1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

50 Milliseconds For You To Impress

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by T0PS3O, Jan 14, 2006.

According to this study you have as long as a sinlge video frame to make a visitor of your web site stay.

If your site doesn't load fast, they might be gone even well before arriving at that judgement split second.

Interesting research all of you should read. Also note the comment on usage of images.

I guess that overly prominent ads will ad to the scare factor, don't you think?

T0PS3O, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I know that first impression is ever so important. Wish they had shown some examples of sites that ranked well in their study. An all white page with no graphics and poor layout really turns me off.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  3. FeelLikeANut

FeelLikeANut Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't say that I agree with the conclusion that visitors may leave your site immediately if they don't like what they see. When I'm jumping through search engine results, I'm not looking for the sexiest page there is; I'm looking for the information I wanted. I have bookmarked and regularly visit some very ugly sites because of the information and tools they provide. I know of these sites because I didn't leave when I first saw how ugly they are.

Although, I do agree with the claim that content may be rated more favorably if the page is visually attractive, for the same reason that you are more likely to accept information from a person if he or she is in a suit rather than dirty jeans and a t-shirt. It gives us an impression of professionalism.

FeelLikeANut, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  4. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Depends on the purpose of the site as well, I would agree in general with that summary though.

I know on an information website that if I make the pages take longer to load the CTR for adsense rises sharply!

If the pages load fast the page impressions rise and the CTR drops sharply, so depending on what I want the site/page to do and it's purpose there are a number of reasons for adjusting page load times, layout, colour and design.

sji2671, Jan 15, 2006 IP
    dct likes this.
  5. seanro

seanro Banned

Best Answers:
    summary ->get a good server !!

seanro, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  6. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I agree with this, but I think it's especially true when a visitor knows that the site is nothing new.
    One of my sites isn't the fastest loading site (As the amount of high quality images which make up the design) which means I have to make other elements more gripping such as the window title and the fast loading text.

This is another reason I feel Flash sites are totally overrated.

Blitz, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  7. KGL

KGL Peon

Best Answers:
    Flash sites are extremely overated as well as splash pages.
    Slow loading sites are obviously bad.
    Well said.

Content is still and forever king.
    The internet was based on the ability to retrieve information easier.
    Pictures and graphics come second.

KGL, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  8. Warren Contreras

Warren Contreras Peon

Best Answers:
    I find their study interesting since even though I have a Cable connection it took two seconds to even load.

If you have a page with graphics, can't you first load a text headline to make them want to wait?

Warren Contreras, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  9. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    This study must be based on ready made images of pages from websites since there aren't any pages that load in 50 ms :eek:

This 50 ms study is not accurate in my oppinion.
    So i guess it all comes down to the first object that appears on your screen that will give the first impression and from that point it will take 50 ms but this is based on the first object and not as described in the study ''the page'' since a whole page can't be loaded in such a short time.

Therefor talking about web page (site) first impression is inaccurate since this can never be recieved in 50 milliseconds.

First impression does count of course but this will take a little longer then 50 ms.

Edz, Jan 17, 2006 IP