1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bush and Global warming!

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by anthonycea, Jan 29, 2006.

The Bush administration is trying to keep a scientist quiet that has been speaking out about the global warming issue!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1552862

Jan 28, 2006 — NEW YORK (Reuters) - NASA's top climate scientist said the Bush administration has tried to stop him from speaking out since he gave a lecture in December calling for prompt reductions in emissions of greenhouse gases, The New York Times said on Saturday.

In an interview with the newspaper, James Hansen, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, said that officials at the space agency's headquarters had ordered the public affairs staff to review his lectures, papers, postings on the Goddard Web site and requests for interviews from journalists.

"They feel their job is to be this censor of information going out to the public," the Times quoted Hansen as saying, adding that the scientist planned to ignore the new restrictions.

A NASA spokesman denied any effort to silence Hansen, the Times said. "That's not the way we operate here at NASA," said Dean Acosta, deputy assistant administrator for public affairs. "We promote openness and we speak with the facts."

Rather, the spokesman said the restrictions applied to any and all NASA personnel who could be seen by the public as speaking for the agency. Acosta added, however, that while government scientists were free to discuss scientific findings, policy statements should be left to policy makers and appointed spokesmen, the Times said.

The story was posted on its Web site and will be published in Sunday's editions.

Hansen, a physicist who joined the space agency in 1967, is an authority on climate who directs efforts to simulate the global climate on computers at Manhattan's Goddard Institute.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that the administration has a lot of data that they wish to keep hidden from the American citizens on another issue that is vital to all of us!

anthonycea, Jan 29, 2006 IP
    ZuraX likes this.
  2. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    PErsonally I could give a crap less about Global Warming. Its not going to affect me or my kids lives... So why do I care?

Just my thoughts...

Nanofied, Jan 29, 2006 IP
    Lever likes this.
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Where do you live :confused:

Experts predict that cities like Miami, San Diego and many other coastal cities are in grave danger due to global warming!

Did you see what happened to New Orleans :confused:

4. CoolioVendetta

CoolioVendetta Peon

Best Answers:
    So basically your saying all the people that are affected by it can &£@! off and suffer the consiquences? We're all contributing to the damage, so we should all help to minmise the effects.

CoolioVendetta, Jan 29, 2006 IP
    anthonycea likes this.
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    What goes around comes around, if you destroy your brother you destroy yourself in the end too!

Europe is much more progressive than the United States, China, Russia and other nations with their laws, you will have to make all packaging out of materials so that when they are burned they give off little toxic smoke!

These laws make sense!

6. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    Lmao I live like 25 minutes from Pittsburgh (GO Steelers!). That and I am a sponsored so snowboarder, so you would think I would be concerned... but im not. No one is going to be able to stop the world from drive their cars or anything like that, so why worry. If it gets to be a problems, than oh well in my opinion.

7. Henny

Henny Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't believe the hype, again, there is currently global warming on mars, also, what caused the mini ice age 400 years ago. We can do nothing to cause or stop it. PULLLL LEASE.

Henny, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Sure Henny, we will take your word over the chief NASA scientist for sure! :)

Henny has Bush ever done anything wrong or ever broke any laws while President :confused:

9. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    I dont like bush one bit, but personally the only president I did like was Bill Clinton for all the good he did for the country such as getting us out of debt. And I mean come on, he was the first guy to cheat on his wife in the white house. How sweet is that!

10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Hell Nixon was better than the Bush Goons!

11. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree... I personally think that 911 was some type of set up by the bush crew, after watching a video I found on google showing a missle being shot from the plain like a second before impact. I wish I could find that video again. I think it is on the news tonight or something.

Nanofied, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    More on this enormous crisis for all humans!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/28/AR2006012801021.html

Debate on Climate Shifts to Issue of Irreparable Change

Some Experts on Global Warming Foresee 'Tipping Point' When It Is Too Late to Act

By Juliet Eilperin
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, January 29, 2006; Page A01

Now that most scientists agree human activity is causing Earth to warm, the central debate has shifted to whether climate change is progressing so rapidly that, within decades, humans may be helpless to slow or reverse the trend.

This "tipping point" scenario has begun to consume many prominent researchers in the United States and abroad, because the answer could determine how drastically countries need to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions in the coming years. While scientists remain uncertain when such a point might occur, many say it is urgent that policymakers cut global carbon dioxide emissions in half over the next 50 years or risk the triggering of changes that would be irreversible.

There are three specific events that these scientists describe as especially worrisome and potentially imminent, although the time frames are a matter of dispute: widespread coral bleaching that could damage the world's fisheries within three decades; dramatic sea level rise by the end of the century that would take tens of thousands of years to reverse; and, within 200 years, a shutdown of the ocean current that moderates temperatures in northern Europe.

The debate has been intensifying because Earth is warming much faster than some researchers had predicted. James E. Hansen, who directs NASA's Goddard Institute of Space Studies, last week confirmed that 2005 was the warmest year on record, surpassing 1998. Earth's average temperature has risen nearly 1 degree Fahrenheit over the past 30 years, he noted, and another increase of about 4 degrees over the next century would "imply changes that constitute practically a different planet."

"It's not something you can adapt to," Hansen said in an interview. "We can't let it go on another 10 years like this. We've got to do something."

Princeton University geosciences and international affairs professor Michael Oppenheimer, who also advises the advocacy group Environmental Defense, said one of the greatest dangers lies in the disintegration of the Greenland or West Antarctic ice sheets, which together hold about 20 percent of the fresh water on the planet. If either of the two sheets disintegrates, sea level could rise nearly 20 feet in the course of a couple of centuries, swamping the southern third of Florida and Manhattan up to the middle of Greenwich Village.

anthonycea, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  13. digimania

digimania Peon

Best Answers:
    As what the term says, Global warming is a global phenomenon is everybody who lives on earth is affected by it. :)

digimania, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I think he lives on a houseboat.....:rolleyes:

15. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Wow, so not only is Bush smart enough to steal one, but two elections, he's also smart enough to pull off 9/11 and now he's smart enough to change the entire course of a planet with global warming! And some people say he can't even count to ten!

GTech, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  16. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    You're right GTech, nothing is his fault, just ask Greenspeace :D

17. GTech

Best Answers:
    Well, which is it, AC? Is he *that* smart, or is he dumb? Stop trying to pull a Kerry...you can't have it both ways :D

GTech, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    He is smart as hell for acting dumb while stealing Trillions..........:eek:

19. GTech

Best Answers:
    Is he entitled to a side order of nacho cheese with that? :D

GTech, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  20. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    JOhn kerry tired to act conservative towards the end of his campaign. His wife didnt help the situation.

IamNed, Jan 30, 2006 IP