1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google PR5, on Accident???

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Greg-J, Jan 10, 2006.

Hi guys.

I stumbled onto DP from Google, and have spent the past few hours just reading the forums (I think this is a great sight). I was reading about PageRank and was curious what my PR is for my blog. It turns out that it's 5, which from what I can tell is pretty high.

I'm just confused at how it happened. I only get about 1000 pageviews a month and I almost NEVER update it. There's less than 10 blog entries on it. The only thing I can think that could have done it was an article I wrote that was featured on digg.com several months back, but that only brought in about 20K users.

My questions is, now that I have a good PR, how can I benifit from it? How can I improve it and monotize it?

Thanks for your feedback in advance. Any advice you can offer would be helpful.

Greg-J, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Hi Greg, welcome to DP.

PageRank has nothing to do with visitors or content. Only with the number, and quality of, links TO your site. That Digg feature may well have landed you some links from other webmasters who picked up on the story.

Use link:www.yourdomain.com in Google to see those links. Or use the Digital Point Keyword Tracker.

You can't really benefit from PR unless you sell links based on PR (which Google would rather not have you doing).

You can improve it by getting even more links. Ideally form high PR sites.

Monitize it (PR) by selling links (frowned upon by Google). Other ways to monitize (your site) have more to do with converting traffic. Programs like AdSense or Chitika can help you.

I moved your post since it didn't have anything to do with Google (though it's hard to put it anywhere due the number of questions you asked).

After you got 10 quality posts here at DP you may start a thread in the Website Reviews section so we can all check out your site and help you generate some ideas on how to proceed.

T0PS3O, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    This is out of context, but I was just thinking how many (in)voluntary backlinks the owners of yourdomain.com and mydomain.com must be getting :)

Blogmaster, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  4. Greg-J

Greg-J I humbly return to you.

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the lighting fast reply. It was very informative. I'll be sure to post in the correct forum next time.

P.S. Is it just me, or are the people on these forums unusually polite and well mannered compared to other communities?

Greg-J, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I'd have to agree, only if someone comes in here spamming ... then we let 'em have it :D

6. Greg-J

Greg-J I humbly return to you.

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure I follow. I don't have any links or anything back to my site according to Google. When I search for link:www.mysite.com, Google tells me that my search returned no documents. It's pretty interesting.

Greg-J, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  7. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR0 as far as I can see for yourdomain . com, but PR7 for mydomain :eek:

Perrow, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  8. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    hmmm that is interesting and must have something to do with yourdomain.com just landing on an affiliate page.

9. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So thats what content does for ya :eek: now I know why I never rank in G :rolleyes:

Perrow, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Guys, don't confuse him by dragging it off topic.

Blogmaster meant that by webmasters always using the example www.domain.com or www.mydomain.com whoever actually owns those domains get a lot of free links. Nothing to do with your site.

And yes, we are the worlds friendliest webmaster forum. And yes, we do roast people who deserve it. So just like the other thousands of members who joined before you, do take some time to read the FAQ/Rules (link top left) to avoid any embarressments.

T0PS3O, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  11. ITExchange

ITExchange Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to have financial benefits out of your site, first you have to get a lot of traffic to your site. You can do this by optimizing the structure of the site and adding fresh and original content on a regular basis. Next, start adding inbound links to your site, from themed locations. Next add someting like adsense or some CPM advertising, and you'll start makeing some money.

ITExchange, Jan 10, 2006 IP