1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Petition To Have Post Count Removed From Intro Forum

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Skinny, Jan 17, 2006.

?

Be It Resolved That Post Counts Won't Increase When A Member Posts In the Intro Forum

1. For (Yes)

35 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. Against (No)

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    I rarely post in the Introductions. Hell, I don't think I introduced myself when I joined ... I just assumed that the rap sheet and psych profile was on record. However, I do see a useful function of the Intro in that new members can say hi and other members can put out the welcome mat. However, I am objective enough to realize that this is likely a hugely abused area; but, as I stated I go in there rarely, others have a better grasp.

One thing would be to allow people to do an Introduction and then have an "auto-lock" on the threads. New members can do a write up about themselves, how they found DP, whatever, but then it would be locked.

Another option might be to have a thread "auto-generate" based on the information from their profile upon completion, but again should be locked IMO.

Also, is there a way to up the minimum character post from 10 to 50? If you can't post more than two or three words ... ah, never mind, they'd probably just add .... or spaces or dashes.

This isn't the first time this has been brought up I don't think Skinny, but glad to see it being tossed out again and getting some attention.

wrmineo, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  2. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    There's a need for introduction any way.

Newbies come to the forum all the time and they love to see some attention, it's always good if someone welcomes you :)

and again, what do you think about this 2 measures:

:)

DomainMagnate, Jan 19, 2006 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Automate it with a welcome PM.

minstrel, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  4. BILZ

BILZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Where's Shawn? He gonna tell us what his idea is or what?

BILZ, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    If you feel you need some attention and have a bunch of strangers welcome you at a forum you really need to go see a shrink

fryman, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Read, people, read.

It has already been said that he's on the road. It's also already been said that he needs to work on coding his idea.

7. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, and when he's done, he'll post a message for all to awe at :)

He never ceases to amaze ... what would seem impossible to most is but a mere exercise in spatial thinking to him that he becomes determined to put into a linear fix.

wrmineo, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  8. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Do you manage any forum?
    I don't mean moderate, but own.

If you don't welcome people when they register they can be very upset and leave the forum without posting or even become wackos, ask nintendo if you don't believe me :D :D :D

DomainMagnate, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  9. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha Nintendo. . .what a guy.

Anyway . . .yes I think they should be introduced. The PM was a good idea. (that requires some coding . . . don't think it's Shawn's though).

I think I posted in the intro forums like two times in all my posts.

It's true that people will try everything to artificially spike their post count.

It's kinda sad because it defeats the whole point of a forum in the first place.

Judging by the results so far . . . we can't all be wrong.

Skinny

Skinny, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  10. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    :( My heart was crushed, not geting a reply way back in October 2004. I was so crushed that I left and planed to never came back... until April 2005, when minstrel and fryman spent a month driving me insane trying to get me here so there could be just one wacko here to entertain them!! :D:D:D

Nintendo, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  11. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    So THAT's the whole scheme. And fryman and minstrel were in this together *gasp*?

Skinny

Skinny, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  12. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    What the heck was I thinking...
    :D

fryman, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  13. ihatebeans

ihatebeans Peon

Best Answers:
    I said no because What I honestly like to do is post in the welcome thread WELCOME TO (SITE NAME) because I feel everyone is welcome and if that is damn i may have a craploada unfair posts then id be banned probly

ihatebeans, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Yes. I own one and co-own another and moderate on 3 or 4 others beyond those.

Nonsense. First, I'm not against the notion of welcoming people - like the OP I'm (1) against having the same "welcome to DP" message posted for three pages and (2) having these inane threads pop up in the "New Posts" listings. Second, many new forum members never post in the Intro threads and don't need the ego strokes of three pages of "welcome to DP" to remain as members and post.

15. javadrinkernotwriter

javadrinkernotwriter Peon

Best Answers:
    As a brand new member with all of 3 posts, if this counts as my third, I think negative post counts for newbies is a really mean way of introducing them. If you want to start knocking off points to people who are hanging out in the introductions you might as well get rid of introductions as a thread option. No one will want to go there at all, and the newbies will get penalized for even trying to voice a "hello." If this is such an irratant for people with post counts upwards of a thousand, why not just make introduction threads worth 0 points so that people who are new can go to introductions and figure out what kind of people are on this forum and those people who are sincere in welcoming the newbies will do so because the genuinly want to not because it's an easy way to make a $ with adsense.

P.S. what does it take to get rid of the peon tag under my user name?

javadrinkernotwriter, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I don't think anyone was suggesting punishing people who start introduction threads to say "hi - this is who I am". The people who would be "penalized" are those 60 people who all say "welcome to DP" when one or two would be plenty.

That is exactly what is being suggested. Well, except for the AdSense part.

More posts. You should go to the Introductions thread and dig up threads dating back to 2004 and say, "Hi! Welcome to DP!".

17. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    wow - this thread seems to be hitting a nerve with a bunch of new people.

I have barely posted anything in intro threads, but that is my personality. I don't go and give hellos, just because. I feel it is sort of fake and not sincere. (that is just personally, for me to do it, not saying anyone else is not sincere.) So when I give a welcome I mean it

debunked, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  18. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Minstrel ... aka Instigator :D

Too funny doc ... need some more gasoline? The fire's getting dim.

wrmineo, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  19. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How many of you guys run successful forums? You want to encourage discussion not hamper it. It's easy to get annoyed at spammers but still...you can't discourage people from posting.

RectangleMan, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  20. Roze

Roze Guest

Best Answers:
    Yah, a huge boost to my forum occurred recently with the addition of an intro forum! People are having fun "meeting" each other. In my opnion, it's ok to encourage people to chat in GC or intro type forums, as long as there aren't THAT many priveledges that solely come from post count.

Roze, Jan 22, 2006 IP