1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Let's Red rep. DMOZ editors.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, Jan 22, 2006.

1. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Editors are not required to list any site - be it a personal dislike or a moral dislike or a just don't want to. However, they are required to leave listable sites that they don't list in the unreviewed stack for someone else to come along and list. They also cannot delist a sites because of a personal dislike or a moral dislike or a just don't want to.

Editors cannot be forced to work, nor can they be forced to work on a particular thing. Unfortunately, many editors don't like working in Real Estate - which is probably why many Real Estate sites haven't been listed.

BTW - someone gave me a gray rep - was that supposed to be green or red? Can't tell from the message because there wasn't one :p.

lmocr, Jan 23, 2006 IP
    hulkster likes this.
  2. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I understand you all completely guys, but I happen to know few very good editors also (minstrel?), very devoted to their editing work and trying to provide good content for people like us to find quickly what we need in dmoz.

For me dmoz still represents the best of the internet, the one big source for all free information, than you need it, like wikipedia.
    Lets give them all credit for that and for what a great place internet could have been unless we'd spoiled it with all our adsense sites ;)

DomainMagnate, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  3. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    :D :D :D :D

riz, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  4. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Yeah riz, that's golden....or should I say, "GOLDMAN"!! :D

Crazy_Rob, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Mistrel isn't an editor as far as I'm aware...

Shawn is though...

SEbasic, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  6. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Maybe in the category you use the most but from what I have seen in several real estate categories it is not the best of the best. Being that the real estate category is a money category, I would assume there may be just as much corruption and favoritism in it as most other money categories.

Las Vegas Homes, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  7. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Name and shame!

Notting, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  8. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    LOL !!! You guys (flings hand in the air)... this thread really made me laugh !

Feel free to 'virtually' stone me, stab me and red rep as you like...
    If it makes you feel better to take your frustrations out on someone I'll quite happily be the 'fallgirl'... :confused:

Whether it will make a great deal of difference in the big scheme of things I'm not quite so sure ??? But hey, I'm game ! :)

I don't get the repping system here, and I think it causes far more upset and discourse than anything between even otherwise amicable webmasters, never mind Dmoz editors. I've never used it to red rep and probably never will, to me it's simply just not a very adult thing to do especially when allowed anonymously. But it ain't my forum.

So please, carry on with the red reps, if you really think it will perhaps get your site listed quicker, and the act of 'red-repping' makes you feel REALLY good. Whatever floats your boat guys. :confused:

Personally I think this thread is probably one of the worst examples of serious discussion and debate I've ever had the misfortune to participate in. But am quite happy to take the reds from Gworld amd Minstrel (et al) yet again for saying so.

People like you need to take a long hard look at yourselves, and threads like this are REALLY scraping the bottom of the barrel and so darn negative to see on a respected forum such as this. Have you really nothing better to do and put your energies into ? It's sad if you don't, perhaps you need to take a bit of a break from things if this is how obsessive things have gotten about Dmoz ? ( Stoning and Stabbing editors simply for being one ?
    Puuuuleeease....I though that sort of bigoted narrow-minded prejudice died out with the 'Equal Rights' act.

NB : I will update on my red rep quota as I recieve them which should be quite interesting as I'm sure you will all be giggling like little girls giving them too ;)

Shadow575 I got that one too "DMOZ editors are idiots " a bit of originality in the red-reps dept might perhaps be too much to ask ???

shygirl, Jan 23, 2006 IP
    Crazy_Rob and hulkster like this.
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think the first statements shows how informed you are and how much value we should put on your second statement. ;) :rolleyes:

gworld, Jan 23, 2006 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  10. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    You guys need some sense of humor. Get a life ;)

11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have a better idea. Let's red rep everyone who ISN'T a DMOZ editor. You know, the ones that complain about DMOZ, but also don't want to do any of the work involved. :)

digitalpoint, Jan 23, 2006 IP
    hulkster, maldives and pagode like this.
  12. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    How can one do any of the work involved if it is like a secret mafia where they don't allow anyone in?

fryman, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I got in, and I don't know anyone... {shrug}

http://dmoz.org/profiles/digitalpoint.html

14. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    lol, but everyone knows you...

I have read loads of posts of people applying to be an editor and getting denied.

I also applied once, never even got a courtesy email from them saying that I wasn't accepted, took me loads of posts at several forums to finally get an answer. They keep whining about how huge their workload is and don;t accept people to help, isn't that just ridiculous?

fryman, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  15. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    me too, I also applied. Wanted to edit a small category in chess ( I just enjoy chess ;) )
    And that time I really just wanted to help :)

I received an email two months later, when I reapplied, that they declined my application

maldives likes this.
  16. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I applied a few months ago. Next day I got an email (I wasn't sure if it was automatic or personal) that said they'd love to have me as an editor, but I needed to pick a narrower topic to edit. I hadn't done it again. Last time it took so long to find a few decent sites, that I didn't have time to research a more narrow topic.

Now that my busy season is over, I might have to revisit it.

lorien1973, Jan 23, 2006 IP
    maldives likes this.
  17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've been an editor since before this forum was even founded...

It's not terribly hard to get to be an editor... You just have to be very careful how you word your sample sites, because they are looking for specific things.

Either way, you need to start with a tiny category.

18. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    why do you want to be in? I can think of better ways of giving back to the online community than being a DMOZ editor. Instrumentality seems to be the biggest reason for becoming an editor, how many % of editors also own listed websites i wonder. As a webmaster yourself fryman (and this goes by human nature), it would not make sense not to give your own websites a certain priority. By joining you would be going against everything you have said about DMOZ on this forum. (though i may not have read *all* your posts, and you have only said what seems to be a common theme in this thread)

Disclaimer/Legal stuff: Nothing in my post can be quoted or used against me in any way/for any reason (by anyone).

Notting, Jan 23, 2006 IP
    maldives likes this.
  19. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well, an interesting thread. I only submitted 2 websites and both were inclded within a week. My recent blog was also included within 2-3 days :D. Job well done editors.

maldives, Jan 23, 2006 IP
    Notting and Alucard like this.
  20. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    take one wound...apply salt - maldives lol

Notting, Jan 23, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.