1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My bank charged me £20!!!!

Discussion in 'Payments' started by johncr, Nov 9, 2004.

1. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Closing adsense for the coming months is quite near to impossible. Alot a reasonable delay for example every 3 months then you'll be safe

melfan, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  2. jarvi

jarvi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ozii, if you use Westpac they charge $10 for up to four cheques for the same currency. If you get to know the local branch people and hold a sufficient amount in your accounts they can negotiate the cheque on the spot and deposit the cash as cleared funds. Of course you sign a disclaimer that if there is a problem then they'll grab the money back. I think it is up to the local manager as to how they deal with them. Most bank staff try to tell me it will take 6 weeks and I say no, check with your manager. This is with checks way over US$2000. If they still baulk then just say you will go to a different branch that you know will do it.

That said, Westpac is still a crappy bank with crappy service but they are all as bad as each other and it would be too much paperwork to change.

jarvi, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  3. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Well, actually, if you're in Queensland, you could use UNICU (University Credit Union - http://www.unicu.org.au/)

I'm charged $10AU for as many cheques as I care to cash simultaneously, and the funds are cleared to my acct straight away - I'm yet to see a ceiling on the amounts.

What's more, the service is impeccable. They know me by name, and my local branch manager even knows my acct no off by heart !

I'm yet to receive bad service from them, and for me, that really is saying something - I insist on the best service. I've put them through the mill too - like: I'm getting wired x amnt, so cheque xyz will have a stop payment on it. When it comes back, call me and pull funds from x to cover it etc etc. VERY good ppl to bank with.

And you know what ? I'm a nobody. If you know banks, that says it all.

The key is to find a credit union or bank that caters to a large international community (like university students), that need immediate access to their funds. I think there would be a simillar arrangement in other areas/regions :)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  4. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Is it private or business account?

NatW business account presently US cheque on US Bank £5.50 and 1%

Just complain!

Cheques are valid 90 days it maybe an idea to bundle up they had an offer like
    £5.50 for up to $500 regardless of amount of cheques paid in on one slip.

Also be carefull NatWest has a computer glitch where they make you pay when you transfer money from business to personal account.
    Vie cheque it should only be .50 but they regularly overcharge me £18!!
    M

expat, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  5. ojm

ojm Active Member

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know how much Australian banks charge, prefrably the National Australia Bank? I should be getting my first cheque soon, hopefully it isn't too much.

ojm, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  6. johncr

johncr Peon

Best Answers:
    Fira, I did search this forum and found this gem:
    The thread
    Should I open a US$ account with NatWest or move out? Critical decision I hate $%&# banks!! :mad:

johncr, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  7. johncr

johncr Peon

Best Answers:
    I received an apologize letter in response to my claim. In short: exchange rate: 1.873, Comission: £5.50.

I thought you might be interested.

johncr, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  8. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    I may open the Natwest USD account as well. I'll have to find something to buy in America which I can sell in the UK. ;)

Weirfire, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  9. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Tip send it to your paypal account in $ and pay hosting / domains / software / membership fees etc directly to the US in $ also "saves" you vat if you're not vat registered....

M

expat, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  10. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    That's actually a very good idea. My hosting is a UK company but I pay them in USD.

Is there tax on currency exchange? I'm just wondering if it would be illegal to exchange USD for GBP with friends who are going to US for a holiday. I'm not going to be making thousands on adsense but enough for me to want some of it in GBP.

Weirfire, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  11. jontelofot

jontelofot Peon

Best Answers:
    My bank here in Sweden charges me 120SEK = £12 = $17. I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the checks are for more than $200-300, but if the checks are for less, it could be pretty annoying...

jontelofot, Nov 17, 2004 IP
  12. Rik

Rik Peon

Best Answers:
    Can anyone tell me how many days barcklays or halifax takes to cashout the Google Cheque ? I got my first cheque yesterday.

Rik, Dec 30, 2004 IP
  13. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Read somewhere twenty days but i guess that depends on what your location is..

crazyhorse, Dec 30, 2004 IP
  14. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Natwest are crap.

I hate natwest but just can't be arsed to move.
    I've used those guys since I was 8 or 9 years old, and in that time I have had many a bad experience with them.

My reccomendation - Go anywhere other than Natwest.

SEbasic, Dec 30, 2004 IP
  15. Rik

Rik Peon

Best Answers:
    I asked how many days barcklays or halifax takes?

Anyone from UK and knows about it? Please let me know.

Rik, Dec 30, 2004 IP
  16. Doortek

Doortek Peon

Best Answers:
    John, is it possible that you could open a PayPal account, get their debit Master Card and then have Google make payment to your PayPal bank account? You could then use the debit card to pay or buy whatever you want; or transfer monies from PayPal to your now bank account via ACH transfer without a conversion fee. Just thoughts... Dave

Doortek, Dec 30, 2004 IP
  17. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    Here in Portugal my bank charged me €11.80 for it... I'm now waiting to see how much time it takes for them to clear the money...

eduardomaio, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  18. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I paid 2 cheques into Barclays on the 29/12/04 and they show cleared in my account on 30/12/04.

On the provided form I used the 'Currency to Currency Deferred' option, this means the bank credits me the balance before they have received the funds hence I receive credit quicker. You can try asking at the bank for an explanation of the process, in my experience most of the counter staff don't really know. The last page o the forms also explains how the different exchange methods worked, but this just read as typical banking gobbly gook to me.

dct, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  19. Rik

Rik Peon

Best Answers:

Hey dude,

How much Barclay charged to clear your cheque?

Rik, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  20. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    They charged 9 UKP, this was to a business account but I think personal account charges are the same.

dct, Jan 2, 2005 IP