1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1 large site, or a group of smaler ones?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Kylethompson, Dec 7, 2007.

Hey, I'm trying to make $15,000 in the next six months, and planned on buying and building a bunch of smaller sites (Investing a few hundred in each), but I was watching TV and heard that the creator of Bodog, a gambling site, is making up to a million a day, after he initially invested $10,000. Do you think it would be smarter to make one large site with a good sized budget, or a group of smaller ones?
    -Kyle

Kylethompson, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  2. andresh99

andresh99 Guest

Best Answers:
    It would be best to first master the art of creating a successful site that you can later recreate at ease. Just my opinion.

andresh99, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  3. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Kyle.. Small first then bigger..

Test the waters....

Tom Thumb, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  4. gotalkmoney

gotalkmoney Peon

Best Answers:
    A big one can make just as much as 100 small ones. The perks of having one website is that you're able to focus on that website 100%. With that said, you can create better content and you're also able to advertise it a lot more.

Remember, build the website for the user, not the money ;)

gotalkmoney, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  5. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont agree with gotalk.....
    Create the site ( if you are talking about thousands...) for one off visitors who will click once!

Tom Thumb, Dec 7, 2007 IP
    TomR likes this.
  6. Woodcs82

Woodcs82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Create one first, perfect it and go from there. Thats my 2 cents

Woodcs82, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  7. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Put 50% of your effort into 1 website
    50% into 5 other websites

Thats my say :D

Dreads, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  8. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are going to do social networking or anything like that, which is driven by user generated content or interaction, then you want one big site, like... um... Digital Point. :D

Then on the other hand if you are doing something about a topic like basketball or hunting or whatever, then you would want to do a lot of small sites. The reasoning for this is because you can focus your content into niches that can be region specific.

You could have one type of hunting that would be specific to a certain part of the world, like elk hunting or moose hunting or white tail deer. So you target that site as locationelkhunting or location.elkhunting.com or something like that. You build up a network of sites like that one at a time and then you can create one master site to connect them all together. The white tale deer visitor might be interested in elk hunting... but they may not want to read a 500 page site to find it.

Focus your sites specific to a niche and it may only make a few dollars a day or a week, but when you add the sites up that make up your network it will add up. In addition to that you then have a network of sites that you can sell advertising on. $10 per month for one site or $150 per month to be on the entire network of sites.

You can do anything with this, if you have an idea of something that could be narrowed to several differnet niche geographic areas, you could create a template site and then have 100's of sites up and running in matter of days or weeks.

jjpmarketing, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  9. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    From my past experiences with not only my sites but sites I have done freelance work on and watching other people. It is best to start with one website and have another "side project" website and focus most of your attention on the large one using same with most of money on larger one and if that grows keep expanding and slowly expand other. From past experiences of when I first started when I had around 10 websites and was making dollars off each one and having to spend almost 15 hours a day working on the upkeep of them and marketing and then I switched up to 2 websites and made a lot more because I did not spread myself so thin and had time to concentrate on the one.

But it really all depends on how big the niche is of the websites because some don't take any time at all to upkeep and others take A LOT of time to compete with others

primeelite, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  10. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One large site first, then branch out. If you can generate $50/day from the large site, then why not branch out - and try to make even more larger sites?

ForgottenCreature, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  11. excalibur

excalibur Peon

Best Answers:
    both of them :)

excalibur, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  12. conradmiguel

conradmiguel Peon

Best Answers:
    Concentrate on one website first, then when you find success, try to establish others. It'd be much easier to create another if you have established a one big site.

conradmiguel, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  13. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly - and plus, you can let your visitors know about your smaller sites on your well established one.

ForgottenCreature, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  14. .SR

.SR Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on your investment. If you have a lot of investment, then you can go with more than one sites. But if your budget is limited then I suggest to concentrate only one site first.

.SR, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  15. dman_2007

dman_2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the comments above, establish one site and try to grow it naturally, once you're making money from it create other sites,if you start making good money you can even hire someone to help you out

dman_2007, Dec 7, 2007 IP