1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Got this weird email about a domain name

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by moratraffic, Dec 20, 2007.

I got a weird email today from this one site. It went like this:

On Dec 20, 2007 2:23 PM (GMT) Tom Wrote:

Hello Bryan,

You have recently registered a domain name "lain.in" on Dec 10, 2007.

This domain was previously registered with the Registrar ENom, where the domain got deleted accidentally. However the circustances under which this occurred, the registrant did not restore the domain.

Now since the old registrant would like to regain the domain name, we would request you whether you would connsider letting the original registrant have it back because the domain name was accidentally deleted.

Please reply us with your decision about the same.

Regards,
    Tom

I don't want to give the name up and does anyone think that this may be a scam or what? I never got anything like this before nor have I heard about this. Can they take the name back or is it mine now? Any help would be appreciated!

moratraffic, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  2. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who was the sender of the email?

dnk, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  3. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a scam to me. First time I've heard of a domain being deleted accidentally.

qazu, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  4. moratraffic

moratraffic Banned

Best Answers:
    It was someone with an email at . It reeks of a scam to me so I just wanted an opinion on it.

5. europeunited

europeunited Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a genuine question, if you want to give it away it's your will, if not you don't. It's a good looking domain. How could you reply a 'do_not_reply@' email anyway!?:)

europeunited, Dec 20, 2007 IP
    moratraffic likes this.
  6. save

save Active Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of people got screwed at Registerfly so it's possibly genuine but as mentioed, not written very well etc. I would check the history of the name and if you can be bothered then ask them to give you much more details and proof and then ask for some compensation (whatever you feel it's cost you). You are under no obligation to give it back if it was theirs but you can decide if you want to give it back or not.

save, Dec 20, 2007 IP
    moratraffic likes this.
  7. moratraffic

moratraffic Banned

Best Answers:
    lol The weird thing was it was sent as a trouble ticket reply to me. The actual email gave me a login name and generic password to use to login and then I could see the actual message that they sent me. I like the domain personally and I don't really want to give it up. Thanks for all the help.

8. jesi1801

jesi1801 Banned

Best Answers:
    nice point, i think it's a scam don't even if it's not don't worry i don't think the domain has any registered trademarks unless that they can't take your domain away, and how can a domain gets deleted accidently
    lol dat's stupid :confused:

jesi1801, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  9. aniani

aniani Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can delete a domain name, if you click on the delete button and confirm delete, it would delete and it would also confirm that the person doing it was stupid.

It seems that one of the customer of http://resellerclub.com ended up doing it and would have contacted the support team and the support team after checking the whois details would have created the support ticket to contact you.

Now, if you like the domain, dont sell or, If you think the customer is desparate, ask for some big booty :)

Hahaha

Just my 2cent

Ani

aniani, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  10. gocubs19

gocubs19 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He is obviously desperate, sell it to him for $100 or more!

gocubs19, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  11. moratraffic

moratraffic Banned

Best Answers:
    lol I thought about this and I will probably respond to them and tell them exactly that. I have it up at Sedo and it gets traffic, so I will tell them that and hopefully make a nice sale off of it. I will let everyone know how it goes haha

12. gocubs19

Best Answers:
    Great! Make sure to update this!;)

gocubs19, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  13. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    Don't forward the domain/delete the domain unless you are compensated (this is assuming you are willing to give them the chance).

Use escrow service and be safe.

You don't provide a charity service.

Fka200, Dec 21, 2007 IP
  14. htmlindex

htmlindex Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Have never heard about anything like this before. It could possibly be a scam. You don't have to give the domain back nor do they have any right to take the domain back from you. If they want the domain, you can sell it to them at a price agreed between both of you.

htmlindex, Dec 21, 2007 IP
  15. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Could be a scam but it could also be genuine because someone dropped their name by accident - happens regularly. You are under no obligation to sell it. One word of caution - and it's this - if the domain really was accidently dropped / deleted and you try to squeeze the previous owner for money for it, they may have a legitimate case for approaching the .in governing body to give them the domain back as you would be considered using it purely to 'extort' money from the previous owner.

mcfox, Dec 21, 2007 IP
  16. zeldaze

zeldaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    Scam. You can tell my the wording and everything that some little kid probably wrote this up. Pure scam.
    "Now since the old registrant would like to regain the domain name, we would requeSt you whether you would Consider letting the original registrAnt have it back because the doMain name was accidentally deleted."
    He probably missed out on registering the domain or something so he wants it of you, that gives me lulz

zeldaze, Dec 21, 2007 IP
  17. Nosfer

Nosfer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah, i also think it's a scam. I don't believe in mistakes when it comes to domains.

Nosfer, Dec 21, 2007 IP
  18. moratraffic

moratraffic Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys. I just replied to the email and they said that they forwarded it to the previous owner and if interested, they would contact me. I told them I would sell it but I would like to keep the name, so they will have to pay. I was never just going to give it back and like you said, this is not a charity service lol

moratraffic, Dec 21, 2007 IP
  19. gocubs19

Best Answers:
    Yea, you definitely know what you're doing!:D

Thanks for the update!

gocubs19, Dec 21, 2007 IP
  20. moratraffic

moratraffic Banned

Best Answers:
    Final update here lol Got an offer on Sedo for $200 for the name so I will get rid of it. I spent $4 for the name and they will give me $180 after fees, so I will take it :D

moratraffic, Dec 29, 2007 IP