1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

H1 or Font Size

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Nokia999, Jan 21, 2006.

H1 tag is important for SEO.But point is whether only H1 tag is important or real importance is of FONT SIZE whatever its in H1 or not ?
    :confused:

Nokia999, Jan 21, 2006 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  2. Sorror

Sorror Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, Hn tags are important.

Sorror, Jan 21, 2006 IP
  3. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    From what i know at this point is that the H1 tag is the most important tag and if you put in to many tags after this it's considdered spamming, like H2 H3 H4 H5 and so on.

I don't know from which point it would be considdered spamming but surely someone else can eloborate on this.

Font size does also play a role as well if it's bold if i am correct but the prefered sizes to make your H1 relevant i don't know.

Edz, Jan 21, 2006 IP
  4. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    There should be at least one H1 tag on every page. It should be short - like a typical document header - and contain the pages primary keyword (as should the <title> tag).

Font size does not matter and header tags by default are bolded. You can control the formatting of your header tags in CSS - example:

h1 {font-size:15px; display:inline; }
    h2 {font-size:14px; display:inline; }

-jay

classifieds, Jan 21, 2006 IP
    Nokia999 likes this.
  5. raven2424

raven2424 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    when using the H tags i always use H1 H2 H3 and no more after that and the pages do well

raven2424, Jan 21, 2006 IP
  6. Basoone

Basoone Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the title tag is the most important because it is the most weighed among the tags. H tags are also usefull because they are heavier than body text. Use CSS to control the font of your h1 and put it at the top most part of your site.

Basoone, Jan 21, 2006 IP
    angelfire likes this.
  7. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right, i meant the most important in sequence of the H tags ;)

Edz, Jan 21, 2006 IP
  8. Serp

Serp Peon

Best Answers:
    Title, hn, strong, p are tags that should be used in a semantic strategy.
    If they are used in that manner there are not problem.
    But... don't make keyword stuffing.

Look at expanded query!:)

Serp, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  9. nohaber

nohaber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    H-tags simply set the font size of a text. There's no difference between using H1 or Font tags to represent text. No user cares if a given big font text is set by a H-tag or Font tag or any other tag. Tags are just means of representing information. What matters is the final font size. Bigger font text is more important then smaller font text. Why would search engines value H tags more than Font tags provided the end result is the same font size? There's no reason. None.

nohaber, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  10. classifieds

Best Answers:
    nohaber,

Header tags are similar to word processing document/report headers - they summarize the contents of a particular page or section. The SEs give them more weight than other portions of a page because technically they should describe what a particular document is about.

classifieds, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  11. nohaber

Best Answers:
    How do you know? You take that for granted right because everyone repeats it?

There's no reason to do so because anyone can put anything in a h-tag. It is about the font size. Google keeps "font size" information, not what tag represented that font size. The user sees the end result (font size), not what specific syntax you used to code it. Search engines are about user experience, not about specific tags. H-tags are not favored over font size tags because this will not improve the relevancy of the results. It will also increase the data stored about documents without any gain in relevancy. Even in the oooold Google paper they had already figured this out.

nohaber, Jan 22, 2006 IP
    mazhi likes this.
  12. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    A good comment

There used to be a valid reason for using the same KWs in the title and in the H1.......Not now.......I have been removing all instances of H1 and replacing with normal text whenever I see them....I would even go so far as to say that the use of H1 etc is non beneficial.

Foxy, Jan 22, 2006 IP
    mazhi likes this.
  13. classifieds

Best Answers:
    I see it differenet in the verticals I compete in - I've proven it to myself through trial and error.

In regards to font size, unless the crawlers are reading css there's no way they can tell the size of the text.

How do you guys know that the Header tags are irrelevant?

classifieds, Jan 22, 2006 IP
    Sorror likes this.
  14. Sorror

Sorror Active Member

Best Answers:
    Pfff, no coment guys ;-)

There is no way a crawlers could to interpret a size of the font, so following, they DO interpret a text between a special tags, Hn for example.

Nohaber: You're just wrong.

Sorror, Jan 22, 2006 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  15. nohaber

Best Answers:
    What about this <font size=5...>?
    The crawler does not interpret font sizes. The parser does this. When the font size is on an external css file, the parser uses heuristics, such as well, I have this h-tag but I don't know if the css has set the font size to a small one. So, let's consider how long is the text, if it is short the parser may assume it is a big font, if it is a whole paragraph, it may interpret it as a normal font size.
    The whole notion that H-tags carry some special whatever meaning is no different that saying that meta-tags are very special and describe the most important thing about a document.
    The safe way to do it: either use short text H-tags, or use <font size= tags. Of course, ranking for anything moderately important will not be decided by on-page factors that much let alone one instance of the keywords be it in font, H, or whatever tags.

Question: why will Google score H-tags higher than <font size=5 for example? Why? How does this improve relevancy?

nohaber, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  16. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    I have recently [after Jagger] looked at all the "stable" sites that were above me before Jagger, stayed there during Jagger, and are still there, on all the 1st 10 positions I held.

In each instance they were leading with images and the content text started a long way down - no H1s were used - in fact the alt was picked up more times than the text by the SEs.

After 1 month and after I had regained a similar position I changed the title on my site to reflect the leading site and left the text intact - no change except for an improvement in other KWs - I then removed the css [smaller] on the H1s - no change - I then removed the H1s - no change.

One month ago I created a new site "Knitting" [in my sig] and did not employ any H1s or "old" techniques - currently for the 3 main KWs it is showing well in all the allins for Google [between 7 and 20] and comparative to the positions achieved in the first example of old sites above - in MSN it is now 2,4,7 - proving, by negative use, that it is not necessary/irrelevant to use the h1/title technique.

Sorry that is not correct eg <font size="3">for example</font>

Foxy, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  17. Sorror

Sorror Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why? Because Hn tags have a limitation. In other case I would define font size as 999999999 and stuffing keywords there and what, should I go on top or something?

Nobody says it's great solution but it's better than get importance form size of font.

Sorror, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  18. nohaber

Best Answers:
    That's just a logical fallacy. Google does not store absolute font size, but relative font size (relative to the other text on page). If the biggest font on a page is 16px, it won't get scored lower than another page with the biggest font 18px. Both are equal in terms of relative font size - they are the biggest font sizes on their respective pages. It's all relative. Words are categorized in categories of font size, for example: biggest font, bigger font, normal font, small font.

nohaber, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  19. Sorror

Sorror Active Member

Best Answers:
    Post it to Google. A question was:

and I've repeat in the second post.

Sorror, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  20. Serp

Serp Peon

Best Answers:
    Nohaber

Google look at semantic. Yahoo! and Msn too.
    I can't belive that you think at that strange things.

Serp, Jan 22, 2006 IP
    mazhi likes this.