1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Trying to rank for keyword that is an abbreviation

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by chaos, Dec 9, 2007.

Hey all,

I'm trying to rank for a keyword that is an abbreviation and has different possible meanings. As an example, let's say the keyword is "RPG" and I have a role playing gaming site. Technically RPG isn't even a word, so is it still important to get links from gaming related sites, or does it matter what the site's subject is? Will a link from a site about Rocket-Propelled Grenade (RPG) be just as effective?

chaos, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  2. dbarretoivo

dbarretoivo Peon

Best Answers:
    Chaos, remember always that Google is a bot and bots are stupid.

RPG is a keyword like others.

RPG probably is very hard to optimize with half dozen of backlinks.

dbarretoivo, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  3. chaos

chaos Active Member

Best Answers:
    Right, but everyone knows that links from related sites are better than links from unrelated sites.

I just wasn't sure what sites google would treat as related for a term that has different meanings.

chaos, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  4. dbarretoivo

dbarretoivo Peon

Best Answers:
    Chaos, sorry if I was a little hostil (and sorry for my bad English!).

I don't know how Google sees if your page is related with links or not. There are some difficulties like the one you said. For me the better i get linked by high page rank sites, related or dont.

dbarretoivo, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  5. MichelRobinson2

MichelRobinson2 Guest

Best Answers:
    You can get link form unrelated sites.google will not differentiate. but getting link from unrelated site is not a good techniques.

MichelRobinson2, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  6. aira

aira Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you really want to have a good SERP position, just choose related sites as link partners..

aira, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  7. Synchronium

Synchronium Active Member

Best Answers:
    He's trying to ask whether a link from a rocket propelled grenade site counts as relevant because the abbreviation is the same as role playing game.

Why does no one else seem to see this?

Oh, and I've no idea either. I just felt compelled to point out how stupid everyone else can be.

Synchronium, Dec 10, 2007 IP
    chaos likes this.
  8. chaos

chaos Active Member

Best Answers:
    Haha, right on Synchronium!

Rep added just for being intelligent.

chaos, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  9. Kaudo

Kaudo Peon

Best Answers:
    hi, chaos,
    first of all, you´re not getting links from sites but from pages. that´s a difference. what would you say if you´ve got a link from a site like about.com? that site is "about" everything which means it is both related and unrelated to any other site. would you ask them to delete that link? i wouldn´t. each and every link counts but OK... it´s better if that page that link is coming from is "related" to yours and mainly if the link anchor carries "relevant" phrase.

Kaudo, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  10. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    If the term "RPG" is on the page you are obtaining the link from Google should recognize this in conjunction with your anchor text and deem it related to the pages content.

However don't get hung up on related links too much, if you can get a link somewhere take it. I can show you sites in the top 10 for some of the most competitive terms out there and 98% of their links are from sites as unrelated as you could imagine.

The worst a link can do is simply not help your SERP's & Pagerank, but send you a few visitors so you have nothing to loose.

sweetfunny, Dec 10, 2007 IP