1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Some clarification on iframe usage. Google says no.

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by Greg-J, Jan 26, 2006.

There are thousands of threads on the net declaring that it is technically o.k. for you to put AdSense on a page with targeted keyword and display that page via iframe. I couldn't find anywhere that said this was not allowed, but I also don't want to be crying when my AdSense account is closed. So I went straight to Google. Here's my email:

I got a response no more than 12 hours later with:

Needless to say, I've taken my AdSense off that page. Looks like I'll breaking in my YPN account more.

I wanted to share though. In case you all have questions. Hopefully Nintendo can add this to the AdSense FAQ.

Greg-J, Jan 26, 2006 IP
    amitpatel_3001 likes this.
  2. TheBrokenOne

TheBrokenOne Peon

Best Answers:
    Urgh what a joke, my site is entirely image based and suffers from ugly adsense white space syndrome coupled with PSAs for every new page added to the site. Subsequently i earn virtually nothing despite 3-4k page views a day, i thought iframes might be the solution but blah, no good says google.

Really need YPN to go international, don't think this adsense business is up to much at all.

TheBrokenOne, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  3. Greg-J

Greg-J I humbly return to you.

Best Answers:
    My image hosting site is exactly what I was I was inquiring about.

Greg-J, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  4. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    @TheBrokenOne, have you tried some alternative, non-contextual CPM ads as you get a lot of visitors? You might earn a lot with Casale although I don't know if they allow image host sites/image-based sites or not. Worth checking though, perhaps.

ryan_uk, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  5. pyc

pyc Peon

Best Answers:
    I just lost my $350 because I placed google adsense code into iframe .... I have one banner exchange which works with iframes.

ANYONE knows some service similar to adsense which will allow placement of ads within iframes?

thanks...
    marko

pyc, May 12, 2006 IP
  6. phree_radical

phree_radical Peon

Best Answers:
    If iframes aren't allowed, then why is there a checkbox for it on the code generation page...?

phree_radical, May 12, 2006 IP
  7. pyc

pyc Peon

Best Answers:
    i can no longer see the user panel of adsense, but as far as i understand, the frames are allowed, but iframes are not...

pyc, May 12, 2006 IP
  8. phree_radical

phree_radical Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, it means just regular frames... pffft :)

Man, I had a page a while back that had 3 iframes each with only a fun fact and an adsense unit... I wonder if I'm going to be deleted if I ever reach my payout. :/

phree_radical, May 12, 2006 IP
  9. mariush

mariush Peon

Best Answers:
    You are not allowed to put Adsense code in a iframe.

You have to check the "Ads are placed on a framed page" if the Adsense code will be in a page that belongs to a frame set.

mariush, May 12, 2006 IP
  10. livingearth

livingearth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the point to the whole issue is the use of the Iframe to conceal content and thus decieve "G" and thereby altering the targeting of the ads displayed. Though the letter from "G" may seem to be very definative I believe it should be taken in context of the inquiry it is a response to. Honest use of an Iframe still may not be a problem....

livingearth, May 12, 2006 IP
  11. EWD

EWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ok no iframes.... but what about CSS frames ( the overflow ones )... are they allowed ;)

Coz the ads are in the source code of the same page...

EWD, May 12, 2006 IP
  12. Greg-J

Best Answers:
    There's no such thing as a "CSS frame". You can set overflow to scroll, yes - but then you're obstructing the ads. Which in itself is a TOS violation.

It's quite clear how you can display ads. They must be displayed on a page that has content and you can't obstruct them by hiding part of the element they're in - regardless of whether or not you can scroll to see it.

Greg-J, May 12, 2006 IP
  13. EWD

EWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    but what if I am not obstructing the ads..but just some of the content is obstructed ??

EWD, May 12, 2006 IP
  14. Greg-J

Best Answers:
    Ask Google. I promise if you email them, they will answer within a day or two.

I can give you my opinion though. And that is: no. You can't obscure, obstruct or otherwise hide content specifically intended to skew the display of ads.

Listen guys, AdSense isn't perfect. If the content your displaying doesn't generate the ads you want, deal with it. Trying to manipulate the results - even with the best of intentions - always ends in a "why was I banned" thread.

I have an image hosting site that - as you can guess - AdSense is shite on because it only generates ads about image hosting. Using Ad targeting on YPN produces great results, but as an advertising it pisses me off to know that people can target high-paying ads - legal services for instance - to their myspace or arcade sites, of which the ROI is almost always 0%. I honestly hope that Yahoo does away with targeting completely once their system becomes more accurate.

Greg-J, May 12, 2006 IP
  15. livingearth

livingearth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    GregJ is right on target. The issue is not actually the iframe it is the fact that it is being used as a device to obstruct the view of hidden content, which in turn alters the context of the ads displayed. It would not matter whether you used div layers or css or regular frames the point is that it is a device to decieve the system Google has put in place. Even if you found a way to do change the ads that wasn't mentioned in the TOS. It probably soon would be...

livingearth, May 15, 2006 IP
  16. siraxi

siraxi Peon

Best Answers:
    Read this: https://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/answer.py?answer=10035
    This text doesn't specifically forbid placing Adsense code in an IFRAME.

So, which one is it?

siraxi, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  17. jim.sheng

jim.sheng Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been using Iframe ever since I started Adsense, because there is no other way to put adsense code on an Microsoft Officelive website.

jim.sheng, Dec 9, 2008 IP