1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

6 years and still waiting. Advice please?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by attick, Jan 1, 2008.

1. attick

attick Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the information. I had made a request for my host to do a submission but had no idea it went through. I received a report about an hour ago.

attick, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  2. sweetlouise

sweetlouise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    move on is my advice, the corruption in dmoz will eventually become its downfall and yahoo directory will take over.

sweetlouise, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  3. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Advice? Keep waiting :D

aspidov, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  4. pc_user

pc_user Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't mean to seem mean but you are just wasting your time. 6 years, come on, going to have this talk again in 6 years? Give up, put your time into things that will matter.

pc_user, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  5. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Waiting for what? There isn't anything to wait for. You have made a suggestion to dmoz.org. A suggestion that the editors might find your URL useful in their quest to build the directory. An editor will eventually review the suggestion and if they agree it will be included. If it doesn't fit what the directory is looking for, it won't.

In either case, waiting for something that may or may not ever happen is pointless I am afraid. Whether listed or not, the important thing is to continue to build your site to suit the needs of your visitors/customers. Not sit and wait for one link in one directory.

shadow575, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  6. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Another point, Dmoz editors will only approve your site if they find your site to be deemed useful. I've seen countless people on web forums applying for Dmoz editor status and getting approved, even though they have very little, or even no interest in the subject whatsoever. I personally would think 'sh!t yeah, pedal cars for big kids:D'. Unfortunately, not everyone will be of the same view. Again, in 6 years you could have spent all your wasted time setting up an informative site, loading adsense and something like kontera into it, and the revenue generated over 6 years would easily surpass the $299 Yahoo directory listing fee per year. Think about it;)

Spider-Man, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  7. bochgoch

bochgoch Peon

Best Answers:
    Advice ~ forget about it ... what are you wanting from DMOZ?

At best you may get a slight PR boost and DON'T expect any traffic!

bochgoch, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  8. ThaiHF

ThaiHF Peon

Best Answers:
    May I have chance to visit your site.

ThaiHF, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  9. danger9918

danger9918 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WOW .. 6 years and still waiting ??? i submitted, waited for 2 months and gave up :p

danger9918, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  10. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think the description is the reason his site has not been included even though a rewrite wont hurt.

My advice: if the category you are submitting to is full of sites they won't include your Period, find some other category that has less sites.
    Don't submit over and over not every 4 months at least it will piss them off, once a year but change category. (also different category different editor might do the trick)

Chios, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  11. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well that's a new one on me. I'd no idea that some categories had quotas :confused:.

However, if a website doesn't add value to the directory, there's no point in us listing it. We're after unique content. Yet another Yellow Pages clone (for example) wouldn't add that.

Most websites fit best in just one category (ignoring Regional for the moment). If you suggest yours to a sub-optimal one, whoever eventually processes it should just send it off to the optimal one. You might as well speed things up (and conserve our volunteer resources) by suggesting it to there in the first place :).

jimnoble, Jan 6, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  12. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    The explanation of what has happened has already been given - the site still is awaiting review by an editor. No telling when that will be. Don't resubmit (because that will put the suggestion to the bottom of the list if the editor sorts by date order, which is one of the default ways of looking at the queue). Don't bother with what keywords are in the description - a lot of descriptions are completely re-written by editors anyway to try to get it closer to the ODP guidelines, so you probably will just waste your time.

Best bet is that now you know it awaits review, you use your time to find other ways to promote the site, other than the ODP. There's nothing more that you can do that will truly improve the time taken to review the site, unless you want to take a wider view and volunteer to become and editor, and list other sites, as well as yours.

Alucard, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  13. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unique is really in the eye of the beholder if you ask me. If the category has lots of listings and a new site wants to be included its easy to be perceived like any of the rest and be thrown out unjustly, so in that sense you can actually say there are quotas.

Jim, I am very curious
    I have also heard that some editors are only including sites of their own or their friends and throwing out legitimate competitor's sites, does that rumor hold ?? Are there checks and balances for this kind of situation ?

Chios, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  14. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Editors caught behaving that way tend to be ex-editors pretty quickly. If you know of one, as opposed to thinking that it's taking too long to list your website, please report him/her by following the report abuse/spam link at the top of the category page or by visiting http://report-abuse.dmoz.org/. There's a FAQ there which explains the system.

jimnoble, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  15. thatdaveguy

thatdaveguy Peon

Best Answers:
    i tried submitting do dmoz twice to no avail. as far as i'm concerned, kissing their arrogant asses is not necessary for the success of my website. screw dmoz.

thatdaveguy, Jan 7, 2008 IP
    sweetlouise likes this.
  16. sweetlouise

sweetlouise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well said, took the words from my mouth

sweetlouise, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  17. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can't get beyond the fact that your made a suggestion not a submission for a listing, its never going to make sense unfortunately.

shadow575, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are certain metric parameters that you can achieve in order to get a good result in SEO. Some of these are:

No. of Links pointing to full URL
    Position at Google for first four words of title tag on target URL
    Age of Domain
    Links from domains with .edu or .gov TLDs
    Internal Link Percent
    Number of links according to Technorati
    Number of search results for URL search at del.icio.us
    Listings in DMOZ (ODP)
    Links found in Wikipedia

I hope that helps. A DMOZ listing helps because it is a quality listing referred to by all major SE.

popotalk, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  19. ctrlfreak

ctrlfreak Member

Best Answers:
    I have also been trying to get into DMOZ for quite some time, but have given up any chance at all of getting listed.
    I own a music genre domain and can't even get listed under the same genre, how rediculous is that?

:(

ctrlfreak, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  20. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Holy cow, what have you done with the real popotalk? :)

Pretty hard to say without knowing the URL and category. ;) Just owning a domain does = being listable in DMOZ. If the site does in fact meet the guidelines and category description, the most probable reason for it not being listed, is not having been reviewed yet. Again without knowing the site and category its impossible to determine.

shadow575, Jan 7, 2008 IP