1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My First vBulletin Skin, After a Review

Discussion in 'Websites' started by dct, Jan 23, 2006.

I spent the weekend integrating vBulletin into one of my sites. It's the first time I've done a skin for vB and I'm happy with the results but I'd like some unbiased opinions too. The forums are at http://forums.game-addicts.com/ please let me know good or bad what you think, thanks.

If you're into games please feel free to sign up, there's plenty of seats in the house :)

dct, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  2. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have to admit, first time I looked, I thought it was a PHPBB forum - the layout and colour scheme instantly reminded me of some PHPBBs I've seen recently in my quest for new skins for one. That said, the colour scheme is strong and electric feeling - which fits perfectly with the content of the site.

I like the comment top left as well - that's puts the editorial straight into focus. I hate turning up at forums and not knowing what they're about. :)

Dio, Jan 23, 2006 IP
    dct likes this.
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Hats off mate, really like it. very first impression was 'busy' but that'sprobably just because I didn't know my way around yet. For repeat users that won't be an issue of course.

Colours work well too, I like it.

I'm no big fan of those massive sigs, I wouldn't allow them myself.

But as far as the skinning goes, I say job well done.

T0PS3O, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  4. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys.

I'm not a fan of big sigs either but I think the audience it's aimed at probably are. vB actually turned out to be a lot easier to skin than I was expecting, I can't take any credit for the top logo as I got a proper designer to do that, I just do coloring by numbers :)

dct, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  5. Corso

Corso Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not that keen on sites with dark backgrounds and lighter text. But this is not the worse I've seen of this design. It's not a bad looking color scheme but it's not one I prefer.

Also, it took me probably 20 clicks before I stumbled back to the forum once I left it. I went from the forum to one of the Catagories and couldn't get back to the fourm. Even clicking on one of the "Latest Posts." doesn't take me to the forum. :( How the heck I got there I don't know and I can't even duplicate my mistake. You need a fixed menu somewhere to improve navigation.

You're sites definately got potential but "Busy," is definately the word here. You've got LOTS of Google ads everywhere, everything's broken up into squares/boxes and it's hard to navigate without a clear menu somewhere.

Corso, Jan 23, 2006 IP
    dct likes this.
  6. dct

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback Corso, I've added a few more links back to the forum on the other pages. I see what you mean about the latest posts being a bit confusing I'll have a think on how I can change that.

I didn't think the Google Ads were excessive, at most there are 2 blocks on a page whilst the forum doesn't have any.

dct, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  7. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Its really nice appart from one thing. I dont know wheather this is my new monitor or your website but my eyes go all dodgy after reading your forum for a few minutes or so.

mightyb, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  8. Corso

Corso Peon

Best Answers:
    You're welcome. Good luck!

Corso, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  9. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, just wow.

Very nice. If you ever release that let me know :)

Do you have the postbit_legacy template done as well?

GeorgeB., Jan 24, 2006 IP
  10. dct

Best Answers:
    I didn't need to touch the postbit at all, so the legacy template should just work. I didn't choose the legacy route due to the fixed horizontal and that was chosen to match the original fixed width blog.

dct, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  11. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    WOW, looks cool :cool:
    I think the design and layout is very suitable for a gaming site.

I think you can use the free space in the left column below the latest news for some ads or links.

Also consider integrating vbseo into the forum.

good luck ;)

DomainMagnate, Jan 24, 2006 IP