1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Competitor for Google

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by toughguy, Jan 4, 2006.

1. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL! This fellas doesn't know how close he was. The guy actually paid $56 dollars for the template. Check out this link and go to page 5, bottom right template:

http://www.hypergurl.com/webtemplateport.html

That's previewseek!

EveryQuery, Jan 7, 2006 IP
  2. Lisa White

Lisa White Peon

Best Answers:
    Lets all agree, no one can compete with Google, they can try but good luck to them, i had used Google Ad word for the past Two Years and also Yahoo, but the best result from Google, not only that Google have listed my site www.mymovingquote.com on its free search engine, Yahoo drooped my site from its free result, but let me use Yahoo pay per click, so to get to the point Google is Number 1 and always will be, Yahoo full of it and if they are not going to change there altitude they will loose a lot's of clients.

Lisa White

Lawyers Directory

Moving Companies Directory

Lisa White, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  3. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Im not impress. It's so unlikely to be a good competitor

melfan, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  4. cantufind

cantufind Banned

Best Answers:
    I just did a check for you on Yahoo and got this RESULT Go to my search engine Cantufind.com abd we will look at your site for inclusion which should go some way to getting you listed on the engines that take their results from us. Any extra traffic is good traffic, I'd rather have one hit = 1 sale, that a thousand = 0 sales.

All the so called big guns are difficult at times and whilst you please one you might offend the others, the trouble is that everyone keeps saying the big 3 are the best and keeping them there. When we moan it is our own fault we put them in power. Start using other search engines, if they give out good resutls. I know ours gives as good as the others and thats a fact. If we take the power from them even to a small degree then they will need us and not the other way around. All I hear, is G is the best, followed by Y, then M, This is a load of rubbish, match my results with theirs and see if they are as relevant. Sorry to bleat, but victims like you get to me and that is one of the reasons I set up Cantufind, to give people the chance to work with us on what they want, and not to dictate to you the user.

Good luck and if you do submit your sites I'll make sure they get listed. :)

cantufind, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  5. toughguy

toughguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank a lot all for ur comments on the search engine..

toughguy, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  6. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They ARE the best in that they receive the overwhelming majority of all searches performed on the web. Whether or not some other engine provides a little "better" search results is open to debate.

But the big 3's traffic isn't about to jump ship and go elsewhere. They get alot of searches because they have alll eveolved into these mega portals that offer so many services. I mean, I go Yahoo Games to play some online dominoes, so if I need to do quick web search, I am already on Yahoo. The general public have email accounts with one or all of the big 3. If you are webmaster, you will continue to advertise through one or all of them.

A search engine like PreviewSeek or Canufind just can't get the masses to their site like the big 3. And even if they could get people to do an ocassional search, people still have that Hotmail account that they check everyday, so they will still use MSN too....

EveryQuery, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  7. liam_d

liam_d Active Member

Best Answers:
    People only say they are the best because they honestly don't really know any others, i could say 'name some others' then its easy they just do a little search and they come up with some.

A lot of other lesser known engines give good results and have better features.

This previewseek thing has nice colours, a nice layout but the results are poo.

liam_d, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  8. ITExchange

ITExchange Peon

Best Answers:
    My first impression was that this engines uses the yahoo or msn database, because for many keywords the first 2-3 pages of results were identical. After 3-4 searches, i found some search terms that prooved me that this SE has its own db. Anyway, it's not bad for a started, but I don't think this SE can compete with the big players arround.

ITExchange, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  9. cantufind

cantufind Banned

Best Answers:
    Parts of what you say are spot on for when a new search is launched, and it will be, they will have to be as good as Google, that ain't that hard to do as I demonstrated to a certain degree with my minnow of a search http://www.cantufind.com/?search=britney&type=web Which was what one of your fellow posters illustrated.

As for the second part, save for the fact that Google have billions in the bank, there is no reason to disbelieve the theory that some smart alex will pop up with a solution well in advance of Google. Even I have some Chinese techies at my disposal that would easily challenge the big guns if they were allowed, as the big 3 aren't the Gods of algorythmic interpretation, they just have people think they are! All it is going to take is a good venture capitalist to recognise that an idea put before him has real potential and fur will fly! No one thought a Guy from good old South Wales could use Bill Gate$ credit card and send him flowers did they but he did!

The time will come so you can all have a scoff at people like us who are at the very least trying to develop something near to a search, once David hits Goliath where it hurts as it will, then you will all be applauding the ones you once undermined as in previous posts. Ah, well, lets get off my soap box, done my speach for the little man, come on guys, lets not build the ego of the Superpowers any more than we have to, do you think they give a shit about you?

cantufind, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    You can always build a better mouse trap. Why Google (at the time , way back when) when you could Yahoo?

Mia, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  11. Lisa White

Lisa White Peon

Best Answers:
    Look, You can try any thing and i wish you the best luck with your Search engine, but no one can compare to Google, its so far the best result for me but again i spent fortune on Google adword every month, but i get the best result from them.

Top Lawyers Directory

Lisa White, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  12. lappy512

lappy512 Peon

Best Answers:
    and hotlinking off of alexa! tsk, tsk.

lappy512, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  13. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    But Google are not just a search engine. So just buidling a better search engine doesn't beat them. They are a rather innovative business strategy, founded upon search but becoming the broker between buyers and sellers through all sorts of channels.

geomark, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  14. internetcheers

internetcheers Guest

Best Answers:
    lol yea not even in the same league.

Its yet another "I made This...." site.

internetcheers, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  15. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just tried it here. Pretty fast and great results for the keywords I checked.
    Looks like promising ...

Guess they have a future

Arnie, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  16. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, they do have nice results... Search for "aquarium fish" ;)

Web Gazelle, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  17. topsites

topsites Guest

Best Answers:
    Lets remember google came along when we had no real www engine, after the Altavista fiasco and before anything else got good.

topsites, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Really? There were litterally hundreds, and at least 2 or 3 that dominated the market.

Mia, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  19. topsites

topsites Guest

Best Answers:
    Hype generally does mean bad news, that much I have learned.
    The speed factor I noticed as well, likely has to do with them printing the thumbnails of serps.

<edit... boy i am in a mood, guess i best get offline for a bit>

topsites, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  20. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah right. Computer scientists. The most advanced on the web. Better than Google.

What the heck do you people think you are ? NASA ? I think not even that would compete with Google. They make their statements very carefully at Google's address.

Cristian Mezei, Jan 12, 2006 IP