1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Up to 3000 visitors a day and no income!!

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Trance-formation, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    My site www.psi-q.com is currently clocking 1300 to 2000 unique visitors a day (at peak, it has been over 3000). Unfortunately, to get that, it takes up to 60,000 hits per day and is burning bandwidth.

The reason this happened is because I was experimenting with a viral marketing concept. people fill in a psychic quotient test and get some code with which to display their result - this result is a dynamically created graphic which is causing the bandwidth burn up[​IMG]

It has been sitting around since June 2005 but just before new year someone thought it really cool and it has just grown exponentially.

It seems a shame to close it down, but I'm not making anything significant off the adsense, or off my other idea to sell t-shirts with the results printed on them, and it's currently hosted on a server with a site that does have e-commerce value for me.

Any ideas on how to exploit visits would be gratefully received!! The design of the site is not to great I know, as it really was just a vehicle for the viral marketing and dynamic graphics experiment... however, I seem to have created a monster!:confused:

Trance-formation, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Crazy_Rob, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    The bold purple on black hurts my eyes so that might put off some other people as well. I don't see any AdSense or other income sources by the way. Well, via the store link it takes about 3 or 4 clicks to get to a clickbank link. I'd make them far more prominent. There's space for HTML banners in the top for links or just images. Link with aff links from within the articles rather than a 'more here' aff link at the very bottom.

Overall, it just takes too long to get to something that might land you some money. Make it more prominent and I'm sure those 2K will convert.

T0PS3O, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  4. Golf - Guy

Golf - Guy Peon

Best Answers:
    Go with text ads across the top, above "Welcome to Psi Q". Most visitors won't click on that banner hidden over there on the side. It's a very weak position for clicks. See if that doesn't help convert.

Golf - Guy, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  5. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    New totally revamped look (actual site structure is much the same, but look is different and ads at top)

Lets see how it goes

More feedback welcome:D

6. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    Make the adsense look like it's a prt of you site. Have the same bgcolor so they melt in better.

latehorn, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  7. azn_romeo_4u

azn_romeo_4u Peon

Best Answers:
    looking at your site...right now...i think it should be making some money...I mean the ads I see are pretty relevant. Try using 300x200...those are the best I think.

azn_romeo_4u, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  8. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this an aesthetic point or can that be shown to have the desired outcome of encouraging clickthroughs? I notice DP uses almost complementary colours for its adsense! :eek:

9. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    my suggestions,
    Put large square ads in the text content itself - make the decriptions and urls subtle, but the links bright. - most news sites do this.

Turn the top nav into an adsense text links rather than banner (so it instinctively feels like a navigation rather than an ad). Put the logo above it and the ads where you wold expect a top nav to be.

Put an obvious "link to us and use this on your site" feature.

Add a donate now button - people will for some reason.

Sell some advertising space to relevant sites - 2000 uniques is a decent amount for someone who cant rank (use adwords to find the right person/ company)

Display relevant books/ maybe add book reviews for users to read and buy from amazon etc.

Change the left hand adsense to match the site rather than stand out.

Overall, I find complimentary ads work better when they are part of the nav and ads that stand out work better in content.

Design Agent, Jan 5, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.