1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

5,290,000,000 Pages Indexed ??

Discussion in 'Google' started by q8uwait, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I think this is the calm before the storm. If you think about the amount of web pages that are be deployed every day, it's crazy. Pages are being published today at an unprecedented rate. It would seem a major indexing shuffle would be ongoing. Sometimes more visible to users.

*soft raindrops falling*

H

Homer, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  2. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:

Threads: 295,281, Posts: 2,349,913, Members: 129,165
    Welcome to our newest member, lilgiggler35

Maybe they're showing vBseo some love?

ForgottenCreature, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  3. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    I thought DP would have more than this .... Results 1 - 10 of about 374,000 from forums.digitalpoint.com.

Cyclops, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  4. StudioWorks

StudioWorks Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's an error, a glich. Not even eBay has so many indexed pages, and google shows you have more than 5 billion.

StudioWorks, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  5. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    :eek: Thats mind boggling. Congratulations
    I gave Google a sitemap so they could find my 56 URLs. And they only indexed 42.. :eek:

Yes but q8uwait has the Eagles, Hotel California as his first result :p

tattoos, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  6. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    google is changing some big think on their algo. my indexed pages are also changing nearly %30. i think it's better to wait and see the results

trichnosis, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  7. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    It isn't using vBSEO.

sweetfunny, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  8. Boulder

Boulder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

WOW sweetfunny! You just answered a question I kept asking myself the other day.. And that question was.. Does pretty permalinks in the URL really make all that much difference?

Well it appears that pretty peramalinks do not really matter all that much on the large scale aspect.. It would appear more with you site that having a high member count and high traffic, and most importantly in my eyes, is the good post volume containing original unique content.. is way more important than having pretty permalinks.

Nice site you have there!

Boulder

Boulder, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  9. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Pretty permalinks or CRU's are not necessary, but they are desirable for two reasons.

One is, when a keyword URL is on a page it's descriptive of what the page is about and can invoke a higher click through rate. If you read a page about Red Tomatoes and the page links to domain.com/about-red-tomatoes.html your average internet user will be more inclined to click it rather than domain.com/page?1234

The other is if someone links to one of your pages without using anchor text, the CRU's act somewhat as a keyword anchor.

vBulletin will function perfectly fine "out of the box" and with a few manual tweaks it will function even better. vBSEO is good for people who know nothing about SEO, it's all preconfigured and the SEO can be done by a few clicks. The biggest advantage of vBSEO isn't the fancy URL's it's consolidating Pagerank to the one URL version.

Also that one isn't my site, i'm just helping out with the SEO on it.

10. ron21

ron21 Banned

Best Answers:
    wow! that huge!!!

ron21, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  11. Boulder

Best Answers:
    Okay sweetfunny.. thanks for a little more clarification.. Yes, I can see your point how a single person would be more likely to click on a URL such as, this: domainname.com/Delicious-Red-Tomatoes.html rather than domain.com/page?1234```

However, as far as for the number of SE backlinks, page number indexing, and SERP's, it almost appears irrelevant..

Unless of course what you saying about, "consolidating Pagerank to the one URL version" requires having permalinks to operate?

By the way sorry for the newbeeeee sounding question! But, what in the heal does, "consolidating Pagerank to the one URL version" mean, exactly?

Boulder

Boulder, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  12. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Consolidate Pagerank, well with vBulletin one thread creates multiple URL's. Every post on the page has it own showpost.php URL. For example here is your post URL. Times that by 20 posts per page and you now have 21 seperate URL's for a 1 page thread.

Then you also have Printthread.php so there is another, plus there is archive.php and if you don't redirect your http version to www version you have double. That's 46 seperate URL's per one single thread.

So consolidate Pagerank means having all link juice flowing to the one showthread.php instead of splitting it between 46 URL's.

Hope that makes sense.

13. mit

mit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hey, that's great indexing...So, is it a PHP website I think?

mit, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  14. westhaven

westhaven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you shud not mention about it here :)

westhaven, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  15. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    Very cool - is that site a fulltime job? How much money do you make from it?

pondlife, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  16. Boulder

Best Answers:
    Yes that makes some sense, as I have WP blogs with same problem.. And I do have code or a 301 to redirect the www and I see what you mean how one single post can have so many individual URL's.. But what I have some trouble understanding is, how in the heck does a person go about streamlining or consolidating all those individual paths in to having only one same DL?

Seams like it would be a hard feat to concur making all those individual links read as only one, or all having the same URL's.....

Boulder

Boulder, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  17. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    By using a combination of Robots.txt, Nofollow to help channel Pagerank, .htaccess redirects and some code alterations. You certainly don't need to do every URL manually, otherwise it would take forever. :)

18. princet

princet Peon

Best Answers:
    You have only 17 pages that are not supplemental.
    That is horrible - site:/mixq8.com

princet, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  19. iMacFlats

iMacFlats Active Member

Best Answers:
    My /forums shows:

iMacFlats, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  20. iMacFlats

iMacFlats Active Member

Best Answers:
    Interestingly, if I click on page 10 of my 9 million results.... I get this...

We're sorry...

... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.

iMacFlats, Dec 17, 2007 IP