1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Really Bad Ad Filtering Advice -- Do Not Read!!!! Do Not Click This!!!

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Sem-Advance, Jan 15, 2006.

Hi I got your attention.

There was some bad advice given in another thread and I would like to explain the reasons it is not good advice.

Who gave it is not important so I am not adding names just the information that is bad.

While this sounds like a good idea there is a huge element that is missing.

Many marketing departments raise and lower bids daily due to many circumstances.

For instance an ecommerce based website we will call BlueWiget Sales, may make most of their sales for 'blue widget equipment" between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. During this time each day Monday through Friday their bids on over 100 blue widget related keywords is $24.00 per click, as their margin for 1 sale of blue widget equipment is $1,000.00 they can afford to pay this amount.

After 5:00 Pm however BlueWidget Sales has never had an ecommerce sale nor any on the weekends,and so each night at 5:00Pm before going home they lower their bid to 0.10 so as to not waste money on clicks that will not convert, on Friday night they set the bids to 0.10 and they stay there till Monday at 9:00am

You do your research at say 5:40PM Thursday or any time during the weekend,and see BlueWiget Sales has a low pay per click of 0.10 cents and you filter out their ads.

You have just screwed yourself out of at least a few dollars per click based on bad advice found in a forum.

And the more I thought about this it made me think how really bad this advice is as Google is always going to display the highest paying ads due to smart pricing.

If the original idea sounds like a good idea it should be investigated quite a bit...you would need to keep some kind of spreadsheet and check bid prices different times of the day, different days, months ( they forgot seasonality issues as well) .

You would also need to monitor all of the keywords you were targeting.

And while you are doing all of that your competition (me) has put together another website of original content and earning revenues..

Careful of advice...while some seems smart............it's not

Peace

Sem-Advance, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  2. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Good advice. ;)

Seiya, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  3. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    that ad filtering advice was so bad...thank god i didn't read or click it.

devin, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  4. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    I've *always* done worse if I filtered. Finally gave it up.

flawebworks, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  5. BuildHome

BuildHome Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, don't use the ads filter.

BuildHome, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  6. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Not exactly correct if you are getting irrelevant ads on your site. I had to do this for one of my sites when the site is about mobile phones and i was getting video game ads..

Seiya, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  7. BuildHome

Best Answers:
    What I ment was to not use the ads filter on ads with low earning.

About the irrelevant ads, I did it too (2 websites until now).

8. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Why?

I was getting ads with really low payout so I decided to track which ones were losing me visitors and paying me next to nothing and why by using channels.

What I found was that sites on my adsense that were offering free stuff related to my content were either link farms or affiliate sites and nothing Free could be found. So my guess was that my ex-visitors were not happy with the site they had just clicked into and probably X out right away giving me low payout for the click.

I started filtering out these bad sites such as Getitfree.net and within 24hrs my payouts went up.

So now what I do is check out the URL that is being served on my site and if I don’t like what I see, in other words doesn’t have the content as advertised or is badly designed, its gets filtered.

The aim is to get your ex-visitor to stay on the clicked site as long as possible or to purchase something then your click value goes up, from what I see.

I would disagree by saying don’t use ads filter but do use it carefully - Don’t filter a site that may bring value to your visitors, usually the ones that provide what they have actually advertised.

Someone might say that I am wrong but from my findings my payout is better which is good enough for me.

cormac, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  9. BuildHome

Best Answers:
    If you have enough ads with your ads filter so it's fine I guess but not everyone have a lof of ads on their website topic and if they will block some ads they can see google service ad.

cormac likes this.
  10. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually good point there and I guess Im lucky for now.

Does Adwords allow you to see how many adverts are available for keywords? I havent started exploring Adwords just yet :(

cormac, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  11. BuildHome

Best Answers:
    I didn't see any option about this in AdWords.