1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How stable is PHP 4.3.11

Discussion in 'PHP' started by pchavali, Jan 18, 2006.

We developed a very heavy traffic site with PHP 4.3.11 (that was the latest available at the time of development). I heard comments that our site may have random bugs if not upgraded to the lastest PHP version. How stable is PHP 4.3.11 - is this statement of having Random bugs hold any ground?

pchavali, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  2. LGRComp

LGRComp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What kind of bugs? I run 4.3.11 on my server and several other clients on other servers all have 4.3.11 on those servers. Never seen any problems with them.

LGRComp, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  3. pchavali

pchavali Peon

Best Answers:
    Well - I haven't seen any specific bugs related to PHP myself. The client's 3rd party "expert" mentioned that we are having problems or will have problems because we running an outdated version of PHP and by upgrading to latest version, the random bugs go away - something I never heard of. I can't risk upgrading without testing it in development. So looking for answers on how critical is that I abandon 4.3.11 ASAP as per this "expert".

pchavali, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  4. rossriley

rossriley Guest

Best Answers:
    No php 4.3.11 is about as stable as they come......
    In fact its stability is one of the reasons it's so hard to talk hosts into upgrading. Your 3rd party adviser no doubt prefers to work in PHP 5 and is trying to scare you into upgrading.

rossriley, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  5. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    I went to the PHP site and saw where they are encouraging php4 users to upgrade to php 4.4.2. This version was just released a few days ago.
    If it is possible and convenient, I would probably upgrade.. But that is just picking nits. I agree with rossriley: php 4.3 is a stable platform.

neterslandreau, Jan 19, 2006 IP