1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ wtf is going on?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by sweetlouise, Dec 16, 2007.

Hi, I made an application to Dmoz about 2 days ago to a reasonably small category and I received the below email -

##################################
    Dear ***** ********,
    Thank you for your interest in becoming an Open Directory Project editor!Although we would like you to join us as a volunteer editor, you have chosen a category that is already well represented, or is broader than we typically assign to a new editor. We would encourage you to re-apply for a category that has fewer editors or is smaller in scope, in orderto increase your chances of being accepted. Feel free to reapply by submitting an application in another area. If you wish to re-apply, you must fill out another application. Please do not reply to this email. Regards, The Open Directory Project Additional reviewer comments:

So I dug a little deeper into the category, resubmitted my application with an updated note, choose 2 different sites, both not in Dmoz, both had pr5 or above, both had no advertising (except 1 small Google ad at the bottom of the page on 1 site) and I get this email -

Dear ***** ********,
    Thank you for your interest in becoming an Open Directory Project editor. After careful review, we have decided not to approve your application at this time. The most common reasons a reviewer will deny a new application include, but are not limited to, * Incomplete application. Insufficient information has been provided in some fields including reason, affiliation and/or Sample URLs. * Improper spelling and grammar. * Sample URLs are inappropriate for the category which one has applied to edit. They may be too broad, too narrow, completely out of scope, poor quality, or in a language inappropriate for the category. All non-English sites are listed in the World category. Applications for World categories that include sites only in English will be denied. Likewise, applications for World categories that include sample URLs in languages other than the one appropriate for the applied category will be denied. * Not properly disclosing affiliations with websites that are, or have the potential of being, listed in the category. * Titles and descriptions of sample URLs (and other information provided) were subjective and promotional rather than unbiased and objective. ODP editors do not rank or write website reviews. ODP editors provide objective and unbiased descriptions of websites and their content. * Self-Promotion. Application which leads us to believe that the candidate is interested primarily in promoting his/her own sites or those with which the applicant is affiliated. The ODP is not a marketing tool, and should not be used to circumvent the site submission process. If this is an applicant's motivation for joining, then we ask him/her not to apply. Editors found to be inappropriately promoting their own site will be promptly removed. Due to the large number of applications we get every day, we are unable to provide personal responses to every application or to respond to inquiries about why you were rejected. If a reviewer chose to provide additional comments to you, they will be given in the "Reviewer Comments" section below. Your willingness to volunteer is greatly appreciated and perhaps we will be able to utilize your talent in the future. Regards, The Open Directory Project
    ####################################

I must say I was rather disappointed to receive this, my application was good, I included all my credentials (which are exceptional) and some over zealous editor has bumped me. is there an editor on here that can give me the truth about why I was knocked back, I would be happy to pm them my reference numbers for both applications.

sweetlouise, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The first message is a standard one saying that the selected category is unsuitable for a beginner for some reason and asking you to select a different one.

The second message is also standard, saying that your second application was declined for one or more of the common reasons in the list. Had it been for some other reason, this would have been spelled out in a further comment.

Without knowing your proposed editor name or category, I can't look any deeper. We don't subsequently discuss the detail of declined applications so I wouldn't anyway :).

New editor applications are processed by meta editors and catmods. These are the folks who are entrusted with editor and directory management.

jimnoble, Dec 16, 2007 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  3. sweetlouise

sweetlouise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks jim for your input, i am still vexed by their decision to decline me.

4. Overclock099

Overclock099 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    -edited-

I think they have enough editor..:)

Overclock099, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can beat em :). First take a look at this good advice and then try again.

(Yes of course we want more editors.)

jimnoble, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  6. sweetlouise

sweetlouise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks, i will wait a week or so and then have another try.