1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who's responsibility is it ?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Eskarina, Dec 17, 2007.

I purchased a link from a member here, before google made it a bad thing to do.

They have now messaged me, pestering me to pay for the last 5 months of my link placement because they have just realised that my link is still on their website. I was completely unaware of this, as I have links all over the www and it would be impossible to check them all. The member wants $50 from me for the last 5 months !

I'm worried that I shall get bad feedback, because I don't want to pay for the past 5 months that they believe I owe them .... I didn't ask for my link to remain on their website beyond the amount of time I already payed for, up front.

I also find it strange that this person is pestering me for money the very same day I placed a $200 logo competition in the contests forum and obviously do not want anyone round here giving me a bad reputation because that logo contest is very important.

Who's responsibility is it for leaving my link on their website, beyond the time I purchased it for ? :confused:

Eskarina, Dec 17, 2007 IP
    bobmeetsworld likes this.
  2. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's their responsibility to track when links expire, if they weren't organised enough to remove the link once it expired then it's their own bad luck.

MattUK, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  3. Artvision

Artvision Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agree with MattUK. The same way they can invoice you after 20 Years for $ XXXXX just because they forgot to remove your link(s). :)

Artvision, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  4. alex_d1

alex_d1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed with both of the above.
    It is the sellers responsibility to keep track of links that they have sold on their site. If they forgot to remove the link after the specified time, its their fault and not yours, and I find it pretty dodgy for them to try and charge you for the 5 months that they left your link on.

Alex

alex_d1, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  5. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is their responsibility to take care of keeping track of the link. The only exception would be if you had an agreement to keep the link and be billed for it. This is unlikely the case.

Who the hell leaves a link up for five months and then wants someone to pay for it? They can not give you bad feedback because there should be no current thread to leave it in. I say if they keep bugging you. list the members name so other know what they are trying to do.

allout, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  6. Eskarina

Eskarina Guest

Best Answers:
    :eek::eek:

That's a good point actually !

Business-wise, I know it's not my responsibility but was feeling worried & slightly threatened (due to my current contest) by the persistence and manner in which it all came about :(

I have had good dealings with the member before, and considered them a "dp friend" as we communicated well on our last transaction. And so I felt guilty and concerned that maybe they needed money really badly. In which case they only needed to have asked instead of try pressuring me.

The first message was for 5 months back-payment and stated that if I want my link to remain I must also pay for future months.

... but I just went and checked the website & their hosting account is suspended anyway !!

I'm glad I didn't just pay up, because I very nearly did except that I was too busy and told them I'd do it later .... by which time I received another rather odd message saying "I hope you are not running away on this" which made me think twice .... luckily.

I know it's not a lot of money ... but still, what a cheek ! :rolleyes:

I'm not going to bother feeling bad about it now, I think that's what they were relying on.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Eskarina, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  7. theBY

theBY Banned

Best Answers:
    That's crazy - you don't owe him a penny.

theBY, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  8. shyboy

shyboy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This whole thing raises an important question. I have come across a few instances lately where someone has been blatantly scammed. When I enquired why they have not left any Neg feedback so it acts as a warning to other members and might dissuade other people falling into the trap, the answer has been " I would but he will leave me a neg and it will spoil my rep"

So we have a situation where iTrader is becoming less effective as a means of determining how trustworthy someone is.

Maybe we should do what the OP has done here. Maybe we should create a dedicated forum called ON TRIAL where people who have some argument post a description of the problem. If they receive a neg, they can maybe somehow point to the thread the started explaining the problem and the reason for the Neg. It can become like a trial by your peers.

Will make an excellent forum to read when bored :D

btw, this is in the wrong forum.

shyboy, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  9. rossdalangin

rossdalangin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is their responsibility and not yours. Ask a moderator about it that someone will give you a bad reputation because of a blackmail.

rossdalangin, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  10. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There responsability 100%

w3bmaster, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  11. abdulw11

abdulw11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not your fault at all, tell them to bugger off.

abdulw11, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  12. F1RM

F1RM Peon

Best Answers:
    They forgot to remove the advertisement, it's their problem/their mistake.

With this kind of judgement, let's all publish thousands of pages, link to microsoft and bill them one year later, wouldn't that be convenient?

Alan Johnson

F1RM, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  13. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Not necessarily, it depends on the contract - look at many paid for membership sites, it is up to the buyer to say they want to cancel their membership otherwise it will be assumed that it is to be renewed automatically and the fees will be due again.

I suspect however there is no contract in which case if you paid for 1 months advertising then it is their responsibility not yours.

AstarothSolutions, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  14. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would be VERY surprised if there was a written contract for a link sale.

MattUK, Dec 18, 2007 IP
  15. JKhoury

JKhoury Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And so would I. If they're negligent enough to leave you're link hanging around for almost half a year, then it's their own fault and they should cut their losses and move on. I'd speak to a mod and explain the situation if they end up giving you some bad feedback .. maybe they can do something to straighten it out.

JKhoury, Dec 18, 2007 IP
  16. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    definately not your fault.

Im very unorganised if/when i sell links so i just leave them up until the end of the year then remove them all or ask the people if they want to pay for another few months, if not i remove them.

If you get bad rep then you can reply to the thread. You got more than you paid for but thats their fault for not removing the link or checking to see if you still wanted it or not. At the end of the day they havnt lost any money they just havnt earnt it because they didnt get off their ass to check - dont worry about it, if you get red repped ill give you green to balance it out :)

tony84, Dec 18, 2007 IP