1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Find me a website that has #1 in Google for a quality keyword with a 0 PR

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gregdavidson, Jan 10, 2008.

Everybody is saying that PR means nothing. Therefore, I decided to bring on this challenge to everyone who believes this. Find me a 0 PR website that is #1 in Google for a highly competitive keyword (not phrase) and I will believe that PR means absolutely nothing. I can bet that nobody can.

gregdavidson, Jan 10, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 and jhnrang like this.
  2. Brinked

Brinked Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    just because a website shows a PR0 does not mean it is a PR0, will most likely get a decent PR ranking on the next update.

PR does mean something, nobody can deny that. For example, any site ranking #1 for any competitive either ranks number 1 for either:

quality backlinks
    Domain Age
    Quality Backlinks and Domain Age.

Any one of the above results in pagerank. Many people say that Pagerank has no influence on the SERPS which is true to an extent. PageRank is a product of quality backlinks and/or domain age, but backlinks and domain age are not a product of pagerank.

People who say PR means nothing try to rationalize that by saying a site with PR2 can rank higher for a keyword than a PR4 site can. This is entirely true...but all that means is the PR2 site has better targeted backlinks where as the PR4 site may rank lower for that keyword because it doesnt have as many targeted backlinks for said term, but their links are more diverse which makes them rank higher for other keywords.

Brinked, Jan 10, 2008 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  3. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The point that I'm trying to make is that you cannot get #1 for a quality keyword in Google without pagerank. People can talk about their theories and information they read but it doesn't excuse that fact.

4. bogs

bogs Active Member

Best Answers:
    ranking a highly competitive keyword just like you said, usually takes time.. and before you get on top the PR is already on its update... and yes its possible that PR 2 site have a good rankings than a PR4 site... depends on its kws..

bogs, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  5. live-cms_com

live-cms_com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have had good rankings while the toolbar said my site was PR0, but when Google updated it was PR5. :p

live-cms_com, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  6. Gold_Hunter

Gold_Hunter Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe : Google made PR as a factor from many factors which influence SERP.
    If PR means nothing, Google never create that or PR deleted from their system

Gold_Hunter, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  7. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    This is EXACTLY what I thought would happen. I'm getting a lot of theories but no direct answers. I don't think anybody is going to find a 0 PR website with a #1 position for a quality keyword. Therefore, I think I've rested my case here.

8. live-cms_com

live-cms_com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Then why display it publicly? The SERPs would still be the same even if they didn't display PR in the toolbar.

live-cms_com, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  9. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    If you think I'm wrong then find me a website and I will believe you.

10. Brinked

Best Answers:
    gregdavidson,

You need to come to the realization that people just don't know what they are talking about. You shouldn't need to post a new thread trying to prove your point. As long as you know what you are doing and you know your way is correct, who cares about the people that don't get it? thats their problem. If they can't understand the importance of PR then it's their own fault and ignorance for not doing their homework.

Why stop there, why don't you track down all your competitors and tell them that there SEO strategy is all wrong so that they can all outrank you.

Brinked, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  11. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh boy... here we go agian. :rolleyes:

That's like saying "show me a website that ranks # 1 on Google with no backlinks."

Pagerank has very little importance I have numerous PR3 sites that outrank PR6 sites for some very competitive keywords.

larysmith711, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  12. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
  13. Brinked

Best Answers:
    smindsrt,

I already took care of your response in my first response in this thread.

Brinked, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  14. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    I'm in the top 10 for the phrase "real wholesale" but that isn't #1 and isn't a competitve keyword. There is no way I can get #1 for the phrase "wholesale" because I don't have PR and that is a quality keyword.

15. loredan

loredan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR does not influence the rankings. The quality of the backlinks and domain age does. In 3 months (a PR update cycle) there will be no site able to rank #1 for a high competitive kw...no matter its page rank. Take for example a pr4 website and try to rank it in 3 months for a high competitive kw and you'll see you have no chance...

The websites on the first positions are old, well established sites and it is logical that during the years they achieve PR as well.

Talking about good positions, I have a PR 1site that ranks #1 and #2 for a 41 million kw and #10 for 71 Million. Also ranks first page for another 5 or 6 kws.
    Is that good enough to prove you are wrong?

Hope this helps

Thanks

loredan, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  16. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The whole algorithm google uses to rank websites is based around PageRank. At least that what they say on their website !
    So PR is important but PR alone will not rank your websites high in serps ....

iatbm, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  17. linsys

linsys Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude you obviously have no IDEA what you are talking about. Let me explain why PR is not important.

PR is a measure of backlinks, I could have a PR of 10 and if all the backlinks linked to me and said "Bob is a noob and sucks at life" then I would never rank for anything good.

Obviously PR is an after effect of a good SEO strategy and proper back linking.

Here is an example, lets look at the keyword "Mortgage"

Result #1 - PR 5
    Result #2 - PR 5
    Result #3 - PR 6
    Result #4 - PR 6
    Result #5 - PR 5
    Result #6 - PR 7

Case dismissed. Its amazing how the PR 5 sites out rank the PR 7 site for one of the MOST competitive keywords in the market today.

So at the end of the day if I am better at SEO then my competitor it doesn't matter if they have a PR 8 and I have a PR 5 I CAN out rank them.

In regard to you making posts like "This is EXACTLY what I thought would happen. I'm getting a lot of theories but no direct answers. I don't think anybody is going to find a 0 PR website with a #1 position for a quality keyword. Therefore, I think I've rested my case"

I don't think ANYONE has ever said that a PR0 site will rank for anything, if you can find me the post of someone saying that then do it. When people say PR doesn't matter what they mean is that PR shouldn't be used as a measuring tool for deciding how well you are doing with SEO. Obviously if you build back links you will get PR, the point is that people should focus on what anchor text and quality of links they are getting before they get their panties in a bunch about their PR.

linsys, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  18. Brinked

Best Answers:
    Linsys...Result #1 outranks Result #3 for the term "mortgage" BECAUSE it has better quality backlinks for the term "Mortgage". the wikipedia doesnt need to do off-site SEO because its such a high authority website in google. Plus result #1 is a top level domain www.domain.com wikipedia page is a sub directory off a sub domain...the power of wikipedia my friend.

Case dismissed...kthnxownt

Brinked, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  19. linsys

linsys Peon

Best Answers:
    Ummm.. thats what I just said, which is why PR is not important. Because the lower PR site has better backlinks then the PR7 site, so AGAIN the site with better SEO wins not better PR.

linsys, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  20. Brinked

Best Answers:
    linsys..you are not understanding me..

Site #1 is not outranking Site #3 based on its PR, if it was based on PR we can both agree that wikipedia would be #1 if that were the case. do a

link:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage

and link:mortgage101.com

you will see wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage has under 200 reported backlinks by google

and mortgage101.com has over 500 backlinks reported by google

mortgage101.com ranks number 1 in google because it has more targetted backlinks for said term..NOT because of PR...

You simply dont understand PR, if what you are saying was true...would mean you know more about googles algorithm than they do..which you don't, its much more complicated than "site 1 outranks site 3 and has a lower pagerank therefore PR means nothing" thats very silly to say and simply means you do not understand the formula google uses to rank websites for terms, I am not claiming I do...but I have a grasp of its concept...you have no understanding of it what so ever if you believe what you're saying.

Google does not take into effect just pagerank when deciding how to rank websites for given terms, there are many factors that go into it...something which you do not understand for example here are a list of factors that determine a sites ranking on a given keyword:

keyword in website URL
    keyword in website title
    keyword in domain name
    Age of website
    number of backlinks to website with keyword in it
    quality of backlinks to website with keyword in it
    etc etc.

Brinked, Jan 10, 2008 IP