work and just start work (can you imagine going to a construction site?!)
    Miccas - $1 - Turn a car into a boat (it was done on Top Gear, but I'm sure we could do it again!)
    Mike S. - $1 - Breaking into a safe (a bit like Brainiac, and still cool!)
    Mr Jinsue - $1 - Double decker limo (just like a London bus eh?)
    Mr Jinsue - $1 - Fake kidnappying (although doing this in London may get us shot!)

Right, I'm going to PM you all now. I'll be paying by PayPal. It's about 10:30am in the UK here now, and I will be going out at about 13:30 until around 21:00, so if I receive your PM before 13:30, I'll pay you then, but otherwise I won't be able to send the money until 21:00 (UK time) or so! I hope that's ok.

Thanks again, and apologies for the lateness of the replies. It won't be happening again!

Cheers,

Mike.

shogunmike, Jan 13, 2008 IP
    gamertalk likes this.