1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CPM not working. Very frustrating!

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Jiraiya, Jan 14, 2006.

I am having a hard time with CPM ads (site targeting.) I have a few sites added into my campaign and I have a budget of $20 and have set the CPM up to $20 for all those sites but still my ads do not show up!

This is my first time trying CPM and I have no clue why it won't show my ad. Any ideas?

Jiraiya, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  2. sayyes

sayyes Peon

Best Answers:
    When I've used CPM, it usually takes a day or so before my ads start getting impressions. I'm not sure why, but that's been my experience.

sayyes, Jan 14, 2006 IP
    Jiraiya likes this.
  3. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Apparently site targetting take a little bit more to get the ads approved.

But something that you must know regarding site targetting is that the ads impressions for that site will nor be only priority for your Ads. The content network will run normnally and for every 100000 impressions for that site, your ad will share appear just 1 time.

Instead of try to selecting just a few sites, you must select about 200 sites (use google !) in list and worry about only with the sites that are not producing enough clicks for too much impressions (low CTR%) or not enought conversions - this is the way that it works.

Trust me if you select a initial list of 200 sites: you will eliminate 50 sites that is too expensive per click ($2,00 per click for example) , and another 100 will not get more then 10 clicks a day all together- this is the way that it works - so expect also pay a high price in the first weeks and run a lot of reports too.

Micromag, Jan 15, 2006 IP
    Jiraiya likes this.
  4. Jiraiya

Jiraiya Peon

Best Answers:
    ic, thanks for the tips. I set it up late friday night. So hopefully, it will be running today, Sunday, or tomorrow Monday.

I'll also add more sites to my list then.

Jiraiya, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    When I had the same I just kept upping the bid until it kicked in. It's way to expensive though for the exposure or clicks in comparison.

T0PS3O, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  6. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not unusual to see delays of up to 2 - 3 days for CPM ads to start running, at least that's been the case for me. As TOPS30 pointed out sometimes the ads won't kick in unless you're bidding above a certain amount, but there's no tool or way to see the suggested bid to get a campaign going. Hopefully Google fixes that in a future release. At $20/CPM though you should be fine unless you're bidding on highly, highly competitive sites.

GuyFromChicago, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  7. Micromag

Best Answers:
    At lest for me, my ads are never approved on weekends.

As he setup the ads friday night, probably only Monday they will run.

8. Jiraiya

Jiraiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Any idea how someone can tell it is a highly competitive site? Would the site always show "Ads By Google" instead of "Ads By Goooooogle"? I'm under the impression that is how you can tell if the ads are CPM or pay per click.

I was thinking, at $20/CPM those are very high paying sites for the publisher!

Jiraiya, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  9. Micromag

Best Answers:
    Try tons of small sites.

I normally begin my list with 200 sites and normally I do not pay too much more then .25 per CPM

There are cases/products that CPM do not works at least for me - but give a try.

Also at google site list select the sites that shows 500.000+ and you will get a lot of impressions.

10. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really, it's more of a guess that a science. After you run a few dozen campaigns you'll start to pick up on things to look for.

Typically, a site that gets a lot of page views will cost more on a CPM level that site with a smaller number of views - although that's not an "abosolute" rule.

GuyFromChicago, Jan 16, 2006 IP
    Jiraiya likes this.