1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are you QUALIFIED to appraise?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by pegeler, Dec 24, 2007.

With all due respect to those that KNOW what they're doing, it appears that an awful lot of people do NOT know what they are doing when they appraise someone's domain name.

While someone with a bit of buying/developing sense may take these "appraisals" with a grain of salt, you're doing a real injustice to the newbie that thinks you know what you're talking about.

Throwing your appraisal out there without any research is worthless.

Since I know everyone's going to jump on me like a chicken on a June bug anyway, here's an example.

auction-resource-alerts.com "Too long. Hyphens." Two of the "no-no's" I've received from so-called "experts.

Bottom line.. when the smoke cleared, I sold this one for $850, and it took less than 48-hours.

I asked for an appraisal on TheKingofBarbecue.com The great "appraisers" here said.. "reg fees".

Now this isn't a hot site right now. It's cold, and other than me, not many folks are cookin' outside right now. :)

BUT.. The site provides $200 +/- income each month. NOW how do you rate it? And, it has a PR-1, which beats the heck out of 0/10.

Further, if you put "king of barbecue" (without the quotes,) in a Google or Yahoo search box, TheKingofBarbecue.com ranks in the top 5 pages.

Bottom line.. your "guesstimate" should be labeled as such.

If you feel you're "qualified" at least give the asking party the courtesy of a little research before you lay your "appraisal" on the table.

Pete

pegeler, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  2. Electric-Shadow

Electric-Shadow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It does depend a lot on the keywords used, but generally a lot of multi word hyphen domains are rubbish and names like these can get missed, it's great that you sold it for that much, the buyer obviously knew what they were buying.

Electric-Shadow, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  3. pegeler

pegeler Peon

Best Answers:
    You're right. The buyer also took the time to do a little digging first. :)

I agree.. There is a LOT of trash out there. But, I don't feel that one can put a "stamp of death" on any one type of domain. (Often seen when folks add a hyphen, or the word "the".)

Just backs up the old saying.. Never say never.

Pete

pegeler, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  4. sherryhan

sherryhan Peon

Best Answers:
    There's no point in asking for appraisals in forums because it's almost guaranteed that most people who reply don't know anything. Or else why would they appraise for free?

sherryhan, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  5. Remotay

Remotay Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Whoever bought auction-resource-alerts.com for 850$ Is a complete idiot. Thats all your post proved. Also, the domain itself for "TheKingOfBarbaque" or whatever is worthless. Domain reg at best. And yes, I consider myself qualified.

Remotay, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  6. europeunited

europeunited Peon

Best Answers:
    People try to be friendly, from several appraisal posts at least some consensus can be reached that gives clue on the current value of the domain judging by the DP and similar markets. It's more friendly gesture from the DP community than if no one replied, no need to be harsh to friendly appraisers in my opinion. If you go for paid appraisal services, you may get more realistic estimates here for free.

3 word domain with 2 dashes going for high $$$ price is no where near norm, bottom line if someone wants to offer thousands for skfjieia.com because that coincidences the name of his company, so he will but no one will appraise the domain that high.

Many appriasers at DP give exaggerating prices, domains that hardly go for even the registration fee on the resale market at DP and such are appraised in low $$, better ones likely to recieve offers in low $$ are appraised in high $$ or low $$$. It's not easy to sell domains, even $5 makes difference between sale and no sale, many good domains go for the price of reg. fee, many don't find buyers at all.

If appraisers' appraisals don't do the job, it's best to check the real world of resale market, see for how much similar domains go for to get the sense of how much they may be worth. Many people nowadays look for domain's PR, traffic stats and such making the quality domains with nothing more than quality of its name harder to sell.

europeunited, Dec 24, 2007 IP
    yogesh sarkar likes this.
  7. htmlindex

htmlindex Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Appraisals should always be treated with a grain of salt, nobody can predict what a buyer will pay, they can only give you a ballpark figure as to what a reseller would pay for it. If you get an enduser, you could hit the jackpot.

auction-resource-alerts.com is definately worth only reg fee max as a name to a reseller, but either you struck the jackpot finding an enduser for the name only, or it was sold for that price because it is developed & is making revenue for the buyer to warrant paying such a price (I can see the site is developed).

If your site is making $200/month & you don't mention it in the appraisal request, how will anyone know? If you want a site appraisal, you have to ask for it or your appraisal is only based on the quality of the domain.

Any appraisal you get anywhere will be a "guesstimate" so it doesn't need to be labelled, it's already assumed.

htmlindex, Dec 25, 2007 IP
    europeunited likes this.
  8. europeunited

europeunited Peon

Best Answers:
    Agree, the buyer bought the domain because of its web-site's $200/m income. Without domain's web-site's revenues reported, appraisers give domain's estimated resale price based on the quality of the domain name itself, not the worth of domain name plus web-site income.

europeunited, Dec 25, 2007 IP
  9. pegeler

pegeler Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe THAT'S the problem. Everyone is just trying to grab a domain to sell to someone who hopes to sell to someone, etc.

On the other hand, I look for domains that I hope to turn over to an end user.

Pete

pegeler, Dec 25, 2007 IP
  10. Electric-Shadow

Electric-Shadow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I quite agree, take .sc domains for example they are notoriously hard to sell and for that reason resellers may shy away from bidding on one or buying one, but I had one a few months ago which sold for low $xxx , I won't say which. If a domain is good enough it will sell even if the ext is crap.

Allthough perhaps the buyer was a little too hasty to part with the cash, to be honest he could get a really cracking domain for the same price or less, perhaps he didnt do enough 'digging' else he may have descovered this, no offence to you of course, you did a cracking job selling it for the price you did, and you deserve your kudos :D

ES

Electric-Shadow, Dec 25, 2007 IP
  11. The Emirates Gallastico

The Emirates Gallastico Banned

Best Answers:
    Bang on. No offense at the OP, but the two domains quoted are worth jack shit, if not less.

If they were websites, on the other hand (as it has been claimed they are) they are obviously worth more, but then even sjpajofjapgjapogoipapgsia.info would be worth a decent amount if it was earning $200 a month. And if they are websites, then you're not just asking for a domain appraisal, are you? ;)

The Emirates Gallastico, Dec 25, 2007 IP
  12. chenzen

chenzen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Domain appraisal is just a fair estimate.

You can never appraise a domain accurately.
    If you are biased towards your domain holdings then
    you will never accept low appraisals however accurate they
    might be.

domainers usually sift through overture wordtracker etc.,
    to buy a domain name and even then it might be worth
    jackshit if an enduser does not value them.

how would you appraise google youtube yahoo facebook before they
    were developed?

But generally by going through past sales of domains, hyphens
    and long domain names are always going to be appraised at a
    lesser value.

chenzen, Dec 25, 2007 IP