1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Reciprocal Link Network

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by john_loch, Nov 10, 2004.

Has anyone heard of a reciprocal-link network ?

Sort of like the coop, only static (so to speak) ?

Perhaps a script that pulls xml from a server once a week or the like, and autopopulates a directory with member links (ie a directory with categories etc).

I suppose an automated reciprocal links directory of sorts. I know of scripts that pull/pop with odp data, but I've only found one or two with member exchange data.

Linksmanager is close, but I'm thinking more of a server app (ie php script or the like, grabbing linkage from a central system, like the coop, where your link is exchanged across all consenting sites).

Importantly it needs to have a decent membership, and be very time-efficient.

Anyone ?

john_loch, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  2. Ned

Ned Active Member

Best Answers:
    I could probably code one if you post some more info with exactly what it needs to do and how it would work.

Ned

Ned, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  3. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    This guy does something similar to what you are describing I think http://www.ihaveawebsite-nowwhat.co.uk/page-ranking/page-ranking.htm I did join up, but dropped out because of the lack of control as to the sites that joined... no biggie, I just didn't want links to sites claiming that all social workers are abusive and should go to jail :)

Trance-formation, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  4. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    You can try www.linkdash.com. Free for the first 50 but has a cost factor after 50. It has about 35 or so sites so far.

a389951l, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  5. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Thanks Ned,

I was really looking for existing resources ( I'm a developer myself )..

Unfortunately, the linking participants would need to number in the hundreds if not thousands, and there would need to be quality controls along with categorization etc.

I've pretty much passed over the ones mentioned so far for the reasons above.

Thanks guys.. any others ?

john_loch, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  6. digitalje5u5

digitalje5u5 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am partial to this one myself:

Quality Link Exchange Network. There are over 35 seperate websites. Each on with a unique IP. All of the sites are PR5 or higher.

The great thing about this link exchange network is that this is NOT a link farm, you get quality text links in <h2> tags and there will never be more than 15 outward links on a single website.

Also interested in any others you may have found that are similar to this.

Thanks,
    /DJ

digitalje5u5, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  7. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    Erm; correct me if I'm wrong; but a link should *not* be linked an h2 heading. That in itself rings spammy to me. A link is a link; not a heading.

Me 02c of course.

flawebworks, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  8. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Scott,

Thanks for that, however i couldn't find a ready list of the network participants to check the PR and quality of the links pages etc.

It is a handy network, however I'm really looking for something larger and properly categorized to ensure consistent/viable growth over time.

I'll be deploying my own Recip Links Directory in the next couple of weeks. It won't have the networking capability (until I have a decent growth rate), but will be more sophisticated than the current options about the place - I'll be announcing it soon, so if you'd like to participate, you'll be more than welcome (and your sites, from what I've seen, would certainly feature nicely ! :)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  9. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    That would be news to me. Can someone comment on this?

ResaleBroker, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  10. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    This may be a dumb question, but does anyone see recip linking becoming less and less important as far as google is concern? Do you believe that G is still giving as much weight to recip links as say they were 3 or 4 months ago?

Las Vegas Homes, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  11. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Resalebroker,

There's nothing wrong with H2 links, and there's nothing spammy about it. It always comes down to application..

LVH,

Linkage will always be important. There are a number of factors that influence it's significance to the SEM process, but it will always be the primary way to evaluate the popularity of a site or page. What it comes down to is exactly what aspect of linkage holds more weight - ie theme, anchortext, embedded, 2 way, 3 way etc. In my opinion, common sense always bears out. Just as placing keyphrases at the beginning and end of a page are important (much as you would the intro/summary and closing statements in a paper) so too are common sense linking practices (like how many of your outbounds are on theme vs off theme). Of course, that's just my opinion. :)

john_loch, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  12. digitalje5u5

digitalje5u5 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very interested. Please keep me posted on the status of your endeavor. You can IM me or shoot me an email at Scott Thomas' email

digitalje5u5, Nov 16, 2004 IP
  13. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They weren't shooting straight with their directory sales pitch but they seem to have a lot to offer as a link exchange.

CanadianEh, Jan 22, 2005 IP
  14. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Surprised to see no one mentioned www.powerlinks.com

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but isn't this the kind of network you're looking for?

The membership is over 1,000. All the links also show as BLs in MSN for sure, since I check that often. So it all looks good to me.

spdude, Jan 23, 2005 IP
  15. Vic

Vic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for a automated link exchange that will give you hundreds of backlinks automatically then Powerlinks, linkdash, link-swapper would be a good option. But don''t expect better rating using these services, all the directory pages are similar so it's just like any other link farm.

Have a look at http://www.Betterlinking.com this is an automatic link exchange but then unique without being a link farm.

Vic, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  16. Catfish

Catfish Peon

Best Answers:
    I am still seeing reciprocal linking as an effective strategy to get good listings. I compete for major travel keywords and do quite well still doing recips with sites that are related to my content and useful for my visitors. Isn't that what Google wants? lol. It's so funny to see all these theorys that reciprocal linking is dead when the whole basis of Google's algo is link analysis (that's what made them different). The thought that Google is suddenly going to penalize related sites for linking to each other flys in the face of what the web is supposed to be. Now if you believe like I do, that the Florida filter made links coming from same class C ips discounted, then you can see how people who got their rankings initially by linking to their own sites would think that reciprocal linking is dead. But do you think that MP3.com's link to Cnet is going to be discounted because Cnet links to MP3.com? How would their reciprocal link make the link any less important? Now they may employ smarter algos that say if your link is on a page with over 100 links and the subject matter cannot be determined by the content of the page (your on a typical unthemed link page), then that link doesn't count much. But I don't think you will ever see a huge devaluation from reciprocal linking because there is too much good information there about websites to ignore.

Just my 2 cents.

Catfish, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  17. Vic

Vic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Catfish, I agree with you. Link pages could be very well working as long as the link pages are as unique as other pages on the site. If people try to hide the link pages then it wouldn't give much value to the link.

Link pages are treated the same as any other page in my opinion.

Vic, Jan 25, 2005 IP
  18. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    One way to do this is rather than have a strict "Links Page", have a resource page. Write lots of original content to suuround the links and give some value to them. This technique may even bring you visitors as I have had resource pages rank quite high for a variety of terms.

yfs1, Jan 25, 2005 IP
  19. Vic

Vic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Vic, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  20. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Yeah, you're right. Deep linking recips are definitely a plus, and does work well. But the one thing that always plagues WM's is the process of acquisition - and yet *another* reason why the coop concept works so well.

Hence my request for info on recip networks.

The feedback has been helpful BTW folks :)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Jan 26, 2005 IP