1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Five Tips to Increase Directory Approval Ratings!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Sejje, Nov 27, 2007.

I just made a post outline Five Important Tips that I believe everyone should follow to get listed in directories and improve the quality of the submissions. Let me know if I left anything out I tried to make tips that would help everyone but I had to have missed something.

P.S. PM me if you have a high quality free or paid directory, I am working on making a short list, should be popular and well known! (I know most of the major ones :))

Sejje, Nov 27, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good tips, i agree, except i dont agree with a limited amount of submissions, il always say that, you dont get accepted in them all and not all at the same time.

Submitting to thousands will help, it depends what your looking for, it depends how much time you have too.

pipes, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  3. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    Good points, I agree however many submitters ignore the submission guidelines (even if you have them on the submit page, both shorter version and a detailed one) which I truly dislike. I believe it is a submitters responsibility to make sure that their web site match the requirements represented on the guidelines.

- Meti

WatchOut, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  4. tayntin

tayntin Peon

Best Answers:
    Great post. Also, submitting to the most appropriate category is very important.

tayntin, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  5. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to increase the chances of having a directory listing approved:
    • Submit the domain root - not specific pages or subdirectories
    • Use the site's name (from the <title> tag) for the Title
    • Write a description that describes what the site is about - not a marketing blurb
    • Use correct grammar and spelling

Bernard, Nov 28, 2007 IP
    Obelia likes this.
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Although with spelling the editor will have to take into account the differences between UK/US English, often the submitter will be spelling correctly for their country.

Also a bit of Leeway should be given when a submission is from Asia, Eastern Europe etc as not everyone will have a firm grasp of the english language and in what order that some words should be written in.

But other spelling mistakes etc, understandable need to be avoided where possible.

pipes, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  7. Sejje

Sejje Banned

Best Answers:
    Great points Bernard, I agree with all of these. Forgot about the root domain that is one of the most annoying ones.

Sejje, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  8. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Where is the evidence for this? I don't think it's something that someone submitting manually to directories need ever worry about. I would agree with the other points, however.

As for the point about using the correct email, it's always good practice to do this. If your email doesn't match the domain some scripts won't let you submit, and with those that do it makes a better impression on the directory editor to have a matching email. Personally I don't insist on this, but some directory owners prefer the email to match the domain, so it's an easy way to improve your acceptance rates.

Obelia, Nov 29, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.