1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ and nature of content

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by WebmasterTradeCenter, Jan 27, 2006.

I have started a funny stuff site last month. I have over 30 original animations on it and I am adding more regularly. I have heard that DMOZ only lists those sites which have original content.

I was thinking to add jokes and games to my site. Would that become a reason of my site being rejected in the DMOZ if it had some original and some public/shareware content?

It will increase the stickyness of the site and may double my SE traffic due to more content pages. Is it worth taking the risk?

Thanks for your help.
    Chodhry!

WebmasterTradeCenter, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  2. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    You should not build a site for DMOZ or any other directory or searchengine.
    Build the site for your intended visitors. Would these jokes and games be of interest for them. If the answer is yes add them. If the answer is "no, they have seen them dozens of times on other sites" don't add them.
    A listing in DMOZ or any other directory is only a bonus it must never be the purpose of your site / content.

pagode, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  3. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    Original is good, but not a requirement; unique and quality content is. If your site adds value to the category and presents quality content to your visitors, it will be listed. Make sure, like pagode mentioned, you design your site for the intended audience; which should not be DMOZ editors;) .

riz, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  4. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What? You shouldn't design a site for a visitor who may (or may not) visit after 2 years? *BA-ZING* :D

lorien1973, Jan 27, 2006 IP
    Dio likes this.
  5. WebmasterTradeCenter

WebmasterTradeCenter Peon

Best Answers:
    But dont you guys think it all depends upon each other. Without DMOZ listing you may not get good SE traffic and without different kind of content you may not get your users come again to your site. So we have to find out a ballance of both. Thats why I was asking if it is ok to add some public content with your own unique content.

The site belongs to humor catagory and definately adds some value because these are good quality animations and generally my users like to share them with their family and friends.

Can any bidy tel if the competition is just too much in it. I mean how many sites in a catagory would be considered as too much of compitition?

6. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No offence, but that's nonsense. :D

Dio, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  7. WebmasterTradeCenter

Best Answers:
    Well, I know you can get good results but generally DMOZ listing helps, no?

8. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Slightly, but no more then making a site that other people link to because it has good content - a number of good natural links should well outweigh one DMOZ link - and given the traffic it will generate its not worth worrying about for the 3 visitors a year it will bring you. :)

The are many other ways to get good SE ranking.

Dio, Jan 27, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  9. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Since DMOZ only lists sites with original and unique content (notwithstanding quality control issues in some places), using the best example out of listed sites within a category as a benchmark isn't a bad idea. It should mean that if your site is reviewed (and if is a big if) that it will be included. While it isn't reviewed then at least you know you have a better site than 90% of those out there on the Internet and it should attract visitors nonetheless. There is a difference between using existing listings as a benchmark of quality and designing a site specifically for DMOZ if that design is aimed at the minimum requirement - the latter are generally unsuccessful.

brizzie, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  10. WebmasterTradeCenter

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your tips guys. I have decided to add public content (games, jokes) on the site as well. I am sure my visitors will love them.

WebmasterTradeCenter, Feb 16, 2006 IP