1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Go general or go niche?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Ernster, Jan 23, 2006.

Hi after having some troubles getting my directory finished (mainly due to hosting issues) I have been rethinking the future of my directory. At the moment the directory is called URL Direct and I will be keeping this name.

Ever since May 05 I have chosen to make a general Australian directory.
    However now I am thinking this isnt the best thing to do. Since I want to become a web designer sometime this year once I finish my studies, I am thinking about making a more niche Australian directory, one that focuses on Web services such as hosting, design, ebooks, scipts, software, etc.

I also want the directory to offer services to web sites such as site promotion.

I know this question seems a bit basic however simply put, do you belive I am better off trying a aussie web services directory or should I keep the idea of an aussie general directory. Mind you I will be runing the directory alone and would like to have free submission option so maybe a general directroy would be too much for me to run alone...though what Im more concerned is in making money obviously. Thanks for your input.

Ernster, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  2. Caydel

Caydel Peon

Best Answers:
    There are too many general directories out there already. Go niche

Brian

Caydel, Jan 23, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  3. angelfire

angelfire Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with caydel. But IMO it would be much difficulties of having a listing in a niche.

angelfire, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  4. rmccarley

rmccarley Peon

Best Answers:
    Start niche and work your way out. The advantage of niche is you can target companies with email and other tactics to get them to sign up. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. Start off free. Once you've built your PR up start charging and expanding.

rmccarley, Jan 23, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  5. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, Niche is better. You should planned at your domain name choose for each category you want to do. Too many general directories and most of them are the same. Niche directory even better for link exchange in relevant sites and get site rank boosted. for an example, I've 2 of many domains that I registered and make the niched, one for asia travel and one for europe travel. What do you think if these 2 sites get PR5 and I make crossed links between them? ;)

Sxperm, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  6. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    yes go niche, and if your directory grows, you now have the option to add more general categories...

bentong, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  7. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Niche, definitely. Be prepared to ad first few entries on your own.
    Though Aussie general one shouldn't take you that much time if you will limit submissions to .au domains (the only way to quickly prevent all the other submitters who will waste your time by not caring at all that you are strictly Australian resource and submitting all their non-relevant websites).

subseo, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  8. Ernster

Ernster Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys for your opinions I have decided to go niche:) Althought I welcome more posts about the benefits of runing niche directories so if anyone has any more info to share....be my guest:)

Ernster, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  9. Nokia999

Nokia999 Guest

Best Answers:
    It is not easy decision because you will face difficulty in getting traffic,listings and boost.

Nokia999, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  10. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    Research your niche - like what is the competition, how easy/difficult will be to get good rankings for your niche directory :)

onedollar, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  11. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I got a few ideas on some niche directories.
    Now which directory script to use?
    Any ideas?

I want the ability of capture emails of posters.
    Plus the ability to offer links free, paid and with reciprocity.

Thank you for your input.

iowadawg, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  12. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Site Sift. PHP Link Directory. Esyndicat. and probably few others....

subseo, Jan 30, 2006 IP