1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What would you like to get from a web directory you just paid for inclusion ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by hyper, Dec 5, 2007.

I am curious.. what would you guys like to get from a web directory ?

There are a lot of web directories out there. Most of them are basic. Not even detail pages but still sell links because the PageRank, but I won't pay only for PR.

I saw directories with PR3 who got more than 2000 uniques per day from Google (niche ones) and still they are not so popular.

I just got my hosting,domain name, and have the money to modify the phpLD according to the majority requests...
    I am the one who is starting a new web directory and asks you : What would make you to buy a link from my dir ?

Thank in advance !
    hyper

hyper, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  2. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    traffic....

an0n, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  3. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    traffic, quality backlinks, good unique content. Uniqueness is vital - what makes your directory different from anyone elses?

mikey1090, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  4. acuman

acuman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Targeted traffic.

For me personally, targeted traffic for your health category.

acuman, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  5. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Quality backlink that shows up well in serps and is indexed quickly. Unique content on directory to bring and propel traffic. Nice design and features for the directory also.

swedal, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think your meaning paying for a review, not buying links. ;)

Firstly the listing itself, as obvious as it sounds, an approval the same day that i paid for if your able to, because if i know your sitting there and just leaving a few pending in place to make it look like your busy then thats not cool.

For my listing not to be over edited, if ive submitted with specific keywords in mind and the editor edits away 90% of the submission to what they prefer to read then i would rather be rejected and refunded.

Ah refunds, please offer them in full :) if not full refunds then state clearly why you may keep a percentage of the fee.

Something unique, il leave that up to you, otherwise it wont be unique. ;)

Stay in touch with me if you like, i dont mind an email telling me of an offer, special, new feature, just try not to overdo it.

If your friendly and have no ego it makes a big difference to me.

Try not to promise me anything that you can have no control over, if you can just offer the listing then thats fine, dont tart it up.

pipes, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  7. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can not Make people do any thing they don't want to do ( in context with your Q ),

I would keep these things in mind.

People will make a decision within 30 seconds if they will even stay looking at your site ( perhaps even less )

So you need to capture their attention ( we are in the attentention age not the information age, that comes second )

Once you have their attention to enable them to want to ( rather make them ) submit to your directory, they will no doubt be looking at how you have presented other business / www sites in your directory, so each and every entry into your directory is important as you do not know which page they may view of interest.

Each owner has their standards, those with very high standards can expect to spend many hours on perfection, blood sweat n tears, but also enjoy many returns from prospective clients.

Many have said content, presentation, real / percieved value, good service and backup, good marketing and the list goes on.

Fall behind in any of the above and you just become another directory that ends up in the smelly pile of average / crap that is already out there.

DownUnder, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  8. slimjim

slimjim Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all, I'm always looking for a professioanl presentation of my listing in a directory. It has to be better than a text link, and a short description. Any text link directory can do that. Offer compelling features that the users to your directory can find useful about my company or website.

slimjim, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  9. Divisive Cottonwood

Divisive Cottonwood Peon

Best Answers:
    I would want traffic simple as that.

What I'm certainly not going to do is pay out money blindly here and there in the hope that a directory will bring me traffic.

I'm always looking for recommendations. And frankly, in regards to directories bringing traffic, I never read many of those on here.

Divisive Cottonwood, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  10. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I imagine directing traffic outwards from the directory is difficult though, you can have 10,000 unique visits to the directory but that wont neccessarily go outwards to the listed sites.

If it did and for example you have a large number of listings within your directory, and you can divert the traffic outwards then it would be quite diluted, just a few visits for each or most of the sites.

So to send good traffic out to your varied collection of sites, you may need colossal amounts of traffic and a honest but maintainable method for somehow making sure that most of the listed sites get good traffic.

So i think you would have to target heavily yourself to get traffic for every category that you have, in order to divert it out to the listed sites.

Would we be talking in the millions here? that the directory would need monthly, in order to feed properly.

pipes, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  11. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    dmoz gets loads of traffic but i reckon few sites get hits. if dmoz had SE friendly detail pages this wouldnt be a problem.

mikey1090, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  12. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah thats what makes me think, as you mention DMOZ and it being unable to send much out probably, i can totally understand any submitter to a directory wanting good traffic, currently unless a niche, it can be very very difficult.

pipes, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  13. Rezo

Rezo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The problem isn't in SE friendliness only.

90% of people who visit DMOZ are submitters (aka webmasters or spammers) that's why listed sites don't get any traffic.

Rezo, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  14. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    I would like to see the industry move away from generic directories and concentrate on niche directories that are a good resource on the chosen topic.

I just don't get why more of you in the industry are not going in that direction.

You know, environment, the arts, automotive, hobbyist etc

Wealdie, Dec 6, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  15. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    The most important for me would be getting traffic from users, backlinks are only secondary for me.

cool_78, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  16. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello...

well i suppose "traffic" and my link on regularly "indexed page".

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  17. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    the exact same reason why mcdonals wants to go worldwide rather than just 1 city. its the mass market v niche market question every time.

general directory = more possible revenue/traffic.

mikey1090, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  18. Rezo

Rezo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mcdonalds and general directories are to different things. A better example would be malls and specific shops. [e.g Harrods (a general mall) and a big computer store (a niche store)].

Besides, it's harder to gather trust if you have a general directory. There are just too many now-days and the concurence is bigger.

Let's take an example. How many directories of ancient painting sites do you know? I suppose then less then 2. And if you would open an ancient painting site, wouldn't you submit to that directory? Just because it's the only one in the market? If you wouldn't, then I would.

Rezo, Dec 6, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  19. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    Exactly my point - great post.

With a quality niche directory it will also be much easier to gain high trust in Google IMO - as an authority on a specific topic - rather than a general free for all

Wealdie, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  20. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    looks like traffic and uniqueness are the most wanted by the majority :rolleyes:

hyper, Dec 6, 2007 IP