1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Categorization - What's the big deal?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by CReed, Dec 26, 2007.

I'm left wondering if many directory owners understand the basic concept of categorization. I have serious doubts seeing that most directory owners can't seems to find the Solicitations/Announcements sub-forum when posting their offers or announcements. It reflects poorly on all of us, and yes, I take offense.

Do most of you rely on the submitters' category selection when reviewing a site? Do you accept suggestions to the submitted category or do you move submissions as needed? Are you building your directory for webmasters and search engines or for the possibility that someone may actually use your resource?

Are you afraid to move a submission because so and so "paid" to be listed on a PR(X) page and they'll get upset if you move their submission to the proper or new category (which currently doesn't have any PR)?

So tell me, are you a link pimp or a directory owner? :)

CReed, Dec 26, 2007 IP
    sizzler_chetan likes this.
  2. sizzler_chetan

sizzler_chetan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I move the listings to the proper category. If i feel that there is a need of a new category for the submitted listing, i do it. Moreover, i have not received any complaints from the submitters when their listing is moved from a PR category to a non-PR category.

Link pimp just thinks about the $$ and does not care about the editorial guidelines.

If someone is searching for a jewelry website, he goes to jewelry category and not the shopping one. A few submitters think about the PR juice and if shopping has better PR than jewelry, they submit it to clothing. Link pimps don't care about that, but directory owners who follow strict guidelines do move it from shopping to jewelry for the benefit of a normal visitor who is in search for a perfect related resource!
    A directory is built to be made useful for everyone, and not only the webmasters..

Hope am correct and upto my point :)

sizzler_chetan, Dec 26, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  3. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I report all posts that are in the wrong forum to help keep this place clean. Although i get the impression the mods are sick of me, as its not as important as the abuse/dup accounts/scammers they have to deal with.

I build my directory to satisfy those browsing it, not those submitting to it. My submissions guidelines and notes clearly state that we reserve the right to edit your listing - change title/category etc. People seem to think that by submitting for the most expensive option, they have the right to submit whatever and wherever they want.

A clear T&C will help with any paypal transactions. Don't let webmasters wanting higher PR/more exposure spoil your directories quality.

mikey1090, Dec 27, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  4. Marty_

Marty_ Banned

Best Answers:
    Well as I'm pretty much new here on DP, I tend to keep my mouth shut, however on your first point, I fear your voice will fade away along with the many other complaints recently posted within this section.

Why don't you long term DP members compile a highlighted thread ">>>>Mods we want action!<<<<" Stating all recent complaints and keep that thread alive with follow ups, perhaps create a Poll along with it about how you feel this section is running, good, bad, getting better etc...

Marty_, Dec 27, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  5. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the problem with Solicitations/Announcements forum is that its overloaded with garbage such as dropped domains and pr6 links for $1. When a good offer from an established directory gets announced, it quickly buries 3 pages down. I rarely look at that forum nowadays.

As for moving directory submissions into appropriate categories. I once turned down 5 featured links, had to refund the money in return. Quality = King. Spam = No trust.

aspidov, Dec 27, 2007 IP
  6. sizzler_chetan

Best Answers:
    I think you are right..

Dropped domain issue has become common. If you want to have something good and valuable, begin with everything new and unique. And dumb people are still buying links from those who are selling cheap links on dropped domain high PR directories..

sizzler_chetan, Dec 27, 2007 IP
  7. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that the Solicitations/Announcements forum is full of crap. We only have each other to thank for that. ;)

Look at how many jump on the free listings offered in directories set up on dropped domains. Are these people that desperate for a link?

If the crappy offers were ignored they'd slowly make their way on down the list. I tend to ignore offers that are posted in the wrong forum - I get the feeling the directory owner is either clueless, doesn't care or out for a quick buck.

Best wishes to all for a healthy and happy 2008. :)

CReed, Dec 27, 2007 IP
  8. sizzler_chetan

Best Answers:
    The bolded thing might be the main reason.. that's the reason dropped domains are used to make directories.

And those who submit for backlinks don't get the point that a single link from a quality directory is higher than many crappy links from link farm directories.

sizzler_chetan, Dec 27, 2007 IP
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1st point - If solicitation is in main category here - I ignore it.

If solicitation mentions new and PR in the same breath - I ignore it.

My directory wouldn't last very long if I wasn't willing to move listings. Many of my site owners are not 'webmasters' in the sense that they have only 1 site and are not programmers. I often get some of my best submissions to the Root category. If the site is worthy I simply move it - not everyone understands how a directory works, but they do understand the value of my site and backlinks.

SEO does factor in, but more important to me is if anyone will find what they are looking for; so listings go in the category I think will most likely bring the submitted site visitors.

As for forum moderation, I question why they act on some things and let the easily identified alone. Solicitations in the wrong place should be deleted outright - if they don't understand where it should be - what sort of directory are they going to have anyway?

YMC, Dec 27, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  10. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My sentiments exactly. :)

CReed, Dec 27, 2007 IP
  11. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Perfectly answered and rightly said! :D

95% launched these days are for earning some $$ and then for selling with 10x revenue & some thousands of links.For them its who cares where's it launched, I am getting my submissions! :rolleyes:

humm, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  12. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A little bit off topic but can you just explain to me in simple terms, what a DROPPED domain is? Im assuming expired? If it had good page rank why would the person not keep it? Does it retain PR for the next buyer?

Why do directories seem to come from DROPPED domains as compared to starting new, like when i made up my domain name.?

Would love answers so i understand more. Cheers.

snooks, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  13. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They pick the wrong thread intentionally. I guess. First to have clicks and second a chance to attract prospective buyers. Gone were the days of good sales threads at S&A. Most are crap.
    People drop food at restaurants and would somebody pick them to eat them unless...:D

popotalk, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  14. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:

Hahaha... LOL... I almost drop down laughing... haha... what a reply dude! :D

I will use this one at domains section often now! :cool:

humm, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I don't know why and how they find it edible and healthy unless they are dogs or are so desperate to eat dropped food. :D

popotalk, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  16. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You would be very close to the money that and also i have 10,000 directories is also getting tiring both these and the posts as above are now clogging this forum.

with it now going unchecked, and corrected straight away more and more are acting dumb and stupid and also dropping their crap here, soon unless it's fixed it will be just full of rubbish and a free for all.

Will also add as well for those who do the dumb post thing, i like others cross these from my list as pointless directories to deal with.

DownUnder, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  17. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    If there is a more appropriate category I move it and as far as as
    goes I found out even when you do put it in the right category you it gets shifted to Solicitations/Announcements sometimes

jminscoe, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  18. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As I am a very bad marketter - I hardly get submissions:(

The ones I get are done by professionals (most probably)- as most of them IMO- are right.

However, sometimes there are some problems with Title descriptions and I always edit them whenever I feel. At the same time - I move some sites to the most suitable categories that I deem fit. No problem so far from clients.

If I don't think the submission is at all correct I refund the fee and reject the site.

I still remember a case -- where I refunded a submission simply because it was using the same script and same template like one sites I listed before.:(

@OP - I read your post about Editorial Integrity on Fuzzuk - and I totally agree with the views expressed there.

Every human being has different mindset/tastes -- so it depends on the individual what is his/her views on a particular topic. Integrity - can be sustained/established when that particular person has a consistent view on something and does not change it with the blink of an eye lid.

Well done.:cool:

jhnrang, Dec 29, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  19. khushal

khushal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe there are some more reasons why most Directory owners are even afraid to announce there directories:) Though the P(ee)AID Links and Google PEN AL I ZATION is one thing, but when you know that you've worked so hard on the category structure, the design and trying best promoting as well but you'll not be appreciated for your hard work why bother announcing? Afterall the thread will be buried under the "Get a PR 6 link for $2" threads!

Carry on the promotion and yeah the submissions keep coming!

*Sorry if i sound weird lately*

khushal, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  20. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well after all those questions i want to ask a few off my own...

If you speak and spell in "Spanish or German or whatever"
    why make an English directory... why not your native language?

Do you check the grammar after adding a category..

Do you check for errors and spelling of sites submitted?

Where do the funds/proceeds earned go afterwards?
    Do they go back into your directories or Are we
    unknowingly supporting possible terrorism?... :eek:

Do you just do "Free scripts" and $1.99 .info yearly domains?

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Dec 29, 2007 IP