1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is best BANS or PHPBAY

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by priyaranjan2000, Nov 30, 2007.

1. xerive

xerive Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to use BANS but prefer PHPBAY and monetary wise my PHPBAY stores do make more for the same effort.

xerive, Dec 7, 2007 IP
    GTech likes this.
  2. cylai

cylai Peon

Best Answers:
    In short, phpBay requires customization from your part, but is more flexible.
    On the other hand, BANS is easier and faster to set up.

I wrote a detailed post on this at my BANS blog:
    http://buildanichestore.yellowebmaster.com/phpbaypro-vs-build-a-niche-store/

Oh yeah I would like to repeat again: Do not buy any of these program unless you are already an eBay affiliate. if you are in US, you should have no problem anyway :D

cylai, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  3. macewan

macewan Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a br caboose on the phpBayPro linkage.

Buy phpBayPro => Click here!

macewan, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  4. RAD1

RAD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    i have a question about how it removes or fixes the ugly ebay/cj rover url. what if you have uk/aus/can affiliate links? all in the same domain/site.

how would that work? does it forward the cj/rover link correctly to other countries' ebay links?

thank you. I am interested too.

RAD1, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  5. RAD1

RAD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    @hottestebayauctions.com: i noticed your cj/ebay/rover links are not masked or cloaked (not sure terminology). I thought the phpbay pro script did that automatically. Is there a reason you're not using the mask/cloak/redirect option?

I am the basic ebay/cj affiliate + the option to create your own link affiliate at ebay tools; and i need to learn how to mask those ugly rover urls -- i read that phpbay pro does this. does the free/lite version do it (are there 3 versions of this script)? i'm kinda confused as a newbie -- sorry if this is unclear.

i think there must be some htaccess mod rewrite or php redirect options, yes? but this phpbay pro only is for wordpress sites?
    thanks!!
    Nice site BTW

RAD1, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  6. decodethis

decodethis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The cloaked links in phpBay pro are awesome. I retrofitted the same concept into BANS because it's so cool. I don't release a site anymore unless it has cloaked links.

decodethis, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  7. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that this is the one feature that sets PHPBay apart from the others. Any chance you could pm me how you do it? Does it involve an .htaccess mod rewrite?

potentmix, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  8. haywire

haywire Peon

Best Answers:
    It's done in PHP only...

haywire, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  9. decodethis

decodethis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpBay does it by base64 encoding the ebay link and then passing that as part of the query string to another page on the site. This page unencodes the string and then does a redirect to that link. So the actual link and the PID are never visible to visitors, or the search engines. Pretty simple but very effective.

I simply did something similar in BANS by hacking the FrontControl.php file to change the displayed URL to the encoded version. It took a bit of time because it's actually also located in a different file for the content displayed if you say "Display Content on Home Page". I had to track that down. :p

I modified a default BANS installation fileset with a bunch of mods, including that one. I now cloak my ebay links, my affiliate links, added a sitemap, a bunch of other custom mods (like eliminating those damned "--------" that show up in search results); everything I could do to remove the major footprints for BANS. And it's all a part of the files I copy up to a new BANS install. Makes things pretty simple.

decodethis, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  10. adwordaffiliate

adwordaffiliate Active Member

Best Answers:
    adwordaffiliate, Dec 9, 2007 IP
    cfd107 and GTech like this.
  11. hottestebayauctions.com

hottestebayauctions.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Regarding the cloaking, I've not looked into that but shouldn't be too difficult a mod. I'll add that to the list for version 2. Please understand that this is not a plug in for Wordpress or anything like that so BANS would be the best for you to add eBay content to your existing site.. This is a standalone website with admin customization that I've created.

I've sold several copies over the past few weeks and people seem to be quite happy with the site. I've made a few revisions and upgrades based on customer feedback and sent everyone a free upgrade. More upgrades planned for the future. All I can say is I've personally made about $30 from CJ and $15 from Adsense in the past month from http://www.hottestebayauctions.com

I've had people email me and say they've made a bit more b/c their actually advertising their sites.

Here's the admin features:
    # 15 Minute Installation
    # Hand Coded PHP design with realtime java eBay feeds!
    # Google Adsense revenue stream
    # Admin Panel to customize categories you would like to promote
    # Upload your own Top Banner Logo via the admin panel
    # Determine which category is displayed 1st on your landing page via admin
    # No experience Necessary!

Here's the product website (needs some work but you get the idea): http://www.hitprofit.com

I'm also selling the product on ebay if anyone is interested.

Peace.

hottestebayauctions.com, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  12. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    Hottestbayauctions, will you please come in here and inform us when the links are masked? Also, please don't forget the images, as well.

I'm very tempted to purchase it once the links are cloaked, since I have a perfect domain name for it, already registered.

potentmix, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  13. priyaranjan2000

priyaranjan2000 Banned

Best Answers:
    Can any one provided me demo phpbay pro version. I going to buy it, before that I want to test how I need to install the phpbay pro in wordpress.Is there any step by step installation document available

priyaranjan2000, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  14. hottestebayauctions.com

hottestebayauctions.com Peon

Best Answers:
    We're working on it along with a few other cool features.. Should have them completed by end of week. I will let you know.

A friend just started a "Hottest Star Wars Auctions" site using the software.. Tweaked the css a bit, plugged in the ebay categories via admin, and had the site up in about 30mins. It's on http://www.thehottestauctions.com for now.

hottestebayauctions.com, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  15. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    It's just a plugin like any other. Very simple. There are a minor number of tweaks after uploading, but the instructions are clear and simple. Nothing to worry about.

potentmix, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  16. grayrabbit

grayrabbit Member

Best Answers:
    I have been using bans for about 6 months now and I like it. The SQL install part wasn't that bad. you just need to pay close attention to the manual. potentmix your sites look good.

grayrabbit, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  17. getprofitmax

getprofitmax Guest

Best Answers:
    I think Bans more nice...

getprofitmax, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  18. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm now using them both, I think they both have their place so I don't really see it as a competition because they do different things. I like phpBay Pro's integration with WordPress but I also like how BANS sets up a whole store in just a few minutes. For my needs, both are helpful.

Zibblu, Dec 12, 2007 IP
    GTech likes this.
  19. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    Gosh! Thanks

potentmix, Dec 12, 2007 IP
    GTech likes this.
  20. DebbieG

DebbieG Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello GTech,

I am just so close to purchasing your phpBay Pro. I have done much reading today to make up my mind about purchasing phpBay Pro or BANS.

I like the idea of using Wordpress as my total content management website, along with making it my affiliate store using phpBay Pro. I had the latest version of Wordpress installed on my domain. I can install the blog pretty easily. I was using the ebay editor kit for my store plugin, however after a little while my blog stopped functioning, and I never had that happen before. For example when I went to publish a new post, the blog wouldn't publish it, and this started happening when I started adding the code for the editor kit.

Perhaps I was doing something to cause this to happen, but I don't know what.

So I am wondering if this could happen with the phpBay Pro. Is phpBay Pro as easy to use as the eBay editor kit? If I can upload and install my wordpress blog and use editor kit, will I be able to easily use phpBay Pro?

Regards,
    Debbie :)

DebbieG, Jan 1, 2008 IP