1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Drupal SEO friendly CMS?

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by dynn, Dec 14, 2005.

I just install Drupal....but I want to know whether Drupal is SEO friendly or not...

dynn, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  2. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes it is.

Though I haven't fully explored it yet, I was able to turn SEO feature turn on. Example here www.algogeeks.com

good luck

dshah, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  3. Windows-Update-Advisor

Windows-Update-Advisor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just turning on SEO feature is not enough.

I use pathauto to help in generation SE friendly file name. For example, see my Windows Update page in my avatar. Other addon such as flexiblock also very handy in placing contents and AS.

Windows-Update-Advisor, Dec 16, 2005 IP
  4. vrsane

vrsane Active Member

Best Answers:
    take a look at this one.... drupal and vbullitn forum integrated with SEF url's

http://www.myitblog.com

vrsane, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  5. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Could you elobarate why would you integrate drupal and VB. Drupal has built in forum system. On the other hand you can do pretty much all (and more) with just VB than what you can do with drupal and drupal+vb.

dshah, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  6. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll chime in with my thoughts...

Drupals forum module is lacking. The layout of vBulletin is so much cleaner and easier to see what is going on throughout the board at a glance.

Drupal has modules that handle nearly any website application. Though if you write php, you can do anything with either or without either.

For someone such as myself who likes to quickly throw modules and different scripts together to build sites, it's easy to see why someone would combine the 2.

I've only recently installed a vBulletin site and I'm not familiar with popular mods.

But with Drupal you can:
    • manage audio video and image galleries
    • add amazon items by adding item number using a module
    • manage various forms of articles and comments by users
    • create and parse various feeds
    • add reviews
    • create daily headlines...date sensitive content
    • Very flexible category system. articles can be related to more than one category. Difficult to understand at first but very powerful taxonomy.
      • e-commerce modules
      • event finder that can be localized according to users geographic locale
      • flexinode, for creations of new types of content
      • forms
      • splash front pages
      • keyword links for wiki-like functionality
      • pathauto, nodewords and other mods for seo

I could keep listing Drupal modules for a long time, but they can be seen at the drupal.org site. I love both vBulletin and Drupal for different reasons. vBulletin does a specific thing very well right out of the box. And anything I can dream up can be done with a reasonable amount of effort and the help of drupal modules.

jazzylee77, Jan 2, 2006 IP
    dshah likes this.
  7. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very nice compilation. I myself fan of drupal but so far hasn't yet put enough time to understand it throughly. I think some of modules you mentioned are very interesting.

Could you tell me how did you manage the various feeds, I tried it once but it never worked well (the cron always did nothing :( )

dshah, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  8. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    I admit I've had mixed results with the rss blocks. I use the core aggregator module to pull articles and display in a sideblock from ezinearticles with no problem. Pulling headlines from yahoo and foxnews works fine with this module as well. However it doesn't completely update feeds from a high school sports site...I've given up figuring that out.

I remember playing around with the aggregator2 module, but I didn't care for the results...forget why.

I did hack the aggregator a bit so the links would open in new windows. (I'm such a rebel)

Not sure I can help, but what module are you using? Are you displaying in blocks? What feed are you using? Does anything strange show up when you check the feed with a validator? Have you tried different feeds? When you say "the cron does nothing" does the aggregator show the item as updated but with no new content?

Depending on what mod you are using the feed won't update via cron till required length of time between updates has passed, and then only if there is something new to add.

jazzylee77, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  9. vrsane

vrsane Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the explanation jazzylee77.... It's very easy in future to expand the sites with very minimal effort...

vrsane, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  10. mirainfo

mirainfo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think Drupal is picking up the market. SEO effect is good but this would depend on the webmaster because if you just install and use drupal on your site you are going to get no benefit.

You need to manipulate the modules effectively in order to extract the best from it.

Regards
    MI

mirainfo, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  11. tips

tips Peon

Best Answers:
    tips, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  12. Stanleymathew

Stanleymathew Peon

Best Answers:
    drupal cannot be wrong at all.My thumbs up when it comes to SEO

Stanleymathew, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  13. seoecom

seoecom Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal is one of the best CMS packages with SEO capabilities. However many people find the learning curve steep and jump to Joomla, Mambo or other solutions. Many high quality sites use Drupal - MTV UK, BBC, the Onion, Nasa, Greenpeace UK, New york observer.

To help ease the learning curve I created 35+ free videos to help any one get started. These tutorials are part of the Drupal video handbooks. Here is the specific video for creating search friendly pages using Drupal.

seoecom, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  14. parikshat@vinove

parikshat@vinove Banned

Best Answers:
    Drupal is by far the best for SEO .
    If you've got great content to match, then you won't go far wrong by using Drupal.

parikshat@vinove, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  15. turbosatan

turbosatan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i have used joomla for a few sites and had good results using some of the free SEO plugins.

as was mentioned above i didnt want to go through the learning curve associated with drupal so i have stuck with joomla since then

turbosatan, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  16. gsv13

gsv13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla can beat drupal anyday!

gsv13, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  17. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is SEO friendly by default.
    And using some module ( pathauto - if I remember the name correct) makes it more SEO friendly.

Suri.CMS, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  18. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    vBulletin 3.7 (yet to be released) is outstanding in features that Drupal forum module is not even near by. :)

19. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry if it's dumb question. Where is vBulletin in this site ?
    You are not using it now ?

20. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The funny thing about your statement is that there is an ongoing thread since 2005 on Joomla where posters pointed out the superiority of Drupal over Joomla and it is still going on now. Of course nowadays, the Joomla moderators are acting all nazi-like and basically bullying anyone who disagrees with their point of view. A marked change from the Joomla of old.

I simple thing here is - Drupal can do everything Joomla can. Joomla cannot do everything Drupal can (heck they don't even have an ACL system, besides the core hack someone made, which will stuff up every new version)

BTW, the thread is http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,4364.0.html

Now another thing to notice, do a search for joomla on DigitalPoint and see the responses Joomla fans post - basically it is always alongs the lines of "Joomla can do that", "Joomla is the best", "Joomla will be about to have that in it's next release". You rarely if ever see any informative post like, here is How to do what you wanted for your site with Joomla.

Claudek, Dec 19, 2007 IP