1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help in being "successful"

Discussion in 'General Business' started by sebastianrs, Jan 24, 2006.

1. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    It's a numbers game. I don't think one person on this forum is making tons of their very first site. If somehting isn't working, cut your losses or sell it off. Don't waste time on it.

You never hear all the BS people produced before their big hit. That Rose guy from Digg, the guy who made millions selling Hotmail to MS, they probably add churned out idea after idea until one kicked off.

T0PS3O, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  2. sebastianrs

sebastianrs Active Member

Best Answers:
    you are certainly absolutely right. It's sometimes hard when you are about to give up because there's absolutely no one who tells you that you can make it. The actual goals you have must be reached using a plan, and sometimes I was not able to find a plan, that's all. Anyway DP has helped me in any way that's why this community is immortal and so valuable!

sebastianrs, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  3. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well... requesting to hire someone, yes. Promoting something, no. I wouldn't mind if you posted a request for a writer. But I'd mind if you did the standard "come check out my site" post.

That's not too different from Digital Point, is it? They have forums here for doing business, but they'll still give the smackdown to spam.

-Tony

aboyd, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  4. sebastianrs

Best Answers:
    I didnt understand it any other way :)

sebastianrs, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  5. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How many unique visitors do you normally stop buildings links for a site?

Pete

dsm56, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  6. cpucandy

cpucandy Peon

Best Answers:
    Mitz offers some very valuable advice. What seemed to work for me was to write down goals for my business. For example, obtain 50 links, generate 20 new pages of content, spend 10 hrs reading through forums like DP to educate myself, submit 3 articles to article sites, etc...

I used to waste a lot of my time checking if I made any money. Now, I put my focus on building my business. I tend to put 70% focus on a new site, 20% focus on existing sites (just enough to sustain growth) and 10% focus on new sites (because it takes time for new sites to gain any rankings).

Over time, when you start to make a little cash, you can then pay folks to do your link building, writing, etc...

Don't be fooled by anyone telling you that you can obtain instant success. It if sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

cpucandy, Jan 25, 2006 IP
    sebastianrs likes this.
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not about numbers of visitors - it's about cash in the bank.

SEbasic, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  8. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK fair enough...
    Let me ask then, at what daily income do you leave a site and start on the next one?

dsm56, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  9. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    That's not really a viable way to run a site IMO...

You stop when you feel you can better spend your time working on something else I guess.

Either way, if you do it right and beat everyone to the post in your market, the links should be self generating.

SEbasic, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  10. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK cool, well i guess im on the right track then.
    Thanks for the comments. :)

Pete

dsm56, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  11. Scott Botkins

Scott Botkins Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright you may think this is kiddish but I'm a kid at heart and this what i go by with my web design business lol.

To accomplish great things is like being a captian on a pirate ship trying to find the treasure, what do you need? A map aka directions to the treasure, which to us would be goals and plans to get where we want to be. Without a map you'll end up like Chistopher Columbus, you'll get lost and fall to the bottom.

Now whatever your treasure may be, make a map to get there. Mine is being happy and enjoying life, doing what I love to do and still make a living off of it.

I hope my example makes sense lol, good luck to your future.

Scott Botkins, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  12. sebastianrs

Best Answers:
    It makes lots of sense and emphasizes again the importance of setting goals and plans to reach those goals. Well I think the goal part is done already but the foolproof plan is not yet. Maybe I'm not patient enough but I just can't see why I still don't receive any valuable traffic for workasfreelancer.com. It has been started in November... anyway enjoying my life has a high priority either!

sebastianrs, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  13. sebastianrs

Best Answers:
    BTW I've just received my very first real negative reputation for this thread :) Someone in this forum once said that a real good thread is one that received bad reputation from pros and good reputation from the beginners :) well i dont know who this guy was, I mean he not even dared to post a comment or a name, but I think he was a REAL pro !!!

SEbasic likes this.
  14. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Setting up goals and following the strategy you have thought to achieve them should help .
    But always have an option open .In case the strategy doesn't do as well as you thought , then use the "Option".
    What I mean is keep the strategy flexible and have a backup plan .
    Regards
    Jeet

JEET, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  15. sebastianrs

Best Answers:
    I think I'm mostly struggling with creating foolproof plans and backup plans. That's not only time consuming but also doesnt lead to anything for real. Anyway today I've rearranged some stuff and hired some freelance writers. I think I got a plan to get one of my sites workasfreelancer.com to an acceptable traffic level (by attracting freelance writers, not IT freelancers). Hope I don't make anything so wrong that it brings nothing!

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions especially those ones that made clear how important goals are. By the way, today I've got the book "Think and Grow Rich" though I hadnt the time to even look into it yet.

PS: Thanks Oliver for your comment!

16. Joobz

Joobz Peon

Best Answers:
    I highly recommend this book, I read several years ago but I certainly can remember how it forced me to think out of the box and notice opportunities around me and how truly powerful our brains are provided we tap into that power.

Joobz, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  17. Scott Botkins

Scott Botkins Peon

Best Answers:
    I also recommend "Power of Focus", that's a great book written by 3 great individuals.

Scott Botkins, Jan 26, 2006 IP