1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have you been DMOZ listed recently?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Fahd, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Do you have any sites that were recently listed on DMOZ? Care to share the site, category, waiting time *sigh* and anything else?

Thanks! :)

Fahd, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  2. Jim_Westergren

Jim_Westergren Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Should I make you angry?

My friend got an empty (20 listings) brand new directory with a free script listed by pure luck 2 weeks ago. Waiting time about 10 days ...

Jim_Westergren, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  3. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Link to site and listing on dmoz? :D

Fahd, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  4. Jim_Westergren

Best Answers:
    No thank you.

People have been delisted before in similar forum threads ...

5. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm...interesting...I wonder why?

Fahd, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  6. Jim_Westergren

Best Answers:
  7. Jim_Westergren

Best Answers:
    I told him how to add a ODP clone from a free script, and by that he got listed.

The site owner is not so experienced and submitted his site to 10 different categories in DMOZ. One of the editors listed him, luck I would say :)

8. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    What would you do with the information out of interest?

Inexperienced editors make mistakes and list sites that don't meet guidelines - highlight them in a forum with editors around and they'll be gone before you can blink. I would say 50%+ of sites people highlighted when Resource Zone did status checks were totally ineligible and all asking for a status check did was reveal what the site was and where it was lurking. I cannot believe how many spammers went there and asked for a status check - it was a classic sting operation (not designed that way but that is how it turned out).

There was even one recently who managed to get past the instant we don't do status checks anymore message - why hasn't my site been listed, it's been at least 6 months, editors are lazy blah blah blah. Unsaid answer: coz your other site is already sitting listed in the category and now you've mentioned the fraternal mirror URL to half a dozen of the most experienced anti-spammers in DMOZ that latest submission is now banned forever. And we've hunted out and pre-banned every other URL you have on the same subject. And you nearly lost the existing listing. Said answer: words to the effect of thanks for the information, we'll look into it.

brizzie, Dec 20, 2005 IP
    Jim_Westergren likes this.
  9. Jim_Westergren

Best Answers:
    LMAO, hehe

10. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just to see what sort of sites have been recently accepted. I just submitted fadwebmaster.

Wow...I didnt need to know all that. :D I've submitted it and thats all I'm going to do. I don't think dmoz, PR, google, etc are the end of the world. I'll stick to brand marketing! ;)

Fahd, Dec 20, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  11. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    That is the kind of attitude that will make you successfull IMO.

shadow575, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  12. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Was that sarcastic? From what I've seen, this forum is mostly full of PR fanatics! :)

Fahd, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  13. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, no sarcasm at all. That is exactly what will make you successful IMO.

You pay attention to what works for you and all the while you are builiding your site with content that is useful to the customers/visitors you are targeting. They will find it because you have concentrated on making it good and useful to them, the other stuff is just icing on the cake.

shadow575, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  14. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    Not at all. It seems like a just advice to me.

riz, Dec 20, 2005 IP
  15. alhoop

alhoop Peon

Best Answers:
    Fahd... make sure your content is unique and original, you have to give a reason to the editor to include you ahead of others.

alhoop, Dec 22, 2005 IP
  16. pvsys

pvsys Peon

Best Answers:
    shadow575:

I believe that you are the DMOZ editor for the "Shopping: Recreation: Guns" section of DMOZ?

If so, please allow me to "make the case" for a website that I recently submitted to DMOZ.

Basically, I recently redesigned a website for Polywad Shotgun Shells.

http://www.polywad-shotgun-shells.com/

...which I'm trying to get listed on the following two DMOZ pages:
    http://dmoz.org/Shopping/Recreation/Guns/Ammunition/
    http://dmoz.org/Shopping/Recreation/Guns/Shotguns_and_Smoothbores/

Please ignore that fact that the site might not look perfect in non-IE browsers... I'm working on that right now... it is using leading-edge CSS technology that, at the time I first started working on it, was hard to pin down because of constant CSS-rendering changes in FireFox... but now that the dust has settled, I'm currently working on making the site more compatible with ALL major browsers. (if this is a major issue with DMOZ regarding inclusion, let me know and I'll contact you when this issue is resolved)

Now... regarding Polywad, here is why they are "worthy" of DMOZ.

1st of all, Jay Menefee, their owner and chief engineer, is perhaps the most innovative and most intelligent shotgun shell engineer in the world.

For example, go to Federal Cartridge's web site and notice a new product called "TruBall"... TruBall is a revolutionary new product which recently won Field & Stream Magazine's "Best of the Best" award:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/gearingup/bestof/article/0,13199,1127186,00.html

What does this have to do with Polywad?

Well... Jay Menefee is the engineer who singlehandedly designed the technology behind TruBall and then sold the rights to Federal.

As far as Polywad’s own products are concerned, do some google searches on “spred-r” and “quik shok” and you’ll see many rave reviews of Jay’s own products over the years in respected gun magazines. Also, see the reviews listed on Polywad's home page on the left side panel.

Basically, Polywad makes and sells shotgun shells that are ideal for upland bird hunting as well as the “quik shok” slugs for instant deer kills. In some cases, Polywad makes spreader shells for certain gauges that are simply not provided anywhere else in the world. Polywad is also the only source in the world for Quik-Shok sabot slugs. In other cases, Polywad has gotten reviews for certain shotshells as being the absolute best in their class. For example, many gun magazine writers claim that Polywad's Polymax 60x is the absolute best shotshell for Pheasant hunting.

Thanks for considering Polywad for the DMOZ directory... I think that the more you learn about the... the more you'll agree that they are deserving of a place in DMOZ.

Thanks! And reply back if you have any questions or concerns.

Rob McEwen
    webmaster for Polywad Shotgun Shells

pvsys, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  17. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    lmocr, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  18. pvsys

pvsys Peon

Best Answers:
    lmocr:

Thanks. I didn't realize that DMOZ did the categories that way.

Regarding letting the site speak for itself... I understand what you are saying... and some of my points are covered in the "About Polywad" page:
    http://www.polywad-shotgun-shells.com/about-polywad/

...and the world-renound work Polywad did for Federal is documented here:
    http://www.nrapublications.org/tah/Slugs.asp

...but to explain it all in such a quick summary on Polywad's own site might come across as a bit pompus, don't you think?... Also, for sake of time, I think that a DMOZ editor would appreciate the "condensed brief summary" that I provided above. (at least I hope that shadow575 takes it that way) I know that DMOZ gets a lot of "spam" sites and I'm trying to "break through the smog".

--Rob McEwen

pvsys, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  19. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Rob-
    Exactly what lmocr said.
    If you have suggested the site (and judging by the PM you sent you have twice) then when the review takes place the site will make the case for you. Yes, I am the named editor for that category, but I am not the sole editor who works in that area nor is it my only area or primary area of focus at this time.

I appreciate the fact that you feel strongly about the site and want to bring it to the forefront. I hope you will understand that nothing said or done in any forums will impact editorial review of a site. I am sure you can imagine what would happen to any editors PM boxes if they were willing to entertain messages of this type.

The best thing you can do is review the sites content and make sure it fits the guidelines for submission and suggest it to the single most appropriate category (which it sounds as if you have submitted to 2, no problem so far because one would be deleted in lieu of the other if more appropriate) and continue to build and promote that site in other ways. Someone (might eventually be me, but may not be) will eventually have a look and make a decision. The site will make the case, not what you have PM'd me or posted in any forum.

Hope that helps clarify at least a little bit, sorry if that isn't the answer you hoped for.

shadow575, Jan 5, 2006 IP
    lmocr and Alucard like this.
  20. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, my football blog was added just few days ago in a PR 5 page. Have a look now .

maldives, Jan 5, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.