1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are your sites suffering since Thanksgiving weekend?

Discussion in 'Google' started by j0ned, Nov 30, 2007.

Ever since Thanksgiving weekend, unique visitors from Google have dropped significantly. Pre Thanksgiving, my site was receiving anywhere from 90 to 170 unique visitors from Google a day, and rising. Now? I'm lucky to receive 20 or 30 unique visitors. What gives? I've attached a screen shot from analytics, not sure if it'll display within the post.

In addition, Webmaster Tools indicates GoogleBot last visited my site Nov. 24th. This is unusual because prior to Thanksgiving, GoogleBot was hitting my site almost everyday. I took the time to update my sitemap, resubmitted in Webmaster Tools, and still no visit from GoogleBot.

Did I do something wrong? Is anyone else experiencing this? I've worked pretty hard to ensure my site is updated with fresh, unique content almost daily, and up until Thanksgiving, my efforts were paying off. This is very discouraging and leads me to believe the information contained within the article in my signature is total crap.

Attached Files:

j0ned, Nov 30, 2007 IP
  2. billybw

billybw Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a good chance that this is a temporary dropoff. Sudden unexplained drops of this type have happened to many sites, but in most cases the traffic returns to its previous level after a few days.

No one outside of Google knows why this happens. I think it's some kind of technical "glitch" where data is temporarily lost from their database. But no one really knows.

billybw, Nov 30, 2007 IP
  3. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, my traffic has gone up since Thanksgiving. Do your sites have enough backlinks to bring back the googleBot every day?

ForgottenCreature, Nov 30, 2007 IP
  4. j0ned

j0ned Active Member

Best Answers:
    ForgottenCreature,

Not sure what enough entails, but yahoo reports 212 external links to my site (domain?). Is that sufficient? The site in question is in my sig.

billybw,

thanks for the info, I suppose I'll just continue adding content.

j0ned, Nov 30, 2007 IP
  5. igme

igme Banned

Best Answers:
    Looks normal to me.

igme, Nov 30, 2007 IP
  6. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, that's pretty good. Keep trying to build your backlinks. You'll be fine mate, trust me. Quality and unique content will help you a lot.

ForgottenCreature, Nov 30, 2007 IP
  7. j0ned

j0ned Active Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent - thank you for the words of encouragement. :D

j0ned, Nov 30, 2007 IP
  8. rmccarley

rmccarley Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably a shift in the market. Right around Thanksgiving I see a drop in all my web-industry sites until after the New Year. The ranks are the same, the queries drop because the users are doing other things.

On the other hand my English site spikes in traffic right before and at the end of each school break. ;)

rmccarley, Nov 30, 2007 IP
    j0ned likes this.
  9. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    My sites have seen a small dropoff since Thanksgiving. I attribute it to not having an e-commerce sites that people can surf and buy things on. People are busy shopping online for xmas gifts I think and not doing their normal surfing as much.....

Firegirl, Nov 30, 2007 IP