1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If Content is "King" Why is This Site #1

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by pbruessow@msn.com, Nov 20, 2007.

1. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ads don't matter for your ranking.

Exactly.

ForgottenCreature, Dec 6, 2007 IP
    pbruessow@msn.com likes this.
  2. Jason Green

Jason Green Peon

Best Answers:
    4 Possible ways to do this:

- People who have the Google toolbar installed - Google can monitor what people do

- People signed into Google.com

- Google cam measure the time any user clicked on the link and left Google, to the time they pressed the back button and landed back at Google (known as back button rate).

- If a site has Google analytics installed.

It is not a 100% definate but it is rumored to go on - and there are possible ways for Google to do it.

Jason Green, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  3. Jason Green

Jason Green Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a possibility that Google could take it into account. It is easy to measure/count how many ads are appearing on a single page (such as banners and contextual ads from well known networks). So Google may decide to take this into account in an effort to give users a better experience by not sending visotrs to sites full of lots of ads.

I have seen no evidence to suggest it does or does not happen. So for me it is still a possibile factor to consider. I never rule anything out that would make sense for Google to do until I have seen strong evidence Google is not using it.

If you do know of some evidence showing that Google does not use it then let us know - I'd like to see it - always good to be able to cross one possible factor on the list off :)

4. analytics

analytics Banned

Best Answers:
    .Com Factor matters alot ... wait for aother 12-16 months and keep building good backlinks ... u will be on Top soon !!

analytics, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  5. ForgottenCreature

Best Answers:
    It's a rumor dude. Marapets has 7 advertisements per page and they rank for "games".

6. thunderbolt007

thunderbolt007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you buddy sites authority and domain age counts in terms of SERPs..:p

thunderbolt007, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  7. COBSolutions

COBSolutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this as i have personally experienced it with one of my sites, where with a lot of affiliate ads google started pulling it down from no.1 to almost 20 pages down when i realised what was wrong and guess what when i removed a large number of affiliate ads, it was back there in 2 crawls- it does happen

COBSolutions, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  8. Jason Green

Jason Green Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I know it is a rumor - but there's no proof either way whether it is true or not.

If one site has lots of ads and ranks well doesn't prove or disprove it because lots of factors are taken into consideration when ranking a site. The other factors could simply outweigh the negative effect of lots of adverts.

I'm not saying it is definately a factor that is taken into consideration - just that it could be.

Anyway overwhelming a site about fishing with lots of big adverts is bad practice anyway - much more targeted ads embedded within the content of the site would be a much better strategy.

ForgottenCreature likes this.
  9. AverageGuy

AverageGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    great content is unnecessary == more links. it still needs people link it. my point is: add more content doesn't mean you will get higher rank for sure. for example, there are many article database kind of sites, there have fresh content from users everyday, but their rank is not high. many of them are low rank actually.

bear

AverageGuy, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  10. ForgottenCreature

Best Answers:
    You don't know what you're talking about. Having advertisements on your site has virtually no effect on your rankings.

Backlinks + on-site SEO do.

11. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen this scenario a million times - content isn't king, age is...take a time traveling trip to 1998 and put a website up :D

Pixelrage, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  12. abdulw11

abdulw11 Peon

Best Answers:
    This thread is just what I wanted to post, I've got the same problem. Been reading through it all, there are some really good stuff on here. Thanks everyone.

abdulw11, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  13. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed, advertisements have almost no effect on SERPs or Pagerank, but this again is coming from someone who thinks text link selling\buying should be allowed when it manipulates SERPs\Pagerank. No Phun intended with this comment :D

+REP to Jason to make this not seem like an personal attack. (When I can give more out, lol!)

astup1didiot, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  14. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    have you considered experimenting with other search terms since your opponent seems so strong?

ninjashoes, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  15. pbruessow@msn.com

pbruessow@msn.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Jason and Forgotten,

Repped you both for expressing some interesting points of view and facts.

Jason, I'm glad you brought the fact up of my site opening new windows when they link to another page. I started the site that way when it was very new and not many internal pages. I will fix that in the next few days to stay in the main window. Can you elaborate exactly what is hard to read? Is it my English or the style. I would really like some detail on this so I can work on it.

Forgotten, Thanks for the fact on ads. My goal is not only to post good content (hopefully better when Jason clarifies why my content is hard to read) but to earn an income through affiliates and Google. If you take a closer look at my site, can you give me some advice on which ads I should remove and maybe where I should place my ads.

Everyone who posted, Thanks!

pbruessow@msn.com, Dec 6, 2007 IP
    ForgottenCreature likes this.
  16. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Peon

Best Answers:
    I think from here on out, you need to stay away from any kind of analogy that may cross your mind...

Shadowplay, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  17. pbruessow@msn.com

pbruessow@msn.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I took Jason's advice and removed some ads and fixed the links from opening new windows. Still waiting on specifics for improving my content though.

As a side note, I want to add some of my cell phone videos to my site and it's 3g2. I've used some free converters off the web, but they all are having problems coverting the sound from my Krz's video (3g2). Anyone here do any video coversions form 3g2 to flv for the net?...Thanks:confused:

pbruessow@msn.com, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  18. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course ads won't affect your ranking. Does Google want us to remove their adsense for better SERPs? Of course not. It's their money machine.

wokaka, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  19. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    Another weird answer. some people ranked highly with domain .info.

wokaka, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  20. tomfrederick

tomfrederick Guest

Best Answers:
    As you are saying site is old and Contents are also old and outdated. Google does'nt care whether your contents are updated or not it just cares no of Quality backlinks for your site. Since its an old site so obviously it would be great in SEO operation. So Don't worry just keep your efforts on for YOUR target.

tomfrederick, Dec 10, 2007 IP