1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

John Chow Reviews

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by UKWebmasterForum, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you do decide to get a review by John Chow be sure to let us know how it goes. :D

Lpspider, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  2. Raithe

Raithe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Raithe, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  3. UKWebmasterForum

UKWebmasterForum Guest

Best Answers:
    I definatly will. I might even make an article an post it up on my website and on DP so it can give other people an insight into the John Chow effect :p.

I actually can remember when he reviewed RSS Hugger, I read it, and some of that traffic would of been from me.

UKWebmasterForum, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  4. MISsupport

MISsupport Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you ever read a John Chow review?

I got a John Cow review in November and I did not get a financial return. What I got was some good tips from the review and the comments. I got a few visitors. It's $100 for December if you want to do a test run before going in front of the Big Beef.

About the same time, RSShugger was reviewed by John Chow. I learned a lot from it and save $400. :p I modified my business model because of those comments. Bloggers now have the option to add their blog for free or pay but less than before on other things.

Last week, he did a review for another site and offered some valuable suggestions that I also put on my site.

Paid reviews for a link is not a review. But when you pay $100+, it's not the link you are after but the review/feedback and buzz about your service/product. It depend what the advertiser want more: a link or a review? It does not mean that a quality review can't be done for $10.

Sure, I would had like the money to come in after my review like any site owner. In time, it will come.

Also, I'm against negative reviews because it does not help. Why not be paid for a product/service that you might like and still be constructive to make it better?

Anyway, the current version of 1 Cool File is very different from November and improving every day. Reviews can do that!

MISsupport, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  5. Irontree

Irontree Peon

Best Answers:
    Umm yeah. The guy is full of fluff. He put out some ok stuff when he first started, but now it's just fluff for his sheeple.

Irontree, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  6. silveraden

silveraden Banned

Best Answers:
    It's useless and a total waste... people who are advertising such way are pity obsessed with JC..:D

silveraden, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  7. UKWebmasterForum

UKWebmasterForum Guest

Best Answers:
    I simply want this review, for the one day traffic, not for financial benefit but for the potential members side of things. Plus he can give negative reviews, in a way which I hope he does as it will allow me to take his tips away with me and improve my website. If he gives a positive review however it will be very nice to see what he has to say. For $400 I think it is worth the risk.

UKWebmasterForum, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  8. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd rather get 20, or whatever, free reviews.

Wouldn't you?

Perry Rose, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  9. UKWebmasterForum

UKWebmasterForum Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, I would love 20 FREE reviews, but I don't see how a John Chow review would stop this from happening as well. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you mean, but if John Chow reviews me, it doesn't mean I can't get reviewed by other people for free too.

Someone else said in the thread that plenty of people reviewed them too, but that was after John Chow reviewed them. I just want to test the John Chow effect, that's all.

10. mizaks

mizaks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You appear to have already made your mind up about it...If you want to test the effect, test it!

mizaks, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  11. ruby

ruby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those that have had JC do a review understand... and those that haven't won't. I know for us at www.AdToll.com the review JC did was in invaluable from many aspects from increasing brand awareness to customer acquisition to feedback resulting in improvements to our platform.

Honestly it was the best $400 we have ever spent.

We have had free reviews and cheaper reviews done on other blogs but they had zero to little impact.

ruby, Dec 12, 2007 IP
    UKWebmasterForum likes this.
  12. UKWebmasterForum

UKWebmasterForum Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes I think I have but people are still open to give me their honest opinions. Practically everyone I have spoke to who has had a John Chow review said it was well worth the $400 fee. Read below.

Thanks, information like this REALLY HELPS. Like mizaks said, 'appear to have already made your mind up about it...' :p.

13. DrewAMP

DrewAMP Peon

Best Answers:
    Spend the $400 on multiple sponsored posts elsewhere. You'll get a wider range of audience, plus more backlinks.

DrewAMP, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  14. Woodcs82

Woodcs82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, you can get 20 or more small - mid and maybe even a big blog to review your site free.

Woodcs82, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  15. UKWebmasterForum

UKWebmasterForum Guest

Best Answers:
    I could do that aswell I suppose. You see I 'need' to test out this on this website before I do it on another one, because there is another website which John Chow could review which would almost make me a rich guy in a matter of a day. Plus, wouldn't you all like to hear about the results when I get the review?

16. jon2k6

jon2k6 Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it just all depends on whether or not it's a good review. I mean, to a degree. The traffic will still come in good or bad but the quality, staying power and perception that traffic give you will depend a lot on what Chow says.

Obviously people make up their own minds and even if John Chow said something was awful and I thought it was amazing, I'd still keep my opinion. But some naieve people who hold John as a sort of blogging / internet marketing god take what he says as gold so may tend to let their own opinion be swayed depending on what he says.

I would just say, make sure what you're getting reviewed is quality because I think John Chow has the power now to make or break a new internet ventures in his reviews (again, to a degree)

I'll be ordering one from him in a few weeks for a project I'm currently working on. Will be interesting to see what happens!

jon2k6, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  17. ruby

ruby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ruby, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  18. discuss4u

discuss4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    discuss4u, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  19. littlewhiteebook

littlewhiteebook Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm going to go with ivetriedthat.com - they do similar reviews & their price is only $50

littlewhiteebook, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  20. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    So you got your $400 back, and are still making money from the traffic, Ruby? :cool:

You were asked how many hits you got from his site, but for some reason, which I know why, :D you wouldn't say.

I don't know, maybe you just have a different definition of success.

Give it a test, UKWebmasterForum. See what happens. :)

Perry Rose, Dec 13, 2007 IP