1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How insane is this lol?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by SolutionX, Dec 19, 2007.

In order to file for bankruptcy, I have to pay about $1k lmao.

Does this make sense to anyone else? :confused: I mean, I'm trying to file for bankruptcy! :rolleyes:

I can understand if it were a private lawyer, but this is from the state legal services thing, and I have to pay it up front before even getting a consultation.

If I had $1k, I don't think i'd be trying to file lol.

SolutionX, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most people owe a lot more than $1k so for them it's worth it. Why do you need to file anyways? How much you owe?

RectangleMan, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  3. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's about $10 - $20k total (maybe more). Some small business credit, some personal credit, some student loans, some medical bills, some utilities... I haven't added it up completely, partly 'cause I don't even really want to know or log into my accounts until I get legal counsel. I am way too clueless to wanna take any risks. I have done some research online, but not sure what to trust. I think looking it up online is good starting point, but in the end I need the advice of a lawyer to feel safe about it.

I'm staying with friends right now, so that's why I can get by without any money, but I really don't want to make them pay it for the $1k.

SolutionX, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  4. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Do a google search for your local bar association referral service. Usually, in many states, they can arrange for you to meet with an attorney for a low or minimal fee for a first consultation.

In Los Angeles the fee is $35 and for that you can meet with up to 3 attorneys who will each at least hear your concern and hopefully give you some decent advice or point you in the right direction. This page has links to most of the various state referral services.

Good luck.

p.s. Don't be foolish and think here is where you will save a couple bucks. If you are in trouble, pay for the professional service that might actually help you in the long run.

browntwn, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  5. logylaps

logylaps Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sux that you have to file bankruptcy. I hope that you have thought this through and decided it was the best thing to do in your situation. You could just work your ass off for a year to pay back the money and not have to place such a huge stain on your history.

Wish the best of luck to you, Logy Laps.

logylaps, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  6. logylaps

logylaps Active Member

Best Answers:
    Haha just thought of something :)
    Why dont you get a loan to pay the 1k?
    If you did that it would so make my day.

logylaps, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  7. ruffnat

ruffnat Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, that's a good one

made me wonder if bankruptcy lawyers might give credit

ruffnat, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  8. n1ck

n1ck Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol would work cept no one would give him a loan.

n1ck, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  9. UKWebmasterForum

UKWebmasterForum Guest

Best Answers:
    I would try and get the $1,000 through credit and pay it that way. If your decision on bankruptcy is final, what's the problem? The $1,000 fee isn't really suprising, since they are legal fees and other people need to get paid too.

Why don't you leave the country? You could clear all your debts then :p.

UKWebmasterForum, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  10. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am pretty sure you can't claim student loans in bankruptcy.

RectangleMan, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  11. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    LMAO... best idea yet. :D But nah, I was only making enough to get approved, when I applied, then the medical problems started really snowballing shortly after.

I've been vehemently against making any kind of deals, but I've picked up enough tips here on marketing, and been feeling healthy enough... I just may consider it (after I get the lawyer thing straightened out).

Funny how I came on here to learn marketing and ended up learning so much more. :)

Gotta clean my room/office first haha.

SolutionX, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  12. madk

madk Peon

Best Answers:
    Truthfully the first thing you need to do is figure out EXACTLY how in debt you are. Avoiding the facts is going making your situation worse. If you do not know this you obviously aren't prepared to handle the responsibility of filing for bankruptcy.

Seriously the best advice you can give someone who is in debt is to get your shit together. Plain and simple. Hard work will pay off. And always remember, bankruptcy is the easy way out.

madk, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  13. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    You're absolutely right. :eek: Thank you for putting me in place. I truly needed a swift kick to the butt to get me going lol. I'm working on it right now. :)

14. waxingpoetic

waxingpoetic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah me too.

waxingpoetic, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  15. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    in the UK they have IVA which basically means they reduce the debts to something you can afford, alternatively i used to work for a bank and if people contacted us in advance we would try to arrange a payment plan or put a hold on payments for so many months.

Also check to see if you have any type of payment protection insurance (again UK based but i would imagine something similar exists in the US) its an insurance that pays your bills for x number of months - usually 12

tony84, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  16. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    I turned down the payment protection.

BTW, I've been doing quite a bit of research today on many things.

Here's my favorite movie quote as of today. It applies to way too many things going on right now that are sending me to the crazy side of my brain.

"Remember what I said
    about not caring if I lived or died?"

"You knew I was kidding, right?"

:(

Thanks for all the advice... gotta go.

guerilla likes this.
  17. xspeedyx

xspeedyx Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes i been offered IVA but i laughed reduce your debts but if you filling to become bankrupt what the hell is the worth them even trying to Offer you IVA makes me laugh man, if i wanted to reduce payments i would arrange to have payments reduce, they can feel free to take me to court but Legal Min Payment is one Pounds lol bankruptcy in UK is the way to go ;) Only last 1 Year, but on file you still will show upto 7 Years

xspeedyx, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  18. jack40k

jack40k Banned

Best Answers:
    lol as if you'd get bankrupt? Do you guys have jobs? Did you go to school? Do you have parents? I got banned from Paypal and I can still earn cash online and I'm only 16 and I work a high paying job (by 16 year old standards haha)...I got more money than my friends who leach off their parents...

jack40k, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  19. xspeedyx

xspeedyx Banned

Best Answers:
    You be surprised messed up and funny world we live in everything and anything is possible ;)

xspeedyx, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  20. t.sealey

t.sealey Peon

Best Answers:
    creditboards.com forum can help you

t.sealey, Dec 23, 2007 IP