1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directories vs. Search

Discussion in 'Directories' started by DesertGirl, Dec 24, 2007.

Here is a silly question I am pondering: Why do people still use general directories as opposed to just doing a Google search to find what they are looking for? I say this because I am wondering what is the value for me in spending endless hours submitting my site to directories. I understand for some niche directories, sometimes doing a search is not so useful.

I started my mobile site directory because search is still not refined enough to pick out just the mobile sites. But judging by the traffic directory sites generate I guess people still like to use this way to discover sites.

DesertGirl, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  2. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Your joking right?

malcolm1, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  3. coolmanphp

coolmanphp Peon

Best Answers:
    people still values human edited directory over automatic search.

coolmanphp, Dec 24, 2007 IP
    msolution likes this.
  4. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    I think a high percentage of the directory users are webmasters themselves, however I do believe that there are users that actually use web directories; sometimes it may be better to use a web directory, especially a well categorized one that offers informative links.

It may also be a faster process, as you can quickly navigate through the categories and find the resources you are looking for, however search engines are for a fact more commonly used, web directories are also good for SEO aspects, you see, the more backlinks the better it is, and web directories can often help you in SERPs, resulting that you may get higher rankings on the search engines for the keywords you target.

So basically, a web directory offers several aspects, both for the submitter and for the visitor; I would say proceed with your submission process, you won't regret it. Just make sure you don't waste your time on directories, that aren't even worth submitting to.

I hope that helps,
    Meti

WatchOut, Dec 24, 2007 IP
    msolution likes this.
  5. Rod_Purnell

Rod_Purnell Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with this statement, I use small directories to find things I'm looking for, and my directory stats show others do as well. I get lots of visitors to my hot sauce directory... It's a tight niche, which probably explains the traffic, but shows me that directories are the way to search for better results.

Rod_Purnell, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  6. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    I think niche directories that become recognised resources, can actually achieve substantial traffic

General directories are not so fortunate

However, tis an on going battle for search traffic,,,,,

So who knows what tomorrow will bring

centime, Dec 24, 2007 IP
    msolution likes this.
  7. DirectoryJudge

DirectoryJudge Peon

Best Answers:
    I think maybe because of search results. There are times when the top 10 links are all about shopping sites when you just want some info about a product..

Plus I think there is 1% that doesn't know of Google.. :D

DirectoryJudge, Dec 25, 2007 IP
    msolution likes this.
  8. loredan

loredan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah...right...those are probably Yahoo's employees :)

loredan, Dec 25, 2007 IP
    msolution likes this.
  9. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    actually it depends the kind of info u are searching for, if searching for good knowledge Mr G is undoubtedly the best choice, but if for a product, yahoo gives better results

but if your looking for a list of sites giving a perticular service, so you can choose the best, a directory is a better place to go. just an example :)

just m 2 c

M.

msolution, Dec 25, 2007 IP