1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Future For Directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Business Services, Dec 31, 2007.

1. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah what im hinting at though is you need to clean up after yourself, make sure your past is very clean before you come here with your wise words.

Its touching that you endless supply of guys appear to want to look out for everyone and place us on the right path but anytime someone challeges back it results in the same situation. :p

So very frusrated you are over something, tell me whats up, i keep seeing this pattern in people like yourself, something is making you want to desperately hold onto past ways but you put it across like its everyone else who isn't learning. This constant talk about people learning and others not quite getting it, lol

Let it all out, tell whats really wrong with your own situation only, stop looking to other people.

I personally believe people like you are scared of the future, you will spend your time talking about things like this to stall your own actions and make an excuse of why you couldn't move forward.

You haven't moved forward if you want to hang around months later and talk about it.

Business Services are you a unique thinker?

pipes, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  2. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    Pipes you posts are very amusing, simply because they make no sense at all....lol

People do as they see fit, listen to who they want to and run their online ventures in their own way.

There can be many lessons leaned from the past, you are right many things have been debated. However I wonder how well if most people still think paid links is the future.

In regards to selling links...lol, you have still been unable to provide one ounce of proof. I freely admit I have sold links on my site in the past, however it is a strategy I stopped long ago. I guess by the fact you cannot backup your comment about me selling pr4/5 links, means it was just plucked out of the air.

Should people who discredit others with lies be viewed as righteous trustworthy people?

Business Services, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  3. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Strangly you types always reply in the same way. :)

No i didn't pluck it out of the air dude, its in one of your past posts here at DP, lol

pipes, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  4. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    I did say I had a paid section in my directory...lol

You types, another strange comment, how would you really know what type of person I am. I have just posted my own feelings on the future for directories. Other mature posters, simply stated they viewed things differently, you however embarked on a crusade of trying to discredit me, rather than posting your own feelings backed up with some substance. It will be interesting to see if you have any.

5. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Agree. Directory industry will last as long as the internet for sure.

xc06, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No no, you need to go back through all your posts, have a look for yourself, you may have forgotten what you posted in the past. ;)

My reference to "your types" is a pattern i see, same story that gets put across the same way, always the same message, same wording, same reaction.

This is new, ive been singled out as a crusader, 2008 is looking up for me :p i can see you want to get all deep :)

I usually go researching anyone like you, doesn't take me long to see some contradictions, its too easy most of the time, i usually start by looking at your other threads, lol

Please excuse me, i need to go eat and wash my hair, il most likely not go further with you, because you will deny anything i point out and yet again il waste too much of a new year debating.:)

pipes, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  7. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    Pipes I was hoping for some substance to your post, if you are not aware we are discussing the future of directories, you have made lots of posts all directed at me personally and nothing about the subject matter.

If it is possible keep away from the personal insults and jibes, they paint you in a poor light.

8. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just trying to point out "who you really are" :)

pipes, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  9. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    I could point you in the direction of many of my clients and business associates, that I have worked with and helped out over the past few years, however I am sure this would not satisfy you....lol

Like I said we are discussing the merits of directories, surely you have something of substance to add?

If you would like to discuss the problems with your personal websites, drop me a pm, I am more than willing to help.

10. Captain Tycoon

Captain Tycoon Active Member

Best Answers:
    From my point of view, Google already hate directories. Its just a matter of time and ideas of when they decide to stop directories from giving back-links to increase PR for websites since Its too easy and not Original. Directories will need a new approach, something to give them more 'content' rather than just links.

Captain Tycoon, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  11. Daemon23

Daemon23 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google just wants more people spending more money on Adwords.

Daemon23, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  12. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    Captain you mirror my thoughts exactly, nice to see people who have an opinion on the subject

13. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    Remember Google is one of the major players in the world wide web, but that doesn't give them to banish every directory from the ground, they would do a very stupid mistake to do so.

There are lots of other search engines out there, and I don't mind switching to any of the rest, however as you mentioned above directories will need a new approach, this is great in my opinion as we'll see which directories are worth being listed on and which aren't.

I am looking forward 2008, and hopefully we'll see some changes, but I can assure you, there will always be web directories around (probably with a new concept, but they will remain web directories).

Meti

WatchOut, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  14. zorah

zorah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You hit it right on the spot my friend. That's why my main focus on my dir is getting shopping traffic and not webmaster traffic

zorah, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  15. dave99

dave99 Guest

Best Answers:
    How does Google even know whether you paid for a link in a directory or not? Some directories offer free links along with paid. Should I stay clear of listing my site on any directory that takes money?

dave99, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  16. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    They don't. Think from another perspective, think as if you were a net user using that web directory you wish to submit your site to; does that directory offer you everything you need, do you find it helpful and a good resource for you? Does it satisfy you with the listings represented on the web directory?

If it does, submit. If it doesn't, avoid submitting.

Meti

WatchOut, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  17. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are submitting to a directory to increase the number of backlinks your site has, then avoid directories that offer a paid service.

Generally speaking they will not be indexed by Google.

There are many things to consider when link building, it amazes me people simply focus on PR. Google gauges the strength of a backlink based on;

The age of the site
    The number of links on the page
    Is the link contextual
    How often is content added to the page
    How many visitors click on the page
    The page ranking
    The optimisation of the page
    The ranking in the organic listings
    The relevancy of the page
    Is the page on a different server - multiple links on the same server are viewed as spam, for the obvious reasons

As you can see there are many factors when placing a link anywhere, this is why some pages that appear strong in terms of page ranking do not get indexed, whilst others that have no page ranking do.

Business Services, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  18. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    @Business services

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt , till I read the statement below

Wow, I am finding it hard to believe that you wrote this

I'l address only the most obvious thing: Paid directories are more likely to be fully indexed than free directories, I know. I have sites submitted to literally 1,000s of free directories, and i tell you, the proportion of them that are actually indexed is pitiful

Conversely, most of my submissions to paid directories are fulling indexed and cached, plus they bring in occassional traffic.

Even the directories that appear to have SE issues are well indexed and cached,

Its really simple economics,
    free:-massive submissions, no time or money to promote
    paid:-low submissions, time and money for a lot off promotion activity

agggh !!

centime, Jan 2, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  19. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    For those who think offering links for free will make them safe, you are way off the mark. Several free directories have been penalised too.

Allowing people to pay for PR, or apply for free PR is virtually the same in googles eyes.

mikey1090, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  20. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good point Mike.

pipes, Jan 2, 2008 IP