1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Eating for two doesn't mean driving for two

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nevetS, Jan 11, 2006.

Just saw a story on CNN regarding a pregnant lady who got busted in the carpool lane.

Apparently, (and according to the judge) her unborn child does not count as a passenger.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

On the one hand, a pregnant woman needs to pee and she needs to pee often. I've been stuck in traffic with a pregnant woman and it is not good. Looking at the common wording of abortion-speak - when does life begin? Does it begin when you need a car seat? Kind of difficult to penalize a person for being inside a womb.

On the other hand, carpool laws were designed to get more passengers in cars. Maybe they should be worded as "at least two seats occupied" instead of "two passengers, including the driver."

Seems to me that if this woman pushed the subject, she could prevail on appeal, but that's just not practical when discussing a $400 fine.

I saw a study about a year ago that stated getting rid of carpool lane rules altogether would decrease the average commute time in LA by 25 minutes - which is typically more than carpoolers themselves save by using the lanes. Of course that's just theory. The jackasses on the freeway driving 25mph would probably just move over one lane and form a wall thereby removing any perceived benefit.

nevetS, Jan 11, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  2. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's stupid.. it's not even newsworthy.

So does anyone with a bladder disorder. Are we going to make it the "handicapped" lane now?

You're not legally alive until your born. If you aren't legally alive you can't legally be a 2nd passenger.. there's no argument to be made.

Not if I was the judge.

That lady is stupid for trying to fight it and use pregnancy as an excuse, and the news is even stupider for covering the story, and I feel a little stupider for even responding :D

yo-yo, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    At least it's a more interesting question than any of your moronic conspiracy theory threads, yo-yo.

minstrel, Jan 11, 2006 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  4. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Canadians :rolleyes:

yo-yo, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  5. INV

INV Peon

Best Answers:
    Where did this take place, 400$? She must be a repeat offender or something In because in Toronto they claim the fine to be 110$ as first offence.

Also just to comment on the issue. I would have to agree she was taking advantage of the situation. If she was about to go into labor it would be a different story, but otherwise it's obvious she was trying to go on the carpool lane with an arguable excuse.

I dont blame her though, if I was a pregnant woman I would try it too. and while getting pulled over I would put on a whole show pretending that the water broke and start yelling to "CALL AN AMBULANCE" while rolling on the ground.

INV, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  6. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's something like $500-600 fine here in Arizona. :eek:

yo-yo, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  7. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    The article said $371 - That sounds about right for out here in california.

Practically, I agree - that it is taking advantage of the situation. But OTOH - legally, a fetus (hate that word) counts as a life at the end of the first trimester - at least that's my understanding. When my wife was pregnant, I always wanted to use the 3+ lane on the toll road (it's free), but she wouldn't let me.

nevetS, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  8. Crazy_Zap

Crazy_Zap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have forgotten, Yo-Yo, that you guys have such a big problem with abortion down there. That's what makes the question interesting.

The idea that a woman claims her unborn as a passenger is no dumber than the idea that a President can legislate what she can do with that unborn baby and when she can or can't do it. :rolleyes:

Crazy_Zap, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  9. PlanetAndrea

PlanetAndrea Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think using your unborn child as an excuse to be able to drive in the carpool lane is dumb, just like the parking spots for "expecting mothers"

PlanetAndrea, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  10. Crazy_Zap

Crazy_Zap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally understand the parking spots for expecting mothers. It can't be easy to carry around all that extra weight.

Crazy_Zap, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You''ll change your tune, Andrea, after a few weeks of not being able to see your toes and having to pee everytime you cough :D

minstrel, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  12. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless she was going into labour or something then there really is no need for her to be in that lane. The idea is that you'd have someone else in the car with you that would otherwise be in another car taking up space on the roads. It's stupid to think otherwise. THat's why it's called a carPOOL lane for heavens sake!

Was she giving the a baby a lift somewhere? :)

blackbug, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  13. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That must be hard for you to live that way. :D

I think I should get to drive in the carpool lane, because everywhere I go I take a few million swimmers with me. :D

Hodgedup, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I would imagine she was giving the baby a lift everywhere... :rolleyes:

15. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lazy fetus.

Hodgedup, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  16. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    It was a joke Minstrel, hence the smiley that you conveniently chopped off in your quote before doing a "rolleyes" at me.

blackbug, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  17. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well the entire abortion debate is also dumb. We live in what used to a free country we should have the right to chose - end of story.

If you want to make exceptions for pregnant women because they have to pee alot - then you have to make exceptions for all handicapped people who have an inconvenience.

If you want to make exceptions because she has extra weight to carry around - you'd have to make exceptions for the 2/3 of americans who are overweight.

where does the insanity ever end-the carpool lane has 1 purpose-to reduce the amount of cars driving on the road-this woman wasn't doing that so she got busted. Big deal.

yo-yo, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  18. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Big deal! People lie to cops all the time.

"I was speeding because I'm three minutes away from going diarrhea in my pants and I need to get home....FAST!"

The excuses never work but it's always worth a try. Cops are idiots and don't really deserve my (or anyone's) honesty! :D

Crazy_Rob, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Where's the evidence it's doing that?

20. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The people driving LEGALLY on the carpool lane ;)

yo-yo, Jan 12, 2006 IP