1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please Don't Tell Us Google PR Doesn't Mean Anything

Discussion in 'Google' started by glasshoper, Dec 11, 2007.

A lot of people on this forum are saying PR doesn't mean anything - that it doesn't help with traffic and serps ranking. From my personal experience, google PR seem to have a lot to do with serps ranking and thus the traffic (since both of them are related).

On a positive side, some of my sites when they had a very low pr, they didn't rank high on google search and serps ranking were terrible. But since pr upgrade i got, the serps ranking has gone up and so did the traffic.

On the other hand, I can also say from my pr downgrade experience, one of my very new blog which i had just for three months had pr 1 and after signing up with payperpost, the pr went down to 0. the google serps ranking has gone down and the traffic too. :)

So unless you know for sure, please don't tell us pr doesn't mean anything. We would like to know for sure; not your guesswork or your outrage against google pr and doesn't making us undermine the pr. :D

glasshoper, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  2. digital1

digital1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think there's that many people who will say, "Google PR is meaningless"; it's more a case of people saying that it isn't as important as a lot of people make out.

digital1, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  3. intruder2600

intruder2600 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your website gets links, your website goes higher at serps, your websites gets PR. It goes like this, so Page Rank is just second effect - it doesn't matter :)

Page Rank just shows that your website is less or more popular without checking backlinks and analyzing. It's like ranks of old coins, there are three (i think) classess of old coins, first class means that an old coin is in great condition, but if you'll compare two coins with "second class condition" you'll see that one of them is has more scrathes, but they're both ranked as "second class".

intruder2600, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  4. alfalogic

alfalogic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As long as the Algorythm exists at Google, it simply means it has much importance. Otherwise, it would had been disappeared a long time ago.

alfalogic, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  5. glasshoper

glasshoper Peon

Best Answers:
    I am in doubt that Pr is just the second effect. I feel like although pr goes high as backlinks goes up; but pr also seems to have it's own significance - that is pr goes down (without any changes in # of incoming links), serps ranking goes down as well. Because all my backlinks are still there but pr went down and i have seen the negative effects in serps ranking for more than a month now.

glasshoper, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  6. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Not in every case and from the sounds of hit you've probably suffered due to other reasons. 2 reasons that comes to my mind is payperpost & 3 month old blog.

My example: A site was a PR5 sitting at top positions for a wide range of keywords. It out ranks older sides and even higher PR sites including a bunch of Wikipedia articles. Its daily average visitor rate from Google was approx 1000 a day.

After the latest PR shake down the site got taken back to a PR2 but today still remains on top and gets more traffic than before the PR update. So far, I'm seeing this happening on 3 different sites. None of these sites sold any links or had any links purchased to boost PR or positioning but they are aged sites.

Maybe these sites are still to see the negative effect on positioning but so far it hasn't happened which is why I agree with PR being a secondary. If anything, it does nothing but hinder your progress in the results due to time wasting chasing it.

Oh I did chase it for other sites that I sold links on. It's the only value I seen in PR and now we'll soon see a decline in its cash value.

cormac, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  7. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    People need to stop focusing on PR, you do not need it to rank higher on the SERPS. I have a bunch of sites that enjoy top 10 and are PR2

guru-seo, Dec 11, 2007 IP
    guerilla and gauharjk like this.
  8. mhmdkhamis

mhmdkhamis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    iam with you
    it important in the sites which have good content and update content daily

mhmdkhamis, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  9. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Once you bring in six figures yearly with low PR, you'll give up the dream of the green bar. Until then, you'll continue to chase the illusive 'fools gold' of Google.

Lexiseek, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  10. HostColor

HostColor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that the PR is just a reflection of what google thinks of your website importance. Basically it not means a high SERP or that you have millions of visits, but if the website information is meaningful and is old (as domain) you will get your high PR - of course you still need to use adwords or "sponsor" google somehow to be sure you will keep to grow.
    But the SERP comes from the keyword optimization and inbound links, not from the popularity of a website.

A.

HostColor, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  11. glasshoper

glasshoper Peon

Best Answers:
    One clear example i can give is you always see a website with pr on the top serps ranking; you rarely see a site with pr0 on top.
    for a google keyword phrase, one of my site has the exact title and keywords on the homepage; it has pr2. but for that exact keyword keyword phrase my site ranks only 3rd compared to a site that has pr4 but doesn't use that keyword phrase exactly and some keywords are missing in it.

glasshoper, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  12. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IMO -

1) 10% Believe PR is shit.

These people are either expert in social marketing/virul marketing/linkbaits and have capabilities to SPAM their way to the top/home pages of sites like DIGG & Slashdot or they are just fooling around believing SEM gurus like Rand Fishkin and Neil Patel who write nice stories for link-baits.:p
    For the expert- it does really work. But most of these 10% are blind followers of those experts without knowing much.

2) 90% - the vast majority keep faith on PR and its effect on organic SERPs on Google.

These guys are hard-workers- trying to find lots of high PR links with their chosen anchor words.

Just imagine if you target 10 highly competitive keywords- you will need 3 PR7 links/5 PR6 links for every words to be just inside top 25:eek:

How much hardwork -and $$ they have to spend!:eek:

But there is no other way out as they are just like you and me- normal webmasters - who are not blessed with the intriguing techniques of SPAMMING digg & slashdot homepages or buy through they way to the top of those sites only to get some organic links.

So -- PR is important for normal webmasters like me in order to rank high on Google's organic search result.

jhnrang, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  13. Hammerni

Hammerni Banned

Best Answers:
    PR means nothing actually but what you need to get to get PR means a lot :D

Hammerni, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  14. DonMecca

DonMecca Peon

Best Answers:
    What a lot of you fail to realize is that the PR you see in the datacenters for the toolbar and such is just a SNAPSHOT of your PR. This Snapshot can be months old, but Google continues to update these daily in the background and we don't see the true/most up to date PR figures that google is using to sort your search ranking. That is why you can see things like a low PR website outranking a high PR website. Also gotta realize PR is a major factor but not the ONLY factor. If you have high PR and poor on page optimization obviously someone with a decent PR but really HIGH onpage optimization would be able to rank higher then you. Even when it comes to backlinks if the anchor text that is getting one website that higher PR has nothing to do with that certain keyword phrase your checking but your website's backlinks all have that keyword phrases ofcourse your going to rank higher.

So simply put, PR is definitely a singificant factor which can't be ignoring if you want to be the most successful. What you have to realize is its a "lagging indicator" since its reporting about your past PR not current. As such things have most likely changed since the last PR update that you can see reflected in the google toolbar.

Anyways SEO isn't about ONE factor is about a spectrum of aspects that you must consider, search engines have come a long long way since the early days. I'm sure the next big search engine will figure out another layer of filtering to put on and that will be the next factor to add to the bucketful of previous ones.

DonMecca, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  15. glasshoper

glasshoper Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks buddy. You made a great explanation and it clears things up a lot for me.

16. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I lost PR on a number of sites that rank very highly for some tough keywords - I lost no rankings though. I even outrank some sites with higher PR.

Nobody knows anything about google "for sure" - but all indications is that PR has at most only a small role in rankings.

joeychgo, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  17. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I say PR is not important

And olso i say that you are wrong and your "experience" is not quite a good "proof" i'm a freelancer SEO and did many projects and my own sites olso and i repeat myself and will repeat myself untill people who can think and are not dumb will understant this PR has no conexion with the RAnkings viceversa a Good Ranking can mean high PR but not necesary ....

w3bmaster, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  18. lzy

lzy Peon

Best Answers:
    I too believe PR plays a small role in the rankings, my high PR sites tend to do better generally.

lzy, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  19. glasshoper

glasshoper Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, i agree like you said high pr sites tend to do better generally. i have been noticing that for quite a while a now and that's why i believe it is non sense if we say pr is not significant.

20. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    google pr really doesn't mean a lot in my experience, I'm more interested in traffic and rankings, not so much PR.
    Usually sites that get heavy traffic and have good keyword ranking, are high in PR.. It just goes hand in hand.

Brandon Sheley, Dec 12, 2007 IP