1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"Article Website" guidelines - feedback

Discussion in 'Websites' started by d3scr1pt0r, Jan 5, 2006.

Hi,
    I am trying to setup a website following the guidelines in this forum.

I am aiming for :
    original content
    good positioning
    quick load times
    high paying ads were possible
    easy updates
    2 page website

this is what i came up till now: two pages only:

http://d3snetwork.com/index.php
    http://d3snetwork.com/article.php?t=test1title&k=test

and admin at http://www.d3snetwork.com/admin/

please feedback me,

i decided to have a list of titles for the articles on the left (20 max)
    and some random articles were the first part is shown only (5 max) in the middle of the page

When a user clicks on a title or tries to continue to the second part of an article, he visits article.php passing parameters the title (t) and the keyword(k) which serves like a category.
    on the article.php page he can see the article surounded by ads, split into parts, seperated by ads, and in the end he sees articles having the same keywords/categories(k)..

I am thinking of keeping the look of the page as it is, maybe add a "related to the category image script" i am making on the right.

I will post when ready about 50 articles i have been writing for the past year (250 - 500 words), and then focus on writing articles around paying keywords.

what do you thing about all this, (source code on demand if anyone is interested for a clone)

also , i have some ads in the main page that were supposed to be repeated with the dynamic regions, but i do not see them, is it because there is not enough content?
    and do you think it will not be good for the search engines with all the dynamic features and the 2 page thing?

thank you.

d3scr1pt0r, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  2. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't look very proffessional...but that's just my opinion.
    Ads seem to crowd the page too.
    I just don't like the layout, maybe it's the colors not sure...anyone elses thoughts?

m0rtal, Jan 5, 2006 IP
    d3scr1pt0r likes this.
  3. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    agreed.

your ads are okayly placed. but i'd remove the yellow BG if i were you. stick to white.

as for the second link, leaderboard at the top probably won't do you good. just IMO.

oh and btw you're not supposed to have ads on it now, since your site is esentially "under construction". :) might want to remove it. if you need to see the layout, just pick the images from the sample format page and use those.

devin, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  4. d3scr1pt0r

d3scr1pt0r Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oh ok, point taken, also the images might be better since most of the ads do not appear anyway caue of lack of content and i can experiment better

d3scr1pt0r, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  5. d3scr1pt0r

Best Answers:
    done some changes, like adding ads on the left just like the page links,
    also there would be random articles on the right, and latest in the middle.

I am not sure about the colours, should i stick to blue as normal for links or leave it green?
    I think i have enough ads on the page as it is now, i will try to get other content, like random related image or some rss feeds from other sites with content

now i am trying to work on the article.php page, maybe reduce the ads and study the google hotspots map

d3scr1pt0r, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  6. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    nice improvement. although i feel it better than you don't center the articles. looks very awkward. why not stick to left alignment? and for refreshment, might want to decorate the page with a few images here and there.

ad placement is okay (i'm not quite good in judging), although bear in mind that you cannot have more than 3 on any one page.

devin, Jan 6, 2006 IP
    d3scr1pt0r likes this.
  7. d3scr1pt0r

Best Answers:
    thanks for all the help and feedback, i am not sure about changes in the allignment of the summary of the articles on the main page, but on the second page i am trying to stick to the left as you suggested.

i am working on adding some images,

about the ads, i have them in a repeated region, but i do not think i can violate any TOS even if i put the script 100 times, as google always limits the number to 4 blocks in total.
    perhaps i will take out the right ads on the article.php page and add one in the end, just bellow my keywords for the article, so this will leave me with the big banner on top, the one on the left,the one in the middle, and the one in the end. maybe i should take one out but i am not sure which one.

also for content, instead of writing all the articles, i have started adding articles from http://ezinearticles.com as they say in their TOS that they are free to republish as long as I limit them to 25 per domain and preserve their original title and content and active links!

also http://ezinearticles.com
    http://www.valuablecontent.com/
    http://members.tripod.com/buckcreek/
    can be other sources.

hm, i was thinking should i take out most of he ads, and place a new one on the left of the second part of the article? like the ones that split a table in two...

8. d3scr1pt0r

Best Answers:
    added some amazon ads, i heard that it is legal to display them with adsense as they are affiliate links and will give some color to the website.
    also i added meta data dynamically to reflect the newest article.
    I also downloaded a list of 4000 adsense keywords so that I can focus searching and writing articles that might attract more people:)

I really hope this thread is usefull for people starting new websites..

9. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting username, took me some time to figure out what it means ;)

DomainMagnate, Jan 6, 2006 IP