1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this wise .... ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by iatbm, Nov 28, 2007.

I have a doubt if this what I am thinking to do is wise.

I have a general directory with some 1500 links in it. Since I have peoples websites there I also have their emails in the sql :D

Now I am thinking should I or should I not send all those "users" and "submitters" email announcing my bidding directory or I should just include link to my new bid directory to emails that are sent when links is submitted and approved from now on.

Any opinions on this ?

iatbm, Nov 28, 2007 IP
    MaryMary likes this.
  2. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it, however "some" users may take this as a spam letter and may just ignore it completly, or even worse you may get a bad reputation out of this.

However, doesn't your web directory have a email system integrated, if it does, you can announce your new bidding directory as a sponsor of your general directory. Would be better off this way.

- Meti

WatchOut, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  3. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1. sending out 1500 emails will get your email server blacklisted.
    2. don't spam your submitters
    3. looking forward from this point on, offer a 'subscription based' checkbox option on the submit page where people can choose whether they would like to be added and/or emailed when something new arrives.
    4. add link in email from this point on.

an0n, Nov 28, 2007 IP
    iatbm likes this.
  4. greece

greece Banned

Best Answers:
    you willing to be a spamer?if not,dont do it.
    every directory that send me a was being outbided get of my list.Dont worry guys if i went maintain my position i will do it dont need to spam me.
    so i strongly sugest you dont do that.because if this is also succesfull some of the submmiters will think that is a fraud going on.For the simple reason if i submit to be on top of a directory that have highest bid 29$ and after half day look again and i see i am outbided by 2 other links in the same day i would not put any more money but if i see it remain for 5 days and then outbided i will add money to retain my link leader place.
    Just my opinion.

greece, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  5. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Like I thought it is out of the question then. Will just put link in the footer of the email and promote it that way :)

Thanks for comments guys

iatbm, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  6. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes sending so many emails at once, will definately raise a flag. Incude a subscription option on the submit page and then you can send them emails. I think that is the best idea.

Red_Virus, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  7. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well If I would send emails I would not send those at once.
    Anyway I decided to just put into submit and approved email a little text about bid directory and that's it. Let's keep it clean ;)

iatbm, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  8. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your submitters trusted that you would not spam them when submitting their website - if you want a favorable reputation with your submitters don't spam them.

swedal, Nov 28, 2007 IP
    iatbm likes this.
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How many of us actually read the email in the accounts we use for directory submissions?

If it was news about that directory - I'd say go for it; but in this case I would only add the invitation to check out the new site in the acceptance emails. I would even add a blurb on the submission accepted page if at all possible.

YMC, Nov 28, 2007 IP
    iatbm likes this.
  10. Marty_

Marty_ Banned

Best Answers:
    Exactly, even announce a 3,6,12 month success story and then announce the new bid directory.

However, I personally wouldn't do it unless I could segregate accounts as apposed to spam submissions.

PS: 1500 emails is noting against ISP terms as long as they are genuine account holders

Marty_, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  11. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I plugged really non-intrusive message to email that is sent only to the owners of the websites that are approved. It is better I think than to send it to all. Especially since rejected owners can be angry sometimes :D

iatbm, Nov 29, 2007 IP