1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Shoutwire - like Digg but not exclusively tech.

Discussion in 'Services' started by mdvaldosta, Nov 15, 2005.

1. dave487

dave487 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Whilst I can understand what shoutwire are saying here I think they have been quite heavy handed in their approach.

Most threads on this forum are along the lines of "Have you heard of shoutwire? I just heard of it and submitted my first story, here is the link, please shout it".

It seems that a few shoutwire newbies (like me) were trying a bit of promotion and got caught out. I think a nice post to say that what we were doing was not helping and please could we stop would have been well received.

Me posting a link to my story here at dp is the same as a blog having a "Digg this" link at the bottom of each post IMHO.

dave487, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  2. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Shoutwire admin or manager a suggestion:

I don't know if you promoted the site in this forum.

But how about allowing only 1 post a day, give a reputation to user. The greater the shouts the user gets some points.

When user gets X amount of points increment max no of posts to do

repeat

infonote, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  3. xxoozero

xxoozero Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    This thread just shows that some of you have no respect for the hard work of others, and are just out for yourselves. You dont want to be a member of our community but just want to use us for hits. People like this are not welcome at shoutwire and we dont want your traffic. Simply, go elsewhere.

The rest of you are more than welcome to contribute, if you want to play by the rules and think your contribution is a decent one for the readers of the site.

You can flame me all day long for all I care, Ive said my piece.

xxoozero, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  4. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    xxoozero:

assuming u are managing site.

1) If you submitted your site here what do you expect, come on you are on a webmaster forum. The aim of webmasters aim is to learn how to get more traffic and improve website.

2) I suggested allowing regsitered user to post 1 article per day.

3) People who click on your site to view page click on it because they are interested.

4) i did not post any site promoting my posts to your website.

5) your site is a service just like a directory or search engine. It is not really a community site IMHO

Just my opinion, u are the owner of the site, you have the final say.

Good luck

infonote, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  5. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Interestingly, I've been comparing interview notes between the founders of ShoutWire and Digg.

Because Digg doesn't discourage promoting the fact the you have an article on their site, they're enjoying over 500,000 unique visitors per day. I can't see where that's hurting their site or their ad revenue.

Digg founder Kevin Rose:

Doesn't sound like they're bothered by the traffic they're giving others.

Justin Bunnell of ShoutWire seems to indicate that it's his intention to be an outlet for other sites, much like Digg:

No offense, but it would seem like some clarification needs to be given, from the site owners, and not renegade volunteers who are merely being hypocritical ... promoting their own sites. The bottom line up front here may be that a volunteer editor is not getting all of the attention for his articles that he'd like?

wrmineo, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  6. dave487

dave487 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    The beauty of a site like digg is that if a rubbish story is submitted it never gets dugg and never reaches the front page.

I think that if shoutwire don't like the fact that it is quite easy to manipulate their rankings then they should alter the way the system works rather than berating people who use it to their advantage.

You don't hear Sergey Brin or Larry Page shouting and pleading with seo experts, spammers and black hats to stop manipulating google do you? No. They just employ engineers who are smart enough to stop google being manipulated by altering the algorithm.

dave487, Jan 22, 2006 IP
    Sharpseo likes this.
  7. Canadianbacon

Canadianbacon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    As Seller:
    100% - 2
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    oh geez :rolleyes:

Canadianbacon, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  8. Guru

Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Guru, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  9. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    wtf? that's not even news..

Dekker, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  10. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Done, I don't have any stories on shout, but feel free to digg ;)
    I have a question for the shoutwire guys:
    If you submit a site on digg, you won't make it to the home page unless a large number of members diggs you - your front page stories have less than 20 shouts. Why is that?

Blogmaster, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  11. xxoozero

xxoozero Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    On my worst day, I'm twice the writer you will ever be.

Alot of you understand exactly where I'm coming from and I respect that. This isn't a problem with DP users, it's all about a few guys who think they can cheat the system. The same few guys are also cheating fellow DP users by trying to manipulate the system. I am just trying to make it fair for everyone and that includes each and every one of you who worked hard on a story to make the front page on its merits alone and deserve the traffic.

12. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    i have discecksiaaa i don't know how to write!! :(

anyways, i think it's safe to say that most of the "internet" news is recycled from source to source..so i dont' think it's completely fair to delete a post because it's poorly written

on the other hand, just taking a look at the front page, there are some articles that really aren't even news, or unique.

Dekker, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  13. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You have a business to run, and so do we. You want people to click your ads , we want our exposure. You want to make sure you get quality stories that you make money off, sure. But not everyone is a kid online killing boredom.

14. xxoozero

xxoozero Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I do not make any money off Shoutwire. My only concern is quality.

15. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I believe that your concern is quality. But coming in here and insulting people is not the way to go. And about the money part, well ...

We will see ;):)

16. xxoozero

xxoozero Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I don't own Shoutwire. I represent the legions of staff who are entrusted with upkeep of the site and more than a few users who want to see good content posted. By the way, AOL doesnt own Shoutwire either.

Also, I'm not hating on everyone here. One of the posters on this thread is a part of my staff. This is about the few long winded posters here who refuse to follow the rules or even acknowlage the fact that breaking them was not bieng fair to others. I even encourage the few who have posted decent articles to post more, we will have a look, and if its well written and entertaining it will stay up. Just don't post your link here and ask people to shout it. If you get it voted by the people than you know you did a good job and you deserve the traffic because you worked for it. Let your work speak for itself. We are all essentially writers, if you aren't you are in the wrong bussiness. If you cheat to get places, it will never help you, if you are not good enough to reach the front page then the right thing to do is work at it until you are. And if you are good enough, don't cheat your fellow writers out of thier fair chance. It is an unspoken respect we should all have for each other.

Think about who I am. We have more in common than you may think. Those who enjoy the fine art of writing are a special breed. We all have the same goals, everytime we sit down to write we are hoping to create the one piece that makes us famous. We are the same type of people. Unlike the majority of the population, words are our friends.

Im not an outsider coming in to flame you. I am a fellow writer standing up and saying what you are doing is wrong. It's unfair to the others. I'm in a position to stop what you are doing and I'm telling you I am going to do everything I can to accomplish that goal.

Don't look at me as some angry admin at Shoutwire, look at me as another writer giving his critique of your actions. They are simply unethical.

xxoozero, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  17. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I was getting ready to diss you, and now this. K, I will think about it and let it sink in :)

Blogmaster, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  18. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Dekker, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  19. Blogmaster

Best Answers: