1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why wasn't GTech banned when he insulted all muslims in the PR???

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by ablaye, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    The Politics and Religion forum specifically states that: Personal attacks include any attacks on someone's personal life, RELIGIOUS BELIEFS, ETHNICITY, or personal habits. at
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=512154

GTech made a post that is deeply offensive to muslims. He made a vile insult at Islam and at the Prophet Mohammed that muslims follow.
    You can read his post at http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=5797560&postcount=121

Why didn't this asshole get banned????

ablaye, Dec 28, 2007 IP
    JoyGoRound and Ibn Juferi like this.
  2. clookid

clookid Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't exactly feel that he was insulting muslims, it completely depends upon the way that you interpret it. It seems to supply more of a rhythm that he is sharing what he believes will happen. It may not be true, but it is simply an opinion.

clookid, Dec 28, 2007 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  3. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Calling someone a pedophile isn't an insult???? What planet do you live on???

ablaye, Dec 28, 2007 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  4. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I am not a Muslim but I feel that it is necessary to have freedom of speech, but also necessary to respect each other's religion. This is GTech undoing. I support ablaye on his call, not calling for his banning but asking the Mods to look into this and decide themselves.

wisdomtool, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  5. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    A personal attack is directed toward someone in particular.

Nevertheless, it is always unfortunate when people are offended. However, in most advanced countries we don't punish people just because other people are offended by something.

If we start to prohibit discussion of things certain people find offensive there would be little left to talk about. The answer to speech you don't agree with is not to try and keep others from speaking, but more speech.

Let your words compete in the marketplace of ideas.

ps: Am I the only one who finds it ironic that in a post complaining of personal attacks, the OP couldn't keep from calling someone an "asshole". You have shown your hypocrisy clearly for all to see. I personally thought it an odd way to impress people with the notion that you were offended by a personal attack. Is your point so weak that you must yourself rely on juvenile insults directed against another member?

browntwn, Dec 28, 2007 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  6. simplyg123

simplyg123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lets face it, in this day and age, Muhammad would be just that, its not an insult, its modern day truth. I mean wasnt he supposedly married to a 12 year old or something?

simplyg123, Dec 28, 2007 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  7. clookid

clookid Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whoops! Got distracted... Only read half of the statement. Sorry about that.

In that case, it is rather... Well, it isn't a personal attack... It is directed at multiple people. But I suppose it is no worse that attacking all of the people that write articles for 1-cent per word, plenty of people do it.

Something should happen about it, but I don't really support a permanent ban... Sorry, once again.

clookid, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  8. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    The comment was directed towards the Prophet whom billions held with great respect, I am not a Muslim, I still feel it is unjustified, If ablaze is a Muslim, he would feel strongly against this. Maybe he can tone down during his request to the mods, but I think it is a valid complaint, though we need to let the mods decide. Discussion do need to follow the rules laid down for that particular forum.

9. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    While I can understand that, not offending the Prophet of a religion is not a rule of this forum nor a religious dictate for many DP members. If we all take that approach then some people can claim to be insulted when President Bush is insulted or ridiculed, or when Israel or 'Zionism' are insulted - should all those people making those insulting posts be banned too?

Personally, I find many things written on DP to be personally offensive, should I try to make sure that others are not allowed to discuss them just because it offends me?

You can't stop all criticism of Islam, even if you find it insulting. The notion that you can is the same attitude that leaves people dead over a cartoon. Personally, I find that type of over-reaction to be far more offensive that the original action.

browntwn, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  10. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    The cartoons' reactions was excessive. It is more propagated by governments and religious interest groups with an axe to grind.

But in this case I think this does apply as below

Personal attacks include any attacks on someone's personal life, RELIGIOUS BELIEFS, ETHNICITY, or personal habits.

Again I am not a mod, so let the mods decide.

11. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think maybe banning the religion forum is a better choice. Why do we need a forum about religion?

No one is going to change anyone elses mind. It is just an emotional reaction. A world with morals and no religion might be a better place for sure it would be a better group of forums.

Colbyt, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  12. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    It is a great forum to discuss different religious views, to interact with people of different religions and to understand each other's differences and similarities. I feel it would be a pity to ban. Take water for eg, you can drown in it, but you can also sail in it. The forum is dead, we as participants need to ensure we sail on water rather than get drown in it with hatred, biases and what now.

13. techblog

techblog Banned

Best Answers:
    techblog, Dec 28, 2007 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  14. tushardhoot1

tushardhoot1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    tushardhoot1, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  15. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    More of GTech insults:

ablaye, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  16. techblog

techblog Banned

Best Answers:
    So because it was not a big deal @ the time, gtech should be banned for being accurate? gtech could in a way be commended for using accurate and technically correct words.

techblog, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  17. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I must have missed those posts. :) All I see is a lot of baiting and bashing going on.

Please don't get me wrong about religion. There are a lot of people of many faiths who are good and moral people. There are mal-contents in all religions. You can tell the good religions and the good followers by their actions and the works they do.

I don't wear my religion "on my sleeve" and I feel no need to force anyone else into believing as I do. The supreme creator by whatever name you call him/her will sort the evil from the good. And I do suspect there will be a lot of surprised believers at that time.

Colbyt, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  18. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    O just be quite and spend some time with your Family.

Thats what is wrong with ALL countries......

Everyone needs more family time :)

sundaybrew, Dec 28, 2007 IP
    clookid and sawz like this.
  19. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Aaww, you guys still feel that the mods here will react to this.
    Forget it ablaye, you cannot just go running behind insane guys everytime, just ignore them and project towards your work.

Ibn Juferi, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  20. spark911

spark911 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not an accurate term. That is a modern term applied to a long-gone practice. Furthermore, most of these marriages were purely political in an attempt to ally tribes to expand the Muslim presence in Arabia.

spark911, Dec 28, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.