1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

YPN - The Sad Fact of Why You Will Get Dumped!!!

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by BluePhoenix, Jan 25, 2006.

I think all of us that either are or were in the YPN Beta will understand exactly why you should avoid joining the program.

I have recently been given the boot by Yahoo saying that I received too much non U.S. based traffic. Or at least that's what the email stated. The truth behind this is that YPN wants to test everything out, without concern for you the tester or the money you earn.

You see while YPN says that you must only get U.S. based traffic they fail to realize that you are on the world wide web. For must of us that means that you need to know how to block the ads from displaying to non U.S. based traffic. The sad fact is that you could earn alot of money but when it comes time to get paid you get the email dropping you from the program.

Yet this is not the only problem, they will also drop you if conversions on the otherside of the ad become low. So lets say that you target the word "vitamins" and dump alot of traffic. If that traffic doesn't convert for the person that is paying for the ad you might get dropped. The best part of the whole deal is that it is all controled by the system and no one at Yahoo can give you an answer.

The conclusion of all of this is that you might pay for traffic or you might dump traffic in so that a big YPN paycheck visits your house but reality will set in and your stomach will churn when the money finally gets chopped, hacked, and torn to pieces once they kick you out for no reason.

My Suggestion: Stay away from YPN and wish them the best of luck. Maybe when they can actually target a page (or subpage) I'd rejoin, but for now the chance of losing thousands in revenue isn't worth it.

BluePhoenix, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Where is the proof of this? Or is it just some claim in the air you are making?

When you signed up did you even bother to read this

I have many sites that get 85% of their traffic from the US, and I am also "on the world wide web".

If you are going to post something like this do it with honest claims, not just sour grapes.

fryman, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  3. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    So should we block ads from international viewers then Fryman even though all my sites are U.S. targeted and not really made for international visitors?

SEO Jeff, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    It is common sense. If I applied to the network I would use a site I know that gets 80% of its traffic from the US.

If you don't have such a site why do you even bother applying?. Thats like seeing a job opening that says "fluent Spanish needed" and you apply even though you only know how to say "taco" and "adios"

fryman, Jan 25, 2006 IP
    Trippen likes this.
  5. SEMWorld

SEMWorld Peon

Best Answers:
    Where did you get this 80% number from?

On another note there are programs out there that can detect where traffic is coming from and I guess run ypn ads when it's a US visitor or Adsense when it's non-US.

SEMWorld, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  6. nt99

nt99 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I use one on my site because I get 55% non-US traffic (which the resulting 45% is still about 8,000 uniques a day)

For the first month, I didn't use the filter because I didn't know they would ban you for non-US traffic. I then implemented the script and they noted my account that I had done so. Still crossing my fingers that I won't be banned because it would be a significant loss.

Does anyone know if they would still pay you if they banned you? I have heard both.

nt99, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  7. grantmd

grantmd Guest

Best Answers:
    I got kicked out, without warning, for "too much international traffic". I still have not received my November earnings (no payment status either), and don't expect to receive a dime. Every time I call and ask, I'm told that closed accounts are not subject to the 45-day payment review deadline, and they can't tell me when they will be able to tell me whether I'll get one cent for November.

grantmd, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  8. keikor

keikor Peon

Best Answers:
    Any recommendation for this? Tutorials?

keikor, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  9. Tranix

Tranix Peon

Best Answers:
    I have emailed YPN Support Team about this issue and they said there is no way that we can block ads from showing outside of the U.S. Whoever clicked on the ads, we do not know. So that is the problem for almost every publisher. I beg someone has written this script, if you do please share with us :D Willing to pay a few bucks for a script rather than knockin' out of the ring :D

Tranix, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  10. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why does one of my sites display ads for UK credit cards??? This whole think doesn't make much sense!

larysmith711, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  11. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use phpAdsNew with a geo-ip database and select exactly what region you display what.

May be a bit large for just a few pages, but it's a nice way to control your advertising when you have large/several sites.

blinxdk, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  12. keikor

keikor Peon

Best Answers:
    phpadsnew is too complicated for a newbie like me.

Is there any online tutorial on how to setup a phpadsnew with geo-ip database for ypn? Will be much appreciated.

keikor, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  13. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Totally agree

Just a look at the huge instructions mega manual it has makes you want to run away. The installation manual is also huge.

fryman, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  14. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Go to ip2location.com - buy the country database and follow the instructions on how to detect where they are from.

if($country != "US")
    {
    //don't show ad / show other ad
    }
    else
    {
    //YPN code here
    }

PHP:

T0PS3O, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  15. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe I should start a service that offers to display your YPN ads with geotargeting through my phpAdsNew :)

If I can insert my own ad 50% of the time, I'll even do it for free ;)

blinxdk, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  16. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    you can block ip blocks of entire countries if necessary. just don't serve them the page at all.

david_sakh, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  17. KernelXP

KernelXP Guest

Best Answers:
    The rule of just having US traffic seems a little silly to me.

KernelXP, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  18. BluePhoenix

BluePhoenix Banned

Best Answers:
    My information comes directly from YPN. I contacted them and specifically asked about why my account was terminated. I did read the terms and tried to comply to them with the best of my ability. And I actually liked the program but of course it has its bugs. The site I have directly revolves around U.S. traffic but without the ability to change or impliment a script. And you bet they monitor the conversion ratio's for the ads. The advertisers are their bread and butter.

I also wanted information about what I would get paid and when and was told that everything should be ok and on-time. We will see what happens with that.

I guess what we are all looking for is a great way to get paid without the fear of getting kicked out for something that seems to be unable to control.

BluePhoenix, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  19. nt99

nt99 Active Member

Best Answers:
    BluePhoenix, can you tell us what your site is? Or at least the type of the site it is? And how much money you lost?

Also, if anyone is interested in a simple script that checks the visitor's IP, then shows them X ad if they're in the U.S. or Y ad if they're not...I'll sell it for what I paid: $30 ....just send an email to nothingt (at) gmail dot com and let me know...then I'll give you my paypal address and send the script.

I have two versions...one installs in your database (extremely easy). The other looks at a text file (not suitable for high traffic sites).

nt99, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  20. Tranix

Tranix Peon

Best Answers:

I've successfully installed the phpadsnew but wonder where to download the geoip script? and how to install it ? can someone gives me an instruction for it please!

Appreciate a lot, ;)
    Tranix

Tranix, Jan 26, 2006 IP