1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Arrrrrrrgggggggg! Dropped 9960! OMG!

Discussion in 'SEO' started by xinnek, Jan 3, 2006.

:eek: I changed my front page and my site dropped like the proverbial ton of bricks. My text is the same but I removed some of the images and added an rss feed from my forum. My page rank dropped from about 18 to 9960 on my best keyword phrase. Will it possibly come back up or should I change back to the previous page? HELP! :confused:
    my site is www.ridgelineclub.com keywords: honda ridgeline

xinnek, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  2. forumbulge

forumbulge Guest

Best Answers:
    I think you mean your SE results dropped to 9960... ;)

forumbulge, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  3. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi

I think you got tanked for the same color text / background in the upper left hand corner of your site.

In Mozilla it looks as if its meant to be hidden but I do not know the intentions or if a cross browser compatability test was done.

Exclusive Honda Ridgeline Information - Uncensored!| THE Honda Ridgeline Online Community | Newest Honda Ridgeline Images | Uncensored Honda Ridgeline News | Honda Ridgeline Accessories & MODS

Descript tag is a bit spammy

as is keywords tag and you have keywords back to back in the meta tag making this look like a spam attempt
    which I do not believe was meant.

<meta name="keywords" content="honda ridgeline, honda, honda ridgeline forum

Just from first look this is what I see...I also see you have Google PageRank is that same lower or higher than usual?

Sem-Advance, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  4. xinnek

xinnek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you're right, sorry, just freaked out. LOL Sorry, I'm just a greenhorn newbie. :eek: I guess I'd really be in the crapper if my PR dropped 9960 :eek:
    At least you can only go to 0 with PR.
    Do you think my SE results will come back? Should I change it back to the way it was?

I think I did the wrong thing, I read a book called " increase your ranking in a weekend" It tanked me didn't it. Any suggestions would definitely help. Thanks ahead of time. I was a PR3

xinnek, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  5. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    All those misspellings look spammy.

I suggest you work on the page.

Good luck,
    Shannon

Smyrl, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  6. bobertcole

bobertcole Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you really think G punishes for having too much density in keywords? I have heard that G ignores the keywords.

It's interesting that anyone thinks they know why G banishes someone. Thanks for your insight.

bobertcole, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  7. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    Don't panic! I changed my site BIG time, then the site crashed in the next update, then was back in the next next update!

Edit: Looks at the site. You do what you did at the bottom of the page and you just screw yourself!!!

Nintendo, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  8. forumbulge

forumbulge Guest

Best Answers:
    Well using the same keywords over and over again is spam, so yes they do penalise for "too much density" (otherwise known as spam).

Just don't do it and you wont get punished.

xinnek likes this.
  9. xinnek

xinnek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll change everything tonight. Thanks so much. I'll drop all the spammy stuff. I see what you mean. I guess sometimes you really can't see the forest for the trees.

xinnek, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  10. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Hi bobert

I dont think Google punishes for too much density in body content as many people have different writing styles and it is hard to say one is spamming and one isnt

However in meta tags...too many keyword is seen as attempting to spam the search engines.

Yahoo uses the keyword tag to match against body content to fight spam. So to score well on yahoo insure keyword used in meta keyword tag is used in body text.

Have a great night:)

Sem-Advance, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  11. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol dude that site screams "ban me, I'm spammy!"

ROFLMAO!!! Dude, you need to track down the author of that book you read and kick his ass! Plus many of your right nav links are broken (are trying to access C drive on a PC). Dude, honestly.... if you went to a website like that would you want to register there? NO! Then why make a site that looks like that?

mdvaldosta, Jan 3, 2006 IP
    xinnek likes this.
  12. xinnek

xinnek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Removed the spammy stuff. Better? any suggestions? ridgelineclub.com

xinnek, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  13. xinnek

xinnek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OMG! thanks I don't know what happened? All of my links are screwed. ????? Thanks for the help I'll get it fixed.

xinnek, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  14. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks much better, but still has a ways to go IMO. For SEO purposes, you should get alt tags on all your images. This is an oportunity to squeeze in a couple good keywords (don't be spammy, make a complete sentence or at least a key phrase that makes sense). Make sure the alt tags describe the image. Your not using any heading tags, h1 and h2 are very helpful.

What's up with all the white space... AHH I KNOW! YOUR USING HIDDEN TEXT NOW!

Dude, your just asking to get banned. You might be beyond help, dude don't be so damned greedy. Your gonna get banned, and don't say we didn't tell you so.

mdvaldosta, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  15. xinnek

xinnek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Was still editing. Didn't realize more were on the bottom. I'm gonna rewrite this whole fricking thing tomorrow. I think I understand now. Hopefully it won't be to late. Thanks so much for your help.

xinnek, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  16. forumbulge

forumbulge Guest

Best Answers:
    I've lost count of the amount of times we have picked up sites that people have posted here, and they are full of hidden keyword spam :)

Ah its fun.

17. xinnek

xinnek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hope this is better. Can someone take a look and see? I know I still have a lot of work ahead of me to get it right. Any more suggestions?

I'm going to vbulletin this month. I was up to 600 members last july and my site was hacked as was another ridgeline site at the same time. (of course, our other main competitor made out like a bandit because of this) I was down for over a month trying to eradicate the damage and the "nigga" phpbb virus. Lost all of my posts and members. :(

any suggestions would be helpful.

www.ridgelineclub.com

xinnek, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  18. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:

Ah... if only it were so easy...

fryman, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  19. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    First you had the 600 at one time so it is very possible to do it again.

There is a shite load of bad information on the web....never heard a fish salesman screaming "stinky smelly fish for sale" Presentation has a lot to do with things. That being said you are not the first to be fooled and certainly not the last.....I think it's a part of the territory ...we all have probably suffered a loss in some form online

I myself through stupidity of not backing up my site, saw a server confiscated taking with it 200 pages of clients results keyword ranking reports lost forever. My business was gone for the most part,,,kind of hard to win SEO clients when all the results and proof was gone..

Your determination will be the deciding factor in whether its too late..

Lastly it may hurt more but had things been done right the first time you would probably have 4 times as many members by now..

Keep pluggin otherwise its a 9 to 5 job,,,,,,,,

Run!!!!!!!!!!

Sem-Advance, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  20. xinnek

xinnek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't know to backup either. my host said the database was so corrupted they had to delete all of it. Lost everything. I've been still plugging away and finally got a great poster about 2 weeks ago that makes very intelligent posts and posts about 3-6 times a day. I was giving up but since her and another member who provides great posts showed up I'm starting to get more members even if they aren't posting. Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'll take it to heart. I really appreciate all of the DP'ers for putting their wisdom here and helping the ignorant fools like myself. :eek: LOL I hope one day to know enough to contribute here as well.
    I have one other question. I have an extra $200 to invest in my site. What would be the best investments?

1. upgrade to Vbulletin from phpbb
    2. adwords, etc.
    3. Directory or search engine submittal software
    4. posting service to increase the size and look of the forum.
    5. spend the money on a programmer to iron out all the bugs.
    6. something else?

xinnek, Jan 4, 2006 IP