1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

beware of paypal

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by tony84, Jan 9, 2006.

im not going to slag them off or moan or anything but i basically had and am still having a problem with someone i paid to make a site for me, i contacted paypal who after 10 days had no reply so went in my favour they recovered $2, i recently checked my paypal accoutn and it said the matter had been closed, so i emailed them saying how can you close it if im not happy with the outcome, they sent me an email back saying they are still trying to get the money back and also in the email:

"This transaction was not covered under PayPal Buyer Protection policy
    for the reason that the item was not purchased on eBay."

i admit i have never and probably never will read the full policy and t&c's but in future i will be using a credit card as they cover you in most cicumstances (atleast RBS do anyway thats who i work for)

tony84, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  2. creepah

creepah Peon

Best Answers:
    paypal will always be lame, ive lost alot of money because of paypal.

Thats why i cant wait for google wallet to start, and show paypal what its really about.

creepah, Jan 9, 2006 IP
    tony84 likes this.
  3. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ive not heard of google wallet just done a quick search but theres no paages on it do you have any links?

tony84, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  4. randymorin

randymorin Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would you think that PayPal is responsible for a private transaction between you and a 3rd party, where PayPal is only there to exchange the money. Google Wallet will be no different. They don't have time to worry about petty transaction mediation. That's your responsibility.

randymorin, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  5. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    whats petty to them may not be petty to the person losing out (in this case it was but im sure that isnt always the case) and if you dont look after your customers then your nothing without them, It will be good to see a large scale company offering somethnig similar just to see how they may change, and if the petty transaction is covered on ebay then why shouldnt it be covered elsewhere?

tony84, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  6. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nothing's 100% secure in the world of internet transactions. Paypal is probably one of the least secure payments as it tries to be user-friendly but in a real world, it's not really possible. Some people have no problems after trading with Paypal for years, others (like myself) have basically been on suicide watch for weeks while their 'experts' look into my account.

Useful link: www.paypalsucks.com

As I said, alot of people trade for years and have no problems. Depends on your market, your target customer, your product/service type and where you're selling it.

Blitz, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  7. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Texan at Heart

Best Answers:
    Actually a lot of times you are covered more when using a checking account. Everyime I pay by credit card (when it is empty), they tell me that I won't be covered for such & such.

I have not read all the TOS either but I only use them for a "mad money account" and not as anything as important as my merchant account provider.

And while Paypal is large - it will have a lot of customers. And you won't be able to please everyone since more people tend to remember that one day in which there was a problem and forget about the 45 previous days when the money showed up, the products arrived at your door, etc

Corey Bryant, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  8. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    paypal sucks man, theyre a bunch of nazi's.
    :::waits for google wallet to launch:::

ly2, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  9. emanresu

emanresu Peon

Best Answers:
    If I were ever to pay anything using PayPal I would use a credit card with a low limit and if anything were to go wrong contact my bank directly to retieve a fraudulent order. You have virtually no chance retrieving any money through PayPal so I generally don't bother with anything under $50, you should just take it as part of doing business on the web, most of the time your ok if you check out the seller/buyer but honestly you gotta take the good with the bad.

emanresu, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  10. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    true, in future though i will be using a cc its a lot safer

tony84, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  11. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    google wallet? hadnt heard of that - any links please?

Notting, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  12. shahab6

shahab6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think paypal is great, if you don't like it, use escrow, its more secure. Its mostly virtual items that they don't refund, thats because how can the seller prove that they send it. With regular items you have serial number to show.

shahab6, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  13. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been using paypal for 4 years now as a business account. I have only had one instance that I was not able to recover my money from a bad deal. In the end is paypal totaly responsible for my money? No, I am.

If I would have checked the seller's rating on ebay I would have noticed that they stopped shipping items. I feel that just because a deal went bad and money was lost, this doesn't make it 100% paypal? Why should they take it in the a55 because I didn't check my risk level for the transaction.

ServerUnion, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  14. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i understand that i said i wont moan or complain, i was pointing out something i recevied in an email from then that i never actually knew

tony84, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  15. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    I always use my CC for payments, I notice that when you switch from bank account to CC they state that you are loosing protection from them also.

ServerUnion, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  16. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    cc's offer really good protection atleast the company i work for do anyway so i have learnt my lesson

tony84, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  17. Blonde Jon

Blonde Jon Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Those of you that have been ripped off how did you get ripped off? Do they cancel payment after you ship your product?

The only time I almost got ripped off is when I got one of those checks from Nigeria. I never heard of the scam before, but quickly figured it out.

I'm curious how someone would get away with taking your product for free using Pay Pal. I have a possible big deal that might go down, the customer is in a foreign country. I'm leary of any foreign sales as it is. How can I protect myself?

Blonde Jon, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  18. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i got ripped off because i paid the person upfront, i only did this because id dealt with him before

tony84, Jan 11, 2006 IP