1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why I Joined DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CoolCopy, Jan 8, 2008.

After being contacted today by someone here for a quote, and then being insulted after giving them my rates, I decided to start a new thread explaining exactly why I decided to join the Digital Point Forum.

I came here because I saw many new marketers and copywriters who wanted information - information which I believe my background qualifys me to offer.

I did not come here to compete for jobs!

I'm not even actively looking for new clients this year, as my plate is full enough with the already numerous hats I wear. I am a copywriter, a consultant, and a teacher. Those things take up more than enough of my time.

Allow me to repeat: to all writers here at DP, I am not your competition!

What I am here for is to offer guidance to anyone who may ask it, assistance to as many as I am able, and perhaps to make a few dollars off of my own products (though that is a very distant third to the first two).

Quite frankly, I have been in this business far too long to worry about competing with any of you on price. My rates are nowhere near cheap, and I see no need to change that.

I am here to meet new writers, to make a few new friends, and to help as many people as I am able. Nothing more, nothing less.

This thread is going to be a part of my signature for as long as it remains live, so allow me to close with this small note to anyone thinking of asking me for a quote in the future:

And to my writing colleagues, I appreciate you allowing me to rant a bit. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you, and to making many new friends in the year 2008!

CoolCopy, Jan 8, 2008 IP
    DeniseJ and jhmattern like this.
  2. writing_life

writing_life Active Member

Best Answers:
    Um... I have a writing project. Could you give me a quote, please?

Just kidding! I'm sorry you were forced to rant. There are some great people here on DP. And there are some bum-holes. Though I don't post much, I've read your posts with interest-- you've helped me to develop an idea of what to expect if and when I've gained a better foothold in this business. So you're getting a good start! (helping people here, that is.)

-Karen

writing_life, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  3. CoolCopy

CoolCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    Karen,

Lol! Thanks for that! I agree that there are some really good people here; and I've been fortunate enough to meet several of you since I started posting. Thanks!

And I am so glad that you've been helped by some of what I've tried to offer. That's really all I'm here for, like I said.

So anyway, here's my raised glass to all the good people I've been fortunate enough to meet here - thank you! :)

CoolCopy, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  4. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about it. At least you came in already knowing that you don't have to compete with cheap writers. A lot of writers here just don't get that. :)

There are plenty of us in a similar boat price-wise. DP won't necessarily lead to a LOT of gigs, but you may be surprised to find some high-paying clients here privately if you ever are looking to take on someone new. :)

It sounds like you're here for good reasons. If nothing else, it can be a great place to network with other writers and make contacts with those involved in Web publishing (even if they can't afford you, they often help to spread the word to people who can). :)

jhmattern, Jan 8, 2008 IP
    ezmoneyonline likes this.
  5. CoolCopy

CoolCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    Jenn (it is Jenn, isn't it:confused:),

Thanks for that. From what I've seen on your website, your experience says you know exactly where I'm coming from.

I'm sure it will seem to many that I came out of nowhere and started suddenly posting every which way; and since I know there are a lot of writers here who make their livings off of DP, it was important to me that I let those writers know I'm not here trying to take jobs from them. I'm just happy for the chance to connect with other writers, make a few friends, and help those I can.

CoolCopy, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  6. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Yes, it's Jenn... sorry... wouldn't fit in my sig this time around. :(

Even if you were trying to take jobs from them, I wouldn't worry. The ones that act even remotely professionally wouldn't pitch a fit... they'd just learn to compete. ;)

7. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah Jessalynn, try and not sweat it. Next time you get a jerkwad response write them back saying that if they can't afford all of the content that they want you could sell them a couple of words that they could use at ten cents a pop. I call it content writing for employers on a budget. A buck gets you ten words.

chant, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  8. CoolCopy

CoolCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll have to remember that one, lol!

Yep, the words that were used were along the lines of "if you were the last writer in the world, I wouldn't pay you that much, and neither will anyone else at DP."

Hmm... okay :)

But I've got to remember that ten words bit :p

CoolCopy, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  9. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    lol They obviously haven't been around DP very long, or they're simply not mingling with enough webmasters. Plenty here pay $.10 / word or more (they're just not dumb enough to advertise that fact publicly, and get bombarded with PMs and quotes from crappy writers hoping for a "raise" without any added effort). What you specialize in will determine what people pay you to some degree too... I know I mentioned this elsewhere recently, but as an example, at my last year's rates, I was making $.20 - .30 / word on most press releases (with MANY being for DP clients). The gigs are out there. Not all webmasters are cheap (thankfully). You just won't get those gigs by trying to fit in with the "typical" DP writer. You're definitely going about things the right way. :)

10. eFYI

eFYI Peon

Best Answers:
    CoolCopy and Jenn please continue with your inspirational and informative posts. They are greatly appreciated.

eFYI, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  11. WriterMLH

WriterMLH Peon

Best Answers:
    Jessalyn (love your name BTW) -
    Thank you so much for taking your time to write this post. I appreciate that you have come here to network with our writers and share your knowledge and experiences. You provide other writers with so much encouragement.
    Thanks again.
    Marce

WriterMLH, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  12. CoolCopy

CoolCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you Marce :), and everyone else
    who's offered their sentiments. You've reminded
    exactly why I came here to begin with!

I am so glad to be able to meet all of you! And
    please, if anyone ever has any questions, I am
    always just an email or PM away! :)

CoolCopy, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  13. rayaan

rayaan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jessalynn

Is your name really "Coolbaugh?" That's just too cool for words!:D

Anyway, I am glad there are going to be more mentors on this forum - Jenn and a couple of others were the only ones piping in with great advice.

I look forward to picking your brains! :)

rayaan, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  14. CoolCopy

CoolCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Rayann,

Yes, that really is my name. Lol! Looking forward to having them picked! :cool:

CoolCopy, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  15. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    Mine FIRST name is Anne Moss. So I have the double name thing happening, too. It's a Southern thing.

And I'm here to exchange ideas. When you work in a home office, you can easily get the feeling you are working in a vacuum.

webgal, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  16. vabeaty

vabeaty Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's awful that some buyers expect quality but don't want to pay for quality. I commend you for sticking your ground and telling them where to go:p I also appreciate all the great information and help that you give, along with Jenn, Rebecca and Denise. You all are a wonderful inspiration to those of us who have less experience in the field.

vabeaty, Jan 9, 2008 IP
    CoolCopy likes this.
  17. bluewriter

bluewriter Banned

Best Answers:
    LOL. I thought I was alone :D

I usually go to mom's site for a chitchat.

bluewriter, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  18. hitboy

hitboy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've actually never seen you on DP before but this is a big forum =). I would like to see some of your sample writings as I am always looking for writers Thanks

hitboy, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  19. nontemplates

nontemplates Peon

Best Answers:
    Its the nature of the web actually. A great deal of it flows over from web design where everyone and his dog claims to be a web designer/web master. People see that and think everyone should be starving - just happy to eat once a day - service providers. I'm happy to see professionals draw the line every now and again. Good work!

nontemplates, Jan 9, 2008 IP
    CoolCopy likes this.
  20. CoolCopy

CoolCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks to everyone for all the support and encouraging comments! It's nice to know that I'm not alone when I decide to stand my ground on things like this.

All I can really say now is just how glad I am to have met everyone here, and that I went ahead and joined DP in the first place! You really are a great bunch of writers! :)

Aside to HitBoy -- My site is thevoiceofcopy.com; but right now I'm not taking on any new clients. Great to meet you though!

CoolCopy, Jan 9, 2008 IP